Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page lost NYC postpunk/nowave
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2006, 01:49 AM   #1
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
there are so many awesome bands that no one has ever heard of from the late 70s-early 80s NY scene that spawned the Youth. so many great groups out of print or hard to find. No New York and the New York Noise comps are pretty awesome.

LIQUID LIQUID- one of the most ripped-off bands ever. super weird dancy dubpunkfunk. 'cavern' got turned into grandmaster flash's 'the message'.

MODEL CITIZENS- i've been listening to the song 'animal instincts' constantly. it's really hard to find anything about this band. fast, weirdo synth-punk that sounds like roxy music on PCP.

DNA- arto lindsay rules. this band is insane. sandpaper for the ears.

MARS- thurston said this was the band he thinks sy copied from the most when they started.

photos from the great nY no wave archive

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:01 AM   #2
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Liquid Liquid is cool. They have a song on the new Tony Hawk game, which surprised me. Grand Royal rereleased a bunch of their stuff on a collection years ago and when I was gonna buy it, I couldn't find it anywhere.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:04 AM   #3
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikold
there are so many awesome bands that no one has ever heard of from the late 70s-early 80s NY scene that spawned the Youth. so many great groups out of print or hard to find. No New York and the New York Noise comps are pretty awesome.

LIQUID LIQUID- one of the most ripped-off bands ever. super weird dancy dubpunkfunk. 'cavern' got turned into grandmaster flash's 'the message'.

MODEL CITIZENS- i've been listening to the song 'animal instincts' constantly. it's really hard to find anything about this band. fast, weirdo synth-punk that sounds like roxy music on PCP.

MARS- thurston said this was the band he thinks sy copied from the most when they started.

photos from the great nY no wave archive

Arguably, DNA would not be among the "lost" groups as they are probably the best know No Wave band along with the Contortions and Teenage Jesus & the Jerks (Lydia Lunch's first band) all of whom were on the No New York compilation, which is still the best known document of that scene. It's a great record, of course, right down to the Brian Eno cover (how interesting that the guy who invented ambient music was so into this early noise rock scene!) Compared to tons of bands who copped the ideas these groups invented, even the best know might deserve the "lost" title since they never got anything from their innovations.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 09:08 AM   #4
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
There's a new scene in NY sometimes called neo-no wave (which, I agree, means absolutely nothing...)... There's a lot of great bands into that scene:

Liars
Gang Gang Dance
Animal Collective
Mouthus
TV on the Radio
Celebration
Out Hud
First Nation
Double Leopards
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 09:23 AM   #5
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikold
...the New York Noise comps are pretty awesome.

Agreed, I would recommend these to anybody.

Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 09:40 AM   #6
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Some of the stuff on those comps is really awful though. They are a real mixed bag I think.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 09:51 AM   #7
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Some of the stuff on those comps is really awful though. They are a real mixed bag I think.

Not a bad track on either to my ears.

And the first half of this is pretty good too:

Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 09:56 AM   #8
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I find some of the disco-y stuff embarrasingly dreadful.

edit: I think especially the Clandestine w/Ned Sublette one I really dislike and the Glorious Strangers and Felix tracks are pretty lame, to my ears at least. Those are all from vol.2 I think. But stuff like the Rhys Chatham, Red Transistor and Y Pants are really great.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 10:41 AM   #9
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
Liquid Liquid is cool. They have a song on the new Tony Hawk game, which surprised me. Grand Royal rereleased a bunch of their stuff on a collection years ago and when I was gonna buy it, I couldn't find it anywhere.
Yeah, NicFit is in the game also
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 04:25 PM   #10
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
There's a new scene in NY sometimes called neo-no wave (which, I agree, means absolutely nothing...)... There's a lot of great bands into that scene:

Liars
Gang Gang Dance
Animal Collective
Mouthus
TV on the Radio
Celebration
Out Hud
First Nation
Double Leopards

There's some great bands on that list, but I don't see how it can possibly be considered a "scene", other than that they exist in roughly the same place and time. I watched the movie Kill Your Idols that tries desperately to claim there is a scene based around No Wave Revival, and it was amusing how much Lydia Lunch and Jim Feotus and all those people hate the new stuff. The best groups, such as Liars and Black Dice and Gogol Bordello seemed to be doing everything they could to separate themselves from it too.
Old 12.16.2006, 04:47 PM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
sorry to state the obvious but
theoretical girls.........
Old 12.16.2006, 04:51 PM   #12
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Liars
Gang Gang Dance
Animal Collective
Mouthus
TV on the Radio
Celebration
Out Hud
First Nation
Double Leopards

All these bands are like... they all have well-established rhythms and such. How does "no-wave" apply??? I don't get that... Someone explain what the hell "no-wave" means, then...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 05:14 PM   #13
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
i think arab on radar are more in line with that whole bringing back no wave thing
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 05:23 PM   #14
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
!!! (aka CHK CHK CHK) too
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 05:54 PM   #15
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain

Yeah, I've been fearing that... I'm quite interested in those, but I keep having second thoughts whenever I'm thinking of getting them. They didn't even put both of the Red Transistor songs from that 7" on those comps (vol. 2 I think).
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 09:00 PM   #16
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
All these bands are like... they all have well-established rhythms and such. How does "no-wave" apply??? I don't get that... Someone explain what the hell "no-wave" means, then...
[/i]

No-Wave was a term made up for the No New York Compilation as far as I know.
Old 12.17.2006, 12:02 AM   #17
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onani Nic
No-Wave was a term made up for the No New York Compilation as far as I know.

Actaully the opposite. The term was a reaction to the poppier "new wave" in NYC, such as Blondie obviously, but also Bush Tetras, who now make it onto "No Wave" compilations somehow. The album title came very much as a product of the scene, and a lot of people were mad that so few of the bands made it onto the record.

To answer K-krack's question - No Wave was supposed to be rock music that didn't draw from any of the established rythm and blues tradition. So yeah, the whole idea of "neo-No Wave" is just ridiculous. The original No Wave bands were striving not to be influenced. You can certainly learn from their experiments and put that to use, but you won't be doing anything along the lines of what they were doing because it's just impossible.

The weirdest group to see on that list is Celebration because 1) they're from Baltimore not NYC and 2) they have a total Stonesy blues vibe going on. I love 'em, and sure they have some post-punk to their sound. However, I was actually hanging out with them a couple weeks ago, and I'm certain they wouldn't begin to call themselves No Wave, neo or otherwise. They're all about the rock 'n roll tradition, though they have a lead drummer rather than guitarist. They fucking rock up a storm.
Old 12.17.2006, 03:30 AM   #18
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Liars
Gang Gang Dance
Animal Collective
Mouthus
TV on the Radio
Celebration
Out Hud
First Nation
Double Leopards

i don't know if i'd consider some of that stuff as "neo-no-wave". some if it is psychedelic, while some of it is sort of avant soul-esque. some of it is just bad, though.

and if we're gonna talk about no wave bands, why not talk about one of the most overlooked bands who may be the missing link to early hip hop, ESG?

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2006, 06:45 AM   #19
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Thomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's asses

[/quote]
DNA rule.

Thomas Moronic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2006, 01:29 PM   #20
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
do you guys happen to know a very cool band from NY, early eighties, produced by PHILIP GLASS that goes by the name POLYROCK?

they ruled.

www.myspace.com/polyrock - here are samples ripped from their lps

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth