Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Metallica
Fuck yes! 9 31.03%
Fuck no! 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12.16.2006, 12:46 AM   #1
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I have spent many years hating the shit out of this band and the majority of it's fans. But I found I do enjoy their documentaries, especially the making of the Black album and then the follow up tour one to it too, whatever they're called. I found the videos to them two last nite (I pirated them off a brothers friend in the 90s 'cause I liked the films alot) and had a gander at the first one, still enjoy it. It reminds me of being little and that era in general.
Old 12.16.2006, 12:50 AM   #2
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't liked a single Metallica song I've heard. Sorry. matey.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 12:52 AM   #3
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
An older cousin of mine used to play them endlessly and he'd babysit for me quite often. I have a small fondness for some of their stuff.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Hey it doesn't bother me. I don't really like anything they've did also. But if I were to pick, it'd be the black album and before that.

I should have "Only the documentaries" in the poll. That'd be my choice.
Old 12.16.2006, 12:56 AM   #5
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I'm outta here. See ya, mister J.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 12:57 AM   #6
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
I hated them with a passion when i first heard them, but then over the years of certain friends pounding them into my skull, i got into some of their stuff. Its been said before, Kill em' all through the black album (although i dont like the black that much) is very good, anything after, eh, and st. anger, terrible. they are all a bunch of duchebags, especially lars the drummer, i hate him alot. supposedly they've been inspired(scared) back into their master of puppets older sound after the hateful response to st. anger. we shall see. most likely it will suck my balls, but who knows, bob dylans had like a million career rebirths.
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 12:57 AM   #7
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
first 3 albums get a fuck yes, but about 80% of what they did after that is a fuck no for me. from the later stuff i still like the occasional song and also the black album has some nostalgic value to me, because it was the first metal i listened to when i was 13-14 years old. but still that means that the vast majority of their discography is poo.

for me, the band with the majority of its fans that i always hated was iron maiden. i've stopped hating them, but i still don't like the music.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 12:57 AM   #8
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Lets see, this comes to mind.

The cousin I speak of made a tape of this for me, complete with his own version of the artwork. I still have it, and its the only Metallica material I own.

I should listen to it, for old times sake.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 01:27 AM   #9
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Impossible to vote in this poll as they are a band that covers both extremes completely.

When they started, they were really more a punk band that happened to play heavy metal music, and Kill 'Em All demonstrates that phase perfectly. Still Ride the Lightning is my favorite even if at that point they really became metal, it's just so damn well put together. Master of Puppets is still very good, and has some excellent moments ("Disposable Heroes" especially.) Garage Days Re-revisited is actually my second favorite record period as their Killing Joke and Misfits covers showed the world that they had as much to do with punk as metal at least to start with. And Justice For All had a couple decent songs but without Cliff the magic started to fade. The black album is just boring over produced mainstream metal thanks to Bob Rock, and you'd have thought it couldn't get worse. But then Alternica was born and indeed things had gotten so much worse they should be laughable, yet somehow it hurts to laugh.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 01:33 AM   #10
Norma J
invito al cielo

Well you either like their earlier stuff so much that it overrides the shit that followed. Or the other way around. Calculate your vote that way.
Old 12.16.2006, 01:34 AM   #11
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
I have a soft spot for speed/thrash metal so I like most of the stuff up to And Justice For All. After that it really starts to go downhill. I couldn't believe my eyes after watching Some Kind Of Monster. The fact that they hired some money sucking therapist to try to solve their problems was sad to see.
John Violence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 01:36 AM   #12
Norma J
invito al cielo

Yeah I thought the therapist shit was poor form, considering the price they were paying too. But it is an interesting watch as far as a documentary goes.
Old 12.16.2006, 01:39 AM   #13
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder what would have happened if Mustaine wasn't kicked out. I enjoy his leads way more than Kirks.
John Violence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:12 AM   #14
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Well you either like their earlier stuff so much that it overrides the shit that followed. Or the other way around. Calculate your vote that way.

Not really, I see them as two different bands with the same name. I could never tell someone, "I'm into Metallica", or "I fucking hate Metallica". If you tell someone you really love Sabbath, they don't think you are talking about anything after Ozzie left, but in Metallica's case, it's the same basic group (minus Cliff of course). What's more, the worst albums sold more and received much more radio play.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:17 AM   #15
Norma J
invito al cielo

Fuck No would generally mean you can't stand them at all.
Old 12.16.2006, 02:25 AM   #16
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I can handle anything And Justice... or earlier.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:33 AM   #17
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Master of Puppets is a great album. But yeah, anything they did after the black album that I have heard sucks.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 04:05 AM   #18
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
...And Justice for All is an amazing album. the Black Album is alright (especially "Sad But True"), but i don't like much after that.

i saw them in concert a few years ago. "One" was fucking crazy.
Old 12.16.2006, 04:09 AM   #19
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
...And Justice For All is one of my most favourite epic heavy metal albums, one of the few that truly deserve that tag and one of the fewer still that has any shred or modicum of coherence and/or thought. Thank you.

P.S. Its title is inspired by the 1979 Al Pacino movie where he plays a lawyer who has to defend a corrupt judge who is accused of rape.

Synopsis from http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:2201

"Norman Jewison's blackly satirical look at the American justice system has gained in stature as one of the more incisive social commentaries of its time. Al Pacino plays Arthur Kirkland, an incorruptible attorney who attempts to initiate reforms in the Maryland justice system. Kirkland is haunted by the fates of two past clients, one of whom committed suicide in jail; the other is still alive but is locked up on a trumped-up traffic violation. The ability of power and money to distort the pursuit of justice becomes all too clear as Kirkland finds out how deeply the rot has spread. He finally retaliates by representing a repulsive judge (John Forsythe) accused of rape. Pacino's and Forsythe's performances are intense and powerful. Many critics found the film biting and almost painful in its razor-sharp indictment of the justice system, while others declared the script too outrageous."

Review from Allmusicguide.com of Metallica's ...And Justice For All

"The most immediately noticeable aspect of ...And Justice for All isn't Metallica's still-growing compositional sophistication or the apocalyptic lyrical portrait of a society in decay. It's the weird, bone-dry production. The guitars buzz thinly, the drums click more than pound, and Jason Newsted's bass is nearly inaudible. It's a shame that the cold, flat sound obscures some of the sonic details, because ...And Justice for All is Metallica's most complex, ambitious work; every song is an expanded suite, with only two of the nine tracks clocking in at under six minutes. It takes a while to sink in, but given time, ...And Justice for All reveals some of Metallica's best material. It also reveals the band's determination to pull out all the compositional stops, throwing in extra sections, odd-numbered time signatures, and dense webs of guitar arpeggios and harmonized leads. At times, it seems like they're doing it simply because they can; parts of the album lack direction and probably should have been trimmed for momentum's sake. Pacing-wise, the album again loosely follows the blueprint of Ride the Lightning, though not as closely as Master of Puppets. This time around, the fourth song — once again a ballad with a thrashy chorus and outro — gave the band one of the unlikeliest Top 40 singles in history; "One" was an instant metal classic, based on Dalton Trumbo's antiwar novel Johnny Got His Gun and climaxing with a pulverizing machine-gun imitation. As a whole, opinions on ...And Justice for All remain somewhat divided: some think it's a slightly flawed masterpiece and the pinnacle of Metallica's progressive years; others see it as bloated and overambitious. Either interpretation can be readily supported, but the band had clearly taken this direction as far as it could. The difficulty of reproducing these songs in concert eventually convinced Metallica that it was time for an overhaul."
Old 12.16.2006, 04:22 AM   #20
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I have spent many years hating the shit out of this band and the majority of it's fans. But I found I do enjoy their documentaries, especially the making of the Black album and then the follow up tour one to it too, whatever they're called. I found the videos to them two last nite (I pirated them off a brothers friend in the 90s 'cause I liked the films alot) and had a gander at the first one, still enjoy it. It reminds me of being little and that era in general.
your polls fucking suck no offence
Androol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth