Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth Want To Be Good Parents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.01.2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2006/09/0111.cfm

Friday September 01, 2006 @ 06:00 PM

If you're wondering why Sonic Youth seem to put out a record and tour every second summer, the answer is simpler than you might think. At this point, the band's entire creative process revolves around one thing: school schedules.
"Most of the band are parents," drummer Steve Shelley says. "If you want your record out by June, you have to finish it in February. We tend to work on records in the fall and winter to get them out in June, so we can go play some shows when the record is out."
SY released give or take their 15th studio LP, Rather Ripped, this past June. On it, the group display a much more polished sound than longtime fans have come to expect. All the tracks are fairly concise, and not a single one features the noise jams that SY have become legendary for.
That said, the sound is befitting of the indie icons. At 53, Kim Gordon is more restrained and tuneful than ever, while Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo experiment with more melodic song structures to complement each track's focus.
"It was written pretty quickly and arranged pretty quickly," Shelley says. "Last August, we went up to Massachusetts and spent some time in Kim and Thurston's basement.
"A lot of them were already partially formed. They were chord progressions that Thurston had already stockpiled. So, a lot of them were Thurston, like, 'Here's something I've got,' and we would just all play along and see what we could come up with. So not as many of these came out of the abstract jam sessions we would have in New York City at our studio."
That Rather Ripped ended up a critical success is a testament to Sonic Youth's renewed artistic development following a slow period in the late '90s. What's even more impressive is that they had to revert back to a four-piece after two incredibly successful collaborations with Jim O'Rourke — Murray Street and Sonic Nurse — who left to pursue a film career.
Not that the transition presented any significant obstacle for the band, who've now been together for more than a quarter of a century.
"It was pretty easy," Shelley says. "We'd been that four-piece for a long time. It felt different, but it didn't feel odd or strange. We'd done our time as a four-piece."
To fill out the live lineup for this summer's shows, SY hired former Pavement multi-instrumentalist Mark Ibold. Just don't tell the band that they now qualify as a supergroup.
"I thought we were pretty super before that with Jim O'Rourke in the group," Shelley says with a laugh. "You just have to be good to play with our band.
"Someone mentioned Mark, and everyone thought that would be a good thing. He's a really sweet guy."
There was one significant happening in the Sonic Youth universe while the band hibernated to make the new LP. The U.S. government's Library Of Congress added the group's landmark recording, Daydream Nation, to its archive of prominent recorded works.
But just as Shelley says the band members are fairly oblivious to their own status as legends of their scene, it wasn't an Earth-shattering event in their eyes. They didn't even show up for the ceremony. "I think we were working on the new record," Shelley recalls.
"It's one of those things you hear about and it doesn't really affect your day-to-day life or your state of reality. It's something that people tell you about. When you see it on paper, it's nice.
"I think I was just telling someone, we were the only record from the '80s that was inducted this time around. That felt kind of cool."
Sonic Youth will make their final Canadian stop of the year at the Osheaga Festival in Montreal on Saturday. The event takes place at Parc Jean Drapeau and the first day also features Dinosaur Jr., Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, K-OS, Islands and The Stills. The second day is headlined by Ben Harper, The Flaming Lips and Wolf Parade.
—Noah Love
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 03:03 PM   #2
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
Nice read. Thanks again Moshe.

There was one significant happening in the Sonic Youth universe while the band hibernated to make the new LP. The U.S. government's Library Of Congress added the group's landmark recording, Daydream Nation, to its archive of prominent recorded works.
But just as Shelley says the band members are fairly oblivious to their own status as legends of their scene, it wasn't an Earth-shattering event in their eyes. They didn't even show up for the ceremony. "I think we were working on the new record," Shelley recalls.

That's great. I am glad they did not go. Haha.

Yeah... The Library of Congress is such a poser! All trying to get Indie Credibility by saying they like Sonic Youth! Stop being such a nerd Library of Congress!
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 07:39 AM   #3
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
nice read.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
Yeah... The Library of Congress is such a poser! All trying to get Indie Credibility by saying they like Sonic Youth! Stop being such a nerd Library of Congress!

Haha, rep.

EDIT: Ooh look I gave you an extra little square! Delightful.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Sonic Youth will make their final Canadian stop of the year at the Osheaga Festival in Montreal on Saturday. The event takes place at Parc Jean Drapeau and the first day also features Dinosaur Jr., Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, K-OS, Islands and The Stills. The second day is headlined by Ben Harper, The Flaming Lips and Wolf Parade.
—Noah Love

Dinosaur Jr. didn't impress me at all. I didn't think they put on too good of a show, and the audience wasn't into it too much either. I still really like them as a band though.

Clap your hands and say yeah was hilarious, they only played the second half of their set and the first half was rave/electronica music played on the loud speakers. Not too big on them myself.

K-OS I only heard, but I was never really into him.

Islands had the indiest setup ever with people wearing fake heads on top of theirs to make them look taller and really skinny. It's the second time seeing them, although I never really liked them. I could barely differ them from wolf parade. There's a lot of artists that sound like that.

Aanndd I unfortunately missed Ben Harper, Flaming Lips, and most of all Lady Sovereign. At least Lady Sovereign is coming back later this month. She has to be one of te best looking people I've ever seen in my life, and her rapping is even better.

As for Sonic Youth, it completely blew me away. Unfortunately my pictures came out half ass because my camera was always moving due to the people mosing. But all I can say is wow, played tonnes of great songs and the crowd was great. The setlist was something like:

-Teenage Riot
-Reena
-Incinerate
-Eric's Trip
-Turquoise Boy
-?
-Jams Run Free
-Pink Steam

-The world looks red
-?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth