Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth in Portugal
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.23.2010, 12:19 PM   #41
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
the crowd in Lisboa was fantastic- foot stomping, name chanting, crowd surfing, it almost felt like 1990, not 2010. I think the fact this was an all ages show helped a lot. I think this is why the band responded so good, I think to make a great show band makes 50% and crowd makes 50 %, and this show was 100%. Also the sound in this venue was very good, very good sound mix, the best sounding show so far I think (not too loud, very clear sound).

also went to ZDF the night before, it was sold out (capacity there is about 75 people) but the girl said no problem you will get in and yes it was true. I think everyone that wanted to eventually did get in. this is very nice little place and nice people, good place to hang out have a beer etc- Lee R and Rafael Toral played a pretty long set (about 1 hour?) and one thing that happened which was funny this girl in a red shirt was standing right in front of Lee and when he swung his guitar on the tether it bonked her on the head (not too hard). Also the drunk people looking in through the large plate glass window wondering what the hell was going on... (almost forgot - the big gigantic dog sleeping in the lobby! you had to be there...)
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 02:06 PM   #42
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Agree on the crowd George, I mean why should the band put it out there if it isn't being received. That was pretty much the same show we had in Boston and the Boston crowd was excellent with just the right mix of older sonics like myself and younger sonics like my son.
Old 04.23.2010, 06:56 PM   #43
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
Fantastic gig in Porto. Tomorrow the details

Setlist:
1. No Way
2. Sacred Trickster
3. Calming The Snake
4. Anti-Orgasm
5. Catholic Block
6. Malibou Gas Station
7. Walkin Blue
8. Poison Arrow
9. Stereo Sanctity
10. Antenna
11. Leaky Lifeboat
12. What We Know
13. Massage The History

Encore 1
14. Sprawl
15. Cross The Breeze

Encore 2
16. Candle
17. Death Valley 69
18. tape

CORRECTED
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 07:02 PM   #44
logicalharm
little trouble girl

logicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asses
Pipeline/Kill Time....I can't even imagine. Why do I always have to get into bands just months after I could have seen them?
logicalharm is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 10:33 PM   #45
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I strongly suspect he meant 'Stereo Sanctity'...... but you never know!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2010, 05:40 AM   #46
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I strongly suspect he meant 'Stereo Sanctity'...... but you never know!

He did.
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2010, 12:53 PM   #47
logicalharm
little trouble girl

logicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asses
Ok even I thought that was a bit off, because the only video I could find of Pipeline/Kill time was from the late 80s, haha. I wish it were true though!
logicalharm is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2010, 01:25 PM   #48
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalharm
Ok even I thought that was a bit off, because the only video I could find of Pipeline/Kill time was from the late 80s, haha. I wish it were true though!

Sorry.
Old 04.24.2010, 02:18 PM   #49
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
the crowd in Lisboa was fantastic- foot stomping, name chanting, crowd surfing, it almost felt like 1990, not 2010. I think the fact this was an all ages show helped a lot. I think this is why the band responded so good, I think to make a great show band makes 50% and crowd makes 50 %, and this show was 100%. Also the sound in this venue was very good, very good sound mix, the best sounding show so far I think (not too loud, very clear sound).

also went to ZDF the night before, it was sold out (capacity there is about 75 people) but the girl said no problem you will get in and yes it was true. I think everyone that wanted to eventually did get in. this is very nice little place and nice people, good place to hang out have a beer etc- Lee R and Rafael Toral played a pretty long set (about 1 hour?) and one thing that happened which was funny this girl in a red shirt was standing right in front of Lee and when he swung his guitar on the tether it bonked her on the head (not too hard). Also the drunk people looking in through the large plate glass window wondering what the hell was going on... (almost forgot - the big gigantic dog sleeping in the lobby! you had to be there...)

i agree. i was in front of Lee i think the reverb was loud in the noise sections...but it's true this venue has a great sound for live concerts.
in ZDB i couldn't be there but it's a very nice place to drink a beer and to watch live performances of experimental music...strange things happens there !
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2010, 02:53 PM   #50
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
download here: http://ashtapes.blogspot.com/2010/04...orto-live.html

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2010, 03:15 PM   #51
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses

thanks a lot stu! nice cover!
Old 04.24.2010, 03:23 PM   #52
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666

hehe, I've checked yesterday, there was nothing. cheers for heads up. mp3 but? hmmm. i left comment about what is the story with the master, if the master is actuall mp3. uhmmm, I know Georgekrz would be taping from time to time, so I'm hoping he did recorded the gigs as well, not saying he has been to spanish ones as well, so if he had the recording of them "hits setlist" as a four piece that would be amazing. lets hope it will surface sometime somewhere. shit, that volcano, I wanted to tape it and what a recording I missed. aghrrr.!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2010, 03:26 PM   #53
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Georgekrz, sorry to ask again, but i think i never noticed feedback from you. did you taped them shows by any chance?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2010, 03:51 PM   #54
Adolfo
children of satan

Manuel Mota enters the stage, doesn't even look at the audience, just turns on the amplifier and sits on a chair playing his guitar. faces going WTF?, after a while collective clapping starts, but just so he would go away. he doesn't really give a shit and continues... the clapping thing happens 5 times i think. eventually he stands up and leave saying "obrigado". a stupid chick at my right says aleluia while taking photos. fucking annoying.

eventually, after a good bit of time, checking microphones and tuning guitars etc... lee ranaldo enters the stage, then kim, etc...
"psee" says Lee, "psee" say Thurston and in 2 seconds "No Way" starts. no time for fooling around. Sacred Trickster and Calming The Snake follows. Thuston is always moving and jumping like a mad fool, doing his thing. Lee looks like his having fun. Steve his playing hard.
Thurston introduces "Anti-Orgasm" with a "this is for all of you sex maniacs ou there" and a smile in his face. A lot of young people in there, some "goo" shirts, alot of clapping before the song ends. Strangly, everybody seemed to know the lyrics for the eternal songs, au contraire of " (I Got A) Catholic Blocks", and "Stereo Sanctity". Thuston in a song break, thanks Manuel Mota for opening the concert referring to him as a "one of the mini-treasures of portugal", all the people who hated Manuel are now clapping.
The first encore comes. this two "daydream nation" tracks seem to be a little bit more recognizable for the audience, but not that much. I moved during the break from the right to the left, seeing that the left wing people were more excited. there was crowd surfing, football chantings (oléee oléee oléeeee) that kind of chanting, and moshing. i was right there too. sorry if i hurt any of you. i touched lee's guitar.

Overall it was a great show. now i understand "The Eternal", it's really a great live album, with loads of energy to offer, and Sonic Youth have created a album that can stand on his own.

thanks to the taper of http://ashtapes.blogspot.com/2010/04...orto-live.html
Old 04.24.2010, 05:10 PM   #55
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
Really nice descroption, Adolfo, you just missed talking about Thurston taking photos of the audience. I don't know if he's been doing that regularly, but it was great, it was evident that they enjoyed the show as much as the audience!
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2010, 06:27 PM   #56
Adolfo
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin_icE
Really nice descroption, Adolfo, you just missed talking about Thurston taking photos of the audience. I don't know if he's been doing that regularly, but it was great, it was evident that they enjoyed the show as much as the audience!

I think i am in one of those.
Old 04.24.2010, 08:51 PM   #57
nosigner
empty page

nosigner has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i do agree with Georgekrz about the lisbon gig. crowd was excellent. there are some people complaining about jumps and other crowd situations in comments on the portuguese media, but wtf, have they ever been into a sonic youth show? if the crowd is not jumping and kicking it's not really a sonic youth show!
i also attended the previous night at zdb and it was an excellent experience. crowd was indeed very small, the place was full, but not packed (i have seen the place much more packed), and there were quite a few foreign people around. then after lee ranaldo's act the place got less crowded, and imo i think the people that left missed quite a good show from times new viking .
this was my 3rd sy show since 98, and it's always great to see them, so i hope they come back soon .
nosigner is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2010, 02:09 AM   #58
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
hehe, I've checked yesterday, there was nothing. cheers for heads up. mp3 but? hmmm. i left comment about what is the story with the master, if the master is actuall mp3. uhmmm, I know Georgekrz would be taping from time to time, so I'm hoping he did recorded the gigs as well, not saying he has been to spanish ones as well, so if he had the recording of them "hits setlist" as a four piece that would be amazing. lets hope it will surface sometime somewhere. shit, that volcano, I wanted to tape it and what a recording I missed. aghrrr.!

Rich, check the blog again, you've had a reply! if you email the dude he will send you the flacs. i'm sorry you couldn't get a flight to Spain because of the fucking volcano, i felt for you man.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2010, 04:27 AM   #59
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosigner
i do agree with Georgekrz about the lisbon gig. crowd was excellent. there are some people complaining about jumps and other crowd situations in comments on the portuguese media, but wtf, have they ever been into a sonic youth show? if the crowd is not jumping and kicking it's not really a sonic youth show!.

i read also about that complain...what they thought ? this is not the sad happiness of a tokio hotel concert...this hardcore it's not for screaming babies!
Old 04.25.2010, 05:39 AM   #60
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
i read also about that complain...what they thought ? this is not the sad happiness of a tokio hotel concert...this hardcore it's not for screaming babies!

Well, that's definitely true, but believe me... From the point where I was standing (right side, 2nd row, in front of Thurston), almost everytime I closed my eyes, the idea of being on a Tokio Hotel concert flashed through my mind. Not because of the jumping, but because of the high-pitch screaming coming from the group of teens on my left side. I think it actually hurted my ears more than the guitar feedback. And I also thought there was a bit of "over-clapping"... And I'm not talking about applaude-clapping... I mean, it almost ruined the mood of Massage the History, you don't clap to accompany the rythm of a song that's so quiet and beautiful. For me that's a sin, but... hey, that's already a trademark of the portuguese crowd.

Anyway, awesome gig. Yesterday I started remembering all the great things it had and, even though some Eternal moments were really great, the classics just made the show, specially the two encores. 'Cross the Breeze was simply the best thing that ever happened to me in a live concert. DV69 comes right up next.
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth