Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page King Uszniewicz, Surf Saxophonist
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.18.2006, 09:13 PM   #1
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses

This post is brought to you by the department of historical corrections in the history of surf music.
Jimi Hendrix once said “You will never hear surf music again”, and this grew into the popular myth that Hendrix hated surf music. Now it may be true that he hated the Beach Boys (I would not blame him for that), but the quote rather showed his appreciation for Dick Dale, the king of surf guitar. At that time Dale was seriously ill with cancer, and Hendrix thought Dale was about to die. You can read a 1994 interview with Dick Dale about that story and much more. (UPDATE: Probably this is also an urban legend and Dick Dale is full of shit. Jump to the comments to see what really happened. Thanks to reader benbenek for the correction.)
If Dick Dale is the king of surf guitar, King Uszniewicz is the king of surf saxophone. With his band The Uszniewicztones he released three LPs Teenage Dance Party, Twistin’ and Bowlin’, and Doin’ the Woo-Hoo. They are all still available through the great Norton Records label. If you have not pawned your turntable yet, I urge you to get over there and buy them all. Fans of Hasil Adkins or The Shaggs should not even think twice, but for all others I have some more info, mp3 samples, and an important historical correction.

The first time I heard King Usniewicz was around 1990 in Berlin on Radio 100, one of the best radio stations that ever existed, unfortunately only from 1987 to 1991. Then I totally forgot about it for about 15 years, when I browsed the shelves at WCBN and hit the King Uszniewicz vinyl, suddenly bringing back sweet old memories. (The same thing actually happened with Copernicus, also first heard on Radio 100, forgotten, rediscovered at WCBN. And you got to check him out, too, he is a philosopher of sorts…)
Here is the official story of King Uszniewicz, as perpetuated in the All Music Guide and the gazillions of other websites which copy from AMG:

Ernie “King” Uszniewicz and his Uszniewicztones formed in Detroit in 1969 as an oldies band playing in a bowling alley, where they were eventually discovered by Cub Koda. Cub was the leader of the Detroit arena rock band Brownsville Station, who had a big hit with Smokin’ In The Boys’ Room in 1973. Cub was supposedly impressed by the ineptitude of King U and his boys, so he produced a 7″ single featuring the song Surfin’ School. They only released a handful of 45s before disbanding in 1979, and much later Norton Records put out the three LPs mentioned above.
Of course this is all total bullshit. In fact, it is one of the great pranks of music history. Obviously Cub Koda had a weird sense of humor, and Brownsville Station and their roadies would randomly switch instruments in the studio and record as King Uszniewicz and The Uszniewicztones. The rule was apparently that nobody was allowed to play an instrument they knew well. Cub pressed some of these recordings on 45s and on their tours they would deposit them in thrift stores around the country to freak out record collectors. Their 1989 release “Teenage Dance Party” turned out to be quite popular, so they got the band together for two more albums. You can read a little bit about it in this Cub Koda obituary by Teisco Del Rey. For helpful info I would also like to thank WCBN DJ Frank Uhle, who interviewed Cub Koda and King U lead guitarist “Logjam Lurch” back in the 90s at WCBN.
Here are two more tracks from the first LP: Yukkum Yukkum and Little Dead Surfer Girl, a cover version of a song by the Incredible Broadside Brass Bed Band.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 10:27 PM   #2
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
The rule was apparently that nobody was allowed to play an instrument they knew well.

Could've fooled me.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2006, 04:44 AM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
yeah, the beach boys, i always thought they were kinda boring.

i love dick dale though, suprised hes not name dropped a bit more.
What have The Beach Boys to do with that post i dunno(apart from the very very obvious).Sometimes i wonder if you are plain stupid or you just like act like you are in order to get attention.Get off my face.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2006, 07:16 AM   #4
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I bought Teenage Dance Party (early 90's?) and yes, I thought it was for real until the scam was 'exposed'.

Just sounds a bit out of tune.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth