Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page TORONTO 30/06/09 Setlist..what a fucking surprise.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.01.2009, 08:23 PM   #61
Alan ciccone
bad moon rising

Alan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's asses
gotta hear this. I remember them doing it in the Olympia in '98 but can't remember how Kim sounded doing Lydia's parts.
Alan ciccone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 08:28 PM   #62
tough titty
little trouble girl

tough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Was this shot by anyone on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojRgNfBRR4g

Saw DV69 at my first ever SY show. Nice trip back.

I was sitting right behind the guy who shot that video. He shot the whole show with his camera on the balcony rail, except for one song (the one with acoustic guitar off the new album. That was the song where Kim said they were going to play a Neil Young song but didn't. I'm guessing Kim said that because there is a live Neil Young CD from Massey Hall in the 70's.) He told me he would have his videos on youtube today and sure enough, they are. I tried to bribe him with $20 for his front row balcony seat so I could have a clear shot for videotaping but he wouldn't budge (I don't blame him). I ended up having a great shot anyways from the 2nd row.

I also saw "Death Valley 69" at my 1st Sonic Youth concert in Calgary in 1991, when they opened up for Neil Young. My friend recorded that show on a dictaphone and one of these days I am going to transfer his tape digitally and share it.

I thought they might have played "Death Valley 69" because some dude yelled out "Death Valley 69, motherfuckers!" really loudly in between songs once when it was quiet, but now I see that it was on the setlist after all thanks to the photo by eternal (thanks a lot!).

When I was picking up my tickets at the box office I started talking to the guy next to me, and it turns out I had met him at the 2002 Vancouver show at the Vogue Theatre, where he was videotaping the show in the row in front of me. I got his email so I'm hoping that I can get my hands on that video someday!

One strange thing I noticed about the concert last night is that not a single person was smoking pot which is pretty damn unusual for a rock concert, especially in Canada!

Also, I noticed a bunch of empty seats in the 3rd level which surprised me, considering the tickets up there weren't that expensive ($35 Canadian). I'm not complaining though. If most people in the world actually liked good music than I would have had to see Sonic Youth in a hockey rink or stadium instead of an intimate venue.
tough titty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 08:52 PM   #63
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
Hard to get pot in Massey Hall. That place, if I remember, was no smoking even before the smoking ban... so I'd have been SHOCKED if someone had braved the fine and the expulsion (harder to hide in a venue like that) - I DID smell some outside beforehand, though, so it was ingested - just not during the set... hehe
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 10:53 PM   #64
psychic hearts
empty page

psychic hearts has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by tough titty
I was sitting right behind the guy who shot that video. He shot the whole show with his camera on the balcony rail, except for one song (the one with acoustic guitar off the new album. That was the song where Kim said they were going to play a Neil Young song but didn't. I'm guessing Kim said that because there is a live Neil Young CD from Massey Hall in the 70's.) He told me he would have his videos on youtube today and sure enough, they are. I tried to bribe him with $20 for his front row balcony seat so I could have a clear shot for videotaping but he wouldn't budge (I don't blame him). I ended up having a great shot anyways from the 2nd row.

I also saw "Death Valley 69" at my 1st Sonic Youth concert in Calgary in 1991, when they opened up for Neil Young. My friend recorded that show on a dictaphone and one of these days I am going to transfer his tape digitally and share it.

I thought they might have played "Death Valley 69" because some dude yelled out "Death Valley 69, motherfuckers!" really loudly in between songs once when it was quiet, but now I see that it was on the setlist after all thanks to the photo by eternal (thanks a lot!).

When I was picking up my tickets at the box office I started talking to the guy next to me, and it turns out I had met him at the 2002 Vancouver show at the Vogue Theatre, where he was videotaping the show in the row in front of me. I got his email so I'm hoping that I can get my hands on that video someday!

One strange thing I noticed about the concert last night is that not a single person was smoking pot which is pretty damn unusual for a rock concert, especially in Canada!

Also, I noticed a bunch of empty seats in the 3rd level which surprised me, considering the tickets up there weren't that expensive ($35 Canadian). I'm not complaining though. If most people in the world actually liked good music than I would have had to see Sonic Youth in a hockey rink or stadium instead of an intimate venue.

Seriously! I had 3 empty seats beside me, what's up with people?

Amazing show. 2 Encores? Brilliant. Death Valley 69' and The Sprawl made my night. New stuff is great as well. I heard some people complaining about "too much new stuff" after the show...Pfff. Thurston's hands are the size of basketballs.
psychic hearts is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 01:16 AM   #65
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
I don't mean to complain about "too much new stuff" but considering it was my first SY concert, as much as I like the new album (and I do QUITE a bit) I can't help but be a bit disappointed since I didn't even hear a single song off my favourite SY album and just knew to expect everything off the new album after awhile without really getting any excitement or shock until the end. Everything was great otherwise but the set had me really let down because of that. DV69 couldn't even save it...
Old 07.02.2009, 01:28 AM   #66
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

When I was picking up my tickets at the box office I started talking to the guy next to me, and it turns out I had met him at th\e 2002 Vancouver show at the Vogue Theatre, where he was videotaping the show in the row in front of me. I got his email so I'm hoping that I can get my hands on that video someday!

No problem for the setlist, i felt i had an obligation being on the board ahaha. and i just smoked before the show since i felt there would be like 25 security people up in my business so fast if i brought anything in that place. i love the sound and architecture but come on, let me find my seat myself for fucks sake, i dont need you checking my ticket every 10 seconds and leading me around with your fucking flashlight!
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 01:33 AM   #67
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulva
I don't mean to complain about "too much new stuff" but considering it was my first SY concert, as much as I like the new album (and I do QUITE a bit) I can't help but be a bit disappointed since I didn't even hear a single song off my favourite SY album and just knew to expect everything off the new album after awhile without really getting any excitement or shock until the end. Everything was great otherwise but the set had me really let down because of that. DV69 couldn't even save it...

Yr lucky you gotta go though, I was at home. haha . What's yr favourite album and what songs did you wanna hear?
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:22 AM   #68
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That was the song where Kim said they were going to play a Neil Young song but didn't. I'm guessing Kim said that because there is a live Neil Young CD from Massey Hall in the 70's.)

The Massey Hall reference makes sense!

I encourage you to transfer that Calgary show, or at least provide the set list if possible.

As for the 'too much new material' crowd, I'll confess that at my very first SY show they played almost all 'Washing Machine' material which was almost all unfinished, and only two old songs. I was so young and excited that while I may have been mildly disappointed to not hear more familiar songs, it was so exhilirating to just SEE them.

Then the 'Thousand Leaves' era hit -- for two straight years they played nothing but new material, the first year completely instrumentally! Every show on the Thousand Leaves tour had the bulk of the album plus 2 'SYR' pieces, and 'Death Valley'. And that was it. They added 'Shadow of a Doubt' in Seattle (which blew my mind) but aside from that, every single show that year was comprised of 11 new songs and 'Death Valley'. Did it bother me at the time? Of course! I wanted to hear all my favorites! I loved 'A Thousand Leaves' (and the live versions are so much better than the album) but I won't lie, I wanted to hear 'Teenage Riot' and 'Mote' and '100%' and 'Bull in the Heather' and all the rest. It took me two years before I got my chance to become sickingly tired of all those great old songs, and now I'd probably love to hear 'Female Mechanic' again, so it's funny how things work out.

Somebody posted earlier about how you see SY tour for an album and you know it's probably your only chance to hear most of those songs, which is 100% true and pretty much why it's more exciting for people who see them tour after tour and maybe less exciting for somebody going to see their first show as a huge fan of their entire catalog. I totally relate. Regardless, the new material is what excites the band most, and that's ultimately what matters...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 06:48 AM   #69
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
The Massey Hall reference makes sense!

I encourage you to transfer that Calgary show, or at least provide the set list if possible.

As for the 'too much new material' crowd, I'll confess that at my very first SY show they played almost all 'Washing Machine' material which was almost all unfinished, and only two old songs. I was so young and excited that while I may have been mildly disappointed to not hear more familiar songs, it was so exhilirating to just SEE them.

Then the 'Thousand Leaves' era hit -- for two straight years they played nothing but new material, the first year completely instrumentally! Every show on the Thousand Leaves tour had the bulk of the album plus 2 'SYR' pieces, and 'Death Valley'. And that was it. They added 'Shadow of a Doubt' in Seattle (which blew my mind) but aside from that, every single show that year was comprised of 11 new songs and 'Death Valley'. Did it bother me at the time? Of course! I wanted to hear all my favorites! I loved 'A Thousand Leaves' (and the live versions are so much better than the album) but I won't lie, I wanted to hear 'Teenage Riot' and 'Mote' and '100%' and 'Bull in the Heather' and all the rest. It took me two years before I got my chance to become sickingly tired of all those great old songs, and now I'd probably love to hear 'Female Mechanic' again, so it's funny how things work out.

Somebody posted earlier about how you see SY tour for an album and you know it's probably your only chance to hear most of those songs, which is 100% true and pretty much why it's more exciting for people who see them tour after tour and maybe less exciting for somebody going to see their first show as a huge fan of their entire catalog. I totally relate. Regardless, the new material is what excites the band most, and that's ultimately what matters...

True.

Although as a tour wears on they do do less songs from the album. I suspect come winter they'll get rid of a few songs from the new album, and add older songs.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 07:18 AM   #70
the red terror
empty page

the red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulva

Understood, but that's an old rock & roll model. I don't want to get pretentious (o-kay, I can't help it), but think of art or fashion (which is also a part of rock & roll). I can understand when you see a dead artists' art show, or maybe a career retrospective, then you get some old stuff on the wall.

But if you are a contemporary artist, and you still have creative ideas and want to be relevant, you don't drag along pieces from ten-or-fifteen years ago and hang them with your new art show.

Same with fashion. If I'm going to a fashion show, I expect to see new pieces, not old ones.

If I go to see Tarantino's new "Inglourious Basterds" movie, I won't be surprised to see stylistic similarities from his old movies, but I don't expect to see him cutting recycled clips from Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill into the new one.

Not precisely the same thing, I realize, but if you step back from the old stereotypical rock & roll model-slash-cliche, that's what *most* rock bands do, and SY is not like most rock acts, they are singularly unique in style, approach, creative philosophy, and one of the reasons we old farts continue to stay with the band and go to every tour. And it's a good reason why I like the main show to be separate from the encore, and reserve the encore to treat audiences to a small nostalgia trip.

Vive le difference!!
the red terror is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 07:32 AM   #71
midnightosix
empty page

midnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's asses
SY are not unlike Radiohead or Lou Reed who when touring behind a new album will play every or almost every track.
midnightosix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 09:18 AM   #72
tonywellington
empty page

tonywellington has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I don't think the amount of new stuff was the problem. I get what they want to do, have seen them before, knew what to expect. Nonetheless, as a live event it lacked pace. It was more like listening to the new record, which I do love and really liked live. It is just a bit odd to put the audience through 11 new ones in a row and then leave stage at 10:40 with an 11:00 curfew at Massey Hall (then encore the last of the new ones). As I said, it was good, not great. One or two more at the end that kept the pace and energy of DV 69 would made it even better. I love them but am not just going to say it was the best show I have ever seen. It was hard to leave right after Death Valley. It is an awfully impressive catalogue to ignore.
tonywellington is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 12:29 PM   #73
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I felt a little bit ripped off by this show (at least until the encore).
She Is Not Alone blew my fucking mind, the first few Eternal tracks were all, "FUCK YEAH!" until it set in that they were not doing anything else.
I paid $60, we had literally front row center seats to see Sonic Youth, and I have seen them before, so I expected a heavy amount of new material, but.. this was too much.

The encore (Tom Violence!!! The Sprawl!!! DV69!!!) was insanity, looking at Sonic Youth not even five feet in front of me, but after hearing 11 new songs that I don't know all the words to, that I paid 60 dollars for... kind of disappointing. I know seeing SY on an album tour means you're going to see a lot of the album... but what we got was not SY, it was The Eternal.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 01:41 PM   #74
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Funny, my copy of "The Eternal" says "Sonic Youth" right on it.

Oh sorry, "sonic-youth". Must be a different band.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 02:12 PM   #75
sonictooth123
empty page

sonictooth123 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
hey, kind of a stupid question guys, but did anyone see what that pink thing was that was thrown onto the stage (near the right hand side) near the end of the show? Looked like a scarf or something but my view was kind of obscured. Thanks!
sonictooth123 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 02:54 PM   #76
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Funny, my copy of "The Eternal" says "Sonic Youth" right on it.

Oh sorry, "sonic-youth". Must be a different band.

Sorry, man, I don't mean to offend anybody by that, it was just a bit of a bummer, driving 6 hours, paying 60 dollars, and seeing a half-decent show.
The set wasn't even bad, by any means. But, had they broken up the Eternal material (maybe every 3-4 songs, throw a classic in) instead of putting it all together in the middle, you know?

I had a little weirded-out moment when Thurston fucked up in Anti-Orgasm, too. But when they busted out What We Know in the encore, I blew my balls. Such a bad-ass tune.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:47 PM   #77
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictooth123
hey, kind of a stupid question guys, but did anyone see what that pink thing was that was thrown onto the stage (near the right hand side) near the end of the show? Looked like a scarf or something but my view was kind of obscured. Thanks!

Those were my panties. I tossed them at Thurston. I've done that at each SY show I've gone to. He's got a fucking collection at this point.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 04:53 PM   #78
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
I fully understand why they'd want to play all new stuff and all. I'm not complaining about that as it makes perfect sense. My complaint can be split to two things; either a longer set would have been nice so I could hear more songs or a few less from the eternal. I don't hold it against them or anything, but it can be a bit disheartening to see a favourite band for the first time and not hear any of your favourite bar DV69.

joe, my favourite album is Washing Machine. I was hoping to maybe hear anything off that, maybe Making The Nature Scene or The Unmade Bed. I hold no fault to the band for what they did, nor was it a bad performance. It was just a little disappointing.
Old 07.02.2009, 06:47 PM   #79
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I hate you. That's an awesome setlist.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 06:55 PM   #80
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Okay, I'd forgotten why I don't enjoy 'Death Valley' live (as much as most of you, it would seem!) until the 'Walls Have Ears' version w/ Lee singing Lydia's part randomly (!) came on the ol' digital jukebox...and that's why...it's a duet! And they haven't played it as a duet since 1985!

Does anyone agree? Is the crowd supposed to sing Lydia's part or something? Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine and most of the tension of the original recording is still there, but I guess I just don't see why they don't take advantage of it...? Especially now that every song in the set is a fucking duet! Ha! Ha!

EDIT: Okay, in classic idiot form I posted that before I watched the Toronto vid. Holy shit!!!!!!! Now THAT gets me excited!!!!

Ha ha! I agree Chris, I'd always found live versions of "Death Valley '69" disappointing, even when I saw them do it in 1985, because there was no Lydia. But this new three guitar, three lead vocal attack is brutal perfection. Damn, it totally stands up to the Bad Moon version. The crowd at that show must have felt like they were on the real Manson Family acid when that went down. I can't wait to see them this tour!!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth