Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Melvins in MPLS!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

Isoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to behold
Booyeah!
I saw the Melvins at some shit art gallery.
Those dudes can rock a huge one whenever I see them.
Imma go see them again tonight at Grumpy's.
I hate the art kids who were there.
Goddamn pretentious art fucks.
Imma give 'em heart attaxxx.
- John
Old 03.25.2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
That "shit art gallery" happens to be one of the better galleries in town, and has hosted more than a few good shows for little to no money, so you'll get no points with me by badmouthing them.
It does sound awful in that room for sure (and is lit like an operating theatre), but no worse than Grumpy's, which has an arguably worse atmosphere, being pretty damn Sports-bar looking as well as hard and boomy.
Grumpy's is cool when you can play outside in back, but inside? Please.

Anyone using the word "Imma" has no grounds calling people pretentious for liking art.
I am so sick of people talking about "art fucks;" who do you think designs those cool packages on your rock purchases? I like art, and I like rock. No problem.
A guy with a beard, unkempt hair, demin vest and a PBR is wearing a hipster uniform of another type, but a uniform it is.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 05:24 PM   #3
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Can't get in tonight, we're gonna go see Zebulon Pike at the Uptown, which is an apt replacement, if not better.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 05:27 PM   #4
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Hey CHOUT, yr signature is from Instrument when Ian yells at those guys, right?

"I thought "wow," what a bunch of swell guys eating ice cream."
Old 03.25.2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Zeb Pike are pretty amazing.
Old 03.25.2006, 05:29 PM   #6
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Yep, it was Guy though, but a stone-cold classic between-song verbal bitchslap! I love ice cream too though...

Old 03.25.2006, 05:30 PM   #7
CHOUT
invito al cielo

Oh yes they are Savage Clone. I haven't seen them in about 2 years now, so I'm pretty excited.

Old 03.25.2006, 05:34 PM   #8
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
Yep, it was Guy though, but a stone-cold classic between-song verbal bitchslap! I love ice cream too though...

I'm almost positive it was Ian....oh well. He usually is the one who yells at the idiots in the crowd.
Old 03.25.2006, 08:03 PM   #9
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

Isoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
That "shit art gallery" happens to be one of the better galleries in town, and has hosted more than a few good shows for little to no money, so you'll get no points with me by badmouthing them.
It does sound awful in that room for sure (and is lit like an operating theatre), but no worse than Grumpy's, which has an arguably worse atmosphere, being pretty damn Sports-bar looking as well as hard and boomy.
Grumpy's is cool when you can play outside in back, but inside? Please.

Anyone using the word "Imma" has no grounds calling people pretentious for liking art.
I am so sick of people talking about "art fucks;" who do you think designs those cool packages on your rock purchases? I like art, and I like rock. No problem.
A guy with a beard, unkempt hair, demin vest and a PBR is wearing a hipster uniform of another type, but a uniform it is.

Ok, Ok. You win. I don't hold the sort of art you usually see at the Soo gallery in very high regard. Yeah, it's better than some of the other galleries around town (e.g. Density, or that place downtown in the elliot park area, and there are still more, I guess, none come to mind.).

I also didn't say that people were art fucks for simply liking art. What I meant to say is that the people at the Soo last night, and nearly all the people I run into at art showings are pig fuckers.

Argh. This isn't a very cohesive retort. You know what I mean though, right? I mean, you've been there, you've read these people's paragraphs by their work, right?

I think it's funny that you mentioned the PBR, because as soon as they showed up with the stacks of PBR last night, you could read "PBR" on everyone's lips.

I know, I came off like a prick, but Christ you have to admit that in large people take themselves very seriously when they walk in an art gallery.

Fuck.

You want to get a beer sometime, and I can better explain myself?
Old 03.26.2006, 02:55 AM   #10
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
The Melvins were rumored to be coming here to TN. a while ago, but that never happened. I wish I could have seen them on tour w/ Tool.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 03:01 AM   #11
CHOUT
invito al cielo

Zebulon Pike melted my fucking brain...3 full stacks on a relatively small stage.
I can't imagine a single person into music not being blown away by them if they saw them live, even if they weren't into metal.
http://www.zebulonpike.com

Old 03.26.2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoflurane
Ok, Ok. You win. I don't hold the sort of art you usually see at the Soo gallery in very high regard. Yeah, it's better than some of the other galleries around town (e.g. Density, or that place downtown in the elliot park area, and there are still more, I guess, none come to mind.).

I also didn't say that people were art fucks for simply liking art. What I meant to say is that the people at the Soo last night, and nearly all the people I run into at art showings are pig fuckers.

Argh. This isn't a very cohesive retort. You know what I mean though, right? I mean, you've been there, you've read these people's paragraphs by their work, right?

I think it's funny that you mentioned the PBR, because as soon as they showed up with the stacks of PBR last night, you could read "PBR" on everyone's lips.

I know, I came off like a prick, but Christ you have to admit that in large people take themselves very seriously when they walk in an art gallery.

Fuck.

You want to get a beer sometime, and I can better explain myself?

We're cool, man. I know what you mean (as an art-type, I have been exposed to plenty of self-important pompous dorkuses).

I guess I was just trying to say that you can't contro who shows up. Plus, the Melvins play at places like that (it's the JUXTAPOZ art show, which is right in their scene) and at Grumpy's because they want to and they are friends with that crowd.
I think the heavy rock crowd can be pretty poseurish with all the "tough guy" trappings too; the Carhartt jackets, gas station shirts, etc as well.
I guess I was saying the art crowd doesn't control the market on pretentiousness; they are just easier to make fun of because it's a little more obvious.
I am a little protective of the Soo Gallery though; they are good people and have been very good to me and my friends. I'm not a visual artist personally, but my band released a record of a show we did in there an my bandmate is an art professor who has shown there in the past. I guess the phrase "shit art gallery" kind of set me off.
Better a shit art gallery than Big V's, I say.
Old 03.26.2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
We're cool, man. I know what you mean (as an art-type, I have been exposed to plenty of self-important pompous dorkuses).

I guess I was just trying to say that you can't contro who shows up. Plus, the Melvins play at places like that (it's the JUXTAPOZ art show, which is right in their scene) and at Grumpy's because they want to and they are friends with that crowd.
I think the heavy rock crowd can be pretty poseurish with all the "tough guy" trappings too; the Carhartt jackets, gas station shirts, etc as well.
I guess I was saying the art crowd doesn't control the market on pretentiousness; they are just easier to make fun of because it's a little more obvious.
I am a little protective of the Soo Gallery though; they are good people and have been very good to me and my friends. I'm not a visual artist personally, but my band released a record of a show we did in there an my bandmate is an art professor who has shown there in the past. I guess the phrase "shit art gallery" kind of set me off.
Better a shit art gallery than Big V's, I say.

I couldn't agree more.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth