Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page thurston in dublin...........(post gig thread)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.04.2007, 08:54 PM   #1
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
just home. wicked gig especially the electrified quartet of psychic hearts as an encore..... thurston had amp issues, namely the hired gear was not the best quality. the reason being is that everyones gear and luggage arrived in dublin, but not thurstons so no ecstatic peace merchandise, free sample cds or nothing, shame but as i said to chris brokaw, its probably in dusseldorf as thats where my luggage ended up twice on arrival to dublin!

small enough crowd but still and all great night and to cap it off, while i was waiting for a mate outside the venue, who strolled by only the tuff titty himself. stopped, chatted and signed my syr4. another true gentleman....ive only 2 more sigs to get on this disc now!

off i went in the pissing rain to liars which was phenonemonly good. totally noisy and totally outrageously camp!

great night had by all and im off to bed!
Old 12.04.2007, 08:54 PM   #2
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah, ive no pics because dildo brain left it on the kitchen table earlier, i thought of it half way to gig!
Old 12.04.2007, 09:58 PM   #3
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
How mnay ppl were there?
RanaldoNecro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Shane Nanou
empty page

Shane Nanou is a name known to allShane Nanou is a name known to allShane Nanou is a name known to allShane Nanou is a name known to allShane Nanou is a name known to allShane Nanou is a name known to all
i would say there a few hundred at it. no idea what the capacity of the place is but it seemed pretty full to me. it was a fun gig - the bass player was cool and steve shelley looked like he was having a blast. when i saw all the acoustic guitars on stage i expected things to be gentle but not a bit of it - they were really brash and loud, kinda shrill and abrasive too. the electric guitars in the encore were softer and easier on the ears. TM seemed to be in jolly form and enjoying himself. i couldnt hear the violin very well.

thecosmicnanou from the old board...
Shane Nanou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2007, 06:21 AM   #5
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

id say there was a three quarter capacity. i was at battles there and that was a sell out, it certainly wasnt a sell out.. maybe a thousand? not sure maybe 2
Old 12.05.2007, 06:43 AM   #6
RoadkillKid
little trouble girl

RoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's asses
Some pics and video from last night.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&id=551546680

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yUD3gIj8Glw
RoadkillKid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2007, 09:50 AM   #7
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

excellent!
Old 12.05.2007, 09:51 AM   #8
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
superfantasticwow
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2007, 10:54 AM   #9
RoadkillKid
little trouble girl

RoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadkillKid

And one more. Queen Bee. And her pals.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bL9g_jVRCM4
Old 12.05.2007, 10:56 AM   #10
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for pics and vids!
Glad you guys had fun!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2007, 11:30 AM   #11
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, great show. Thurston in great form. there was something with sound last night, something not right. wasn't that bad in the end. they played on borrowed amps. Thurston's amp gone straight away in the beginnig. perhaps longest intro to the Frozen Gtr. on this tour. (9 min. - while fixing the amp). some cool Thurston's comments in between songs. set itself lasted only for about an hour. haven't meet anybody from the band. talked only to Erik for a sec. (Thurston's guitar tech., who was recording the show by the way, straight from the sounboard to his apple. now i know there must be plenty SY sounboard sources, hehe). he told me same, that some stuff never turned up, so no merch table.

the place wasn't packed with the audience. still plenty room in the back of the venue. front (up till sounboard) was pretty crowded.

i've recorded the whole show. recording turned out to be pretty good actually, better then the last one I did (still...want/need to upgrade my gear). I'll share it on Dime around the weekend, for those who want to grab it. maybe there's more audience sources. saw somebody was filming it as well. hope it will surface somewhere.

Setlist (in order):

Frozen Gtr.
The Shape Is In The Trance
Silver>Blue
Off Work
Fri/End
Wonderful Witches + Language Meanies
Never Day
Honest James
Trees Outside The Academy
---------------------------
encore
---------------------------
Queen Bee And Her Pals
Feathers
Staring Statues
Patti Smith Math Scratch
Psychic Hearts

going see Thurston play in Paris next tuesday. hope they have their amps and merch table back by that time (and that the Londoners and ATPers wont buy it all so still something left, hehe).

oh yeah, glad we made it for Liars as well last night. seen them first time. pretty cool. recorded it as well.

thanks for pics!
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2007, 12:55 PM   #12
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i got to the gig shortly after the doors opened, and was standing by the sound desk for the best part of the night,

about 20 min before the supporting act came on a very Thurston-like creature emergerd from a set of double doors to the side of the stage, he walked thru the crowd looking like he was a man on a mission and looking for someone, after a little game of "it's not.... is it??? .. nahh it cant be ... IT FUCKIN IS!!!" between my buddy and myself, we decicded it was none other than big T, just as he was about to disappear between the double doors again i took my chance and walked after him, i shouted "Thurston" to which he turned around and said "yeah?"... now i'm talking serious fuckin knee trembling shit right here, i said "its you!... yr fuckin Thurston Moore man!" he said "i am yes" to which i said "but you just walked out here and no body apporached you" he just laughed and shook my hand (nice and firm handshake might i add) he told me he had to go, and i told him i loved him to which he turned his mop back round to face me, gave me a thumbs up and said "thanks man"

single handedly the best moment in my otherwise shitty boring existance...

oh, and the gig was class also!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thurston.jpg (19.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg steve and groovy basist.jpg (20.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg thurston and steve.jpg (15.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 12.05.2007, 05:32 PM   #13
cbeattie
empty page

cbeattie is a jewel in the roughcbeattie is a jewel in the roughcbeattie is a jewel in the rough
Not much extra to add to comments so far...Think capacity in Tripod is 1200; I'd say there were an easy 600 there last night. Lovely venue, Tripod, but even with a small audience the heat in the place could easily become too much. I was right up the front, doing a little bit of shifting from foot to foot in lip service to dancing, but as the gig was probably no more than half full, and only about every other 11th person was making any effort to express themselves physically listening to the music, I was surprised how warm it was. Similar issues with previous gigs there: Battles, Underworld, Richie Hawtin, at which the heat was so immense that cold condensation was dripping from the ceiling...yes, I mean sweat.

TM had sound issues but they did not detract from the gig. Only heard the CD twice in car on way to gig, but enjoyed it, beyond simple awestruck fanboydom.

Left work, drove 4 hrs for gig; spent half hour driving around trying to find parking; got there just in time for gig-opener; after gig drove 10 mins in wrong direction before heading back the 140miles home. Somehow made it to work today with no problems. Such an effort would only be made for SY or an SY member...

Have some photos which I may get around to posting someday, but I'm really not very good at that kinda thing.

Regards

cbeattie
cbeattie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2007, 07:27 PM   #14
Alan ciccone
bad moon rising

Alan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it was a great show. was singing along to everything but not many around me seemed to be into it. when the psychic hearts stuff came on a couple of guys around me got really excited, those songs sounded particularly great. I got all the between song banter on video, I'll put it up tomorrow. patti smith math scratch and psychic hearts were real standout performances
Alan ciccone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2007, 04:20 AM   #15
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
which was the lenght of the show?
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2007, 06:37 AM   #16
RoadkillKid
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergisonic
which was the lenght of the show?

Not much longer than an hour, all told. I think because the same promoters put on a show by Liars in another venue up the road they asked Thurston to be finished by no later than half 10 so anyone who wanted could stroll up and see them. A few of us legged it up there, and they were surprisingly good.
Old 12.06.2007, 07:42 AM   #17
Swordfishtrombones
empty page

Swordfishtrombones has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadkillKid
Not much longer than an hour, all told. I think because the same promoters put on a show by Liars in another venue up the road they asked Thurston to be finished by no later than half 10 so anyone who wanted could stroll up and see them. A few of us legged it up there, and they were surprisingly good.

That's not entirely true. U:Mack put on Liars and I think Pod put on Thurston. U:Mack moved the Liars stage time when lots of people mailed them asking it it'd be possible to do as they wanted to go to both gigs.

But regardless of that Thurston would have had to have been over by 10:30 as that's the standard curfew in the venue. In fact the Liars promotors indicated online last week that it was their understanding that that's when Thurston would play till.

Hi, I'm new.
Swordfishtrombones is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2007, 03:47 PM   #18
Kurt
empty page

Kurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
i
about 20 min before the supporting act came on a very Thurston-like creature emergerd from a set of double doors to the side of the stage, he walked thru the crowd looking like he was a man on a mission and looking for someone, after a little game of "it's not.... is it??? .. nahh it cant be ... IT FUCKIN IS!!!" between my buddy and myself, we decicded it was none other than big T, just as he was about to disappear between the double doors again i took my chance and walked after him, i shouted "Thurston" to which he turned around and said "yeah?"... now i'm talking serious fuckin knee trembling shit right here, i said "its you!... yr fuckin Thurston Moore man!" he said "i am yes" to which i said "but you just walked out here and no body apporached you" he just laughed and shook my hand (nice and firm handshake might i add) he told me he had to go, and i told him i loved him to which he turned his mop back round to face me, gave me a thumbs up and said "thanks man"

I think I saw that happen! You were at the side of the stage just in front of the door leading to the backstage weren'it you?
The Man seemed to be in such a rush, was too quick for me to catch him...
I was so jealous of you!
Kurt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2007, 05:30 PM   #19
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CosC1Xcp6RE
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2007, 07:11 PM   #20
Kurt
empty page

Kurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud ofKurt has much to be proud of
Some pictures from the gig:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtbuh...7603410685667/
Kurt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth