Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Lightning Bolt: Sucky?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.06.2006, 10:45 AM   #81
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
there is a general "dumbing down" of music, in the same way that language and grammar degenerate, and the mistakes become accepted usage.

please explain how languages degenerate.
does that make modern english or american english etc dumber than elizabethan english? is ebonics dumber than white man talk? what if i were to tell you that ebonics (as does any variant of any language) has a highly consistent rule based grammar and vocabulary, just as complex as standard american english (or any other language). how is that any dumber than the language from which it developed? isn't the only difference in the perceived prestige of the speaker?

this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, btw, and i have no intention of accusing you of any kind of bigotry by bringing up ebonics. i just think that the notion of language degerneration is a pretty half baked idea.

lightning bolt isn't really my cup of tea either.
Old 07.06.2006, 12:43 PM   #82
contort:myself
little trouble girl

contort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn@ke
\
m^a(t)h, you're wrong, they talk about Black Dice being "classic rock" and then Brian G says "we're not classic rock" and then Brian C. says: "I know, we're not classic rock".

actually, chippendale (i think) say that LB is "classic rock" as compared to what black dice is currently doing, but then they both agree that LB isn't really "classic rock"

http://75orlessrecords.com
our record label
buy our latest album
so that they can pay us
contort:myself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 12:45 PM   #83
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
They were just making a joke in reference to how they're sound guy always compared them to black dice, probably because they came out of a similar music scene and played a lot of shows together back in the day.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 12:52 PM   #84
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
fuck you black dice. and porky, i have to agree, they both kick ass and are real funny live. and such nice guys!

and daycare, so wht if u dont like em. i do and a few others do, what a shit boring world it would be if we all listened to the same shit over and over again.....................

but lb do rock! \m/
Old 07.06.2006, 01:05 PM   #85
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
fuck you black dice. and porky, i have to agree, they both kick ass and are real funny live. and such nice guys!

and daycare, so wht if u dont like em. i do and a few others do, what a shit boring world it would be if we all listened to the same shit over and over again.....................

but lb do rock! \m/
Here here! I bet if you saw them live Daycare, you'd even enjoy it a little. With some earplugs of course so that "irritating" noise doesn't hurt you.

Old 07.06.2006, 01:13 PM   #86
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
lightning bolt sucky?

ha ha ha ha h ah ah ha hah

most laughable post ever

i just (finally) got my LB records + the power of salad DVD on the mail

this is the first movie i ever buy (normally i'm strictly into rentals) because im going to play it ALL DAY VERY FUCKING LOUD.

whoever doesn't get LB must be lacking in.... hormones?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 01:19 PM   #87
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
Am I the only one who finds it appalling that people on this message board feel so strongly about the music that they listen to, that they go so far as to tell other people which thoughts/ideas/opinions about this music are acceptable and which ones aren't? Defend it all you want with yr silly-ass logic that tries to illustrate the one true path of the free thinker--a path that doesn't exist, mind--but I think that this behavior is a tremendous setback for the music & arts community as a whole. If I say: "Lightning Bolt are worth less than pig's vomit," that's a valid statement because it's what I think of them. If I think Black Dice are the same thing as TLC, the same rules apply. No matter what forces of artistic greatness supposedly reside inside the music that you listen to, there's always going to be someone who, for perfectly valid and illogical reasons, disagrees with you. And so what?
Old 07.06.2006, 01:24 PM   #88
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lightning bolt sucky?

most laughable post ever

this is the first movie i ever buy (normally i'm strictly into rentals) because im going to play it ALL DAY VERY FUCKING LOUD.

aint power of salad great!
got mine a few weeks back. real good documentary..
as for jheii post. yeah i agree to a point as i said in my last post but at the end of the day, this is a discussion forum and some people cant see beyond the end of their nose.
Old 07.06.2006, 01:33 PM   #89
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheii
Am I the only one who finds it appalling that people on this message board feel so strongly about the music that they listen to, that they go so far as to tell other people which thoughts/ideas/opinions about this music are acceptable and which ones aren't? Defend it all you want with yr silly-ass logic that tries to illustrate the one true path of the free thinker--a path that doesn't exist, mind--but I think that this behavior is a tremendous setback for the music & arts community as a whole. If I say: "Lightning Bolt are worth less than pig's vomit," that's a valid statement because it's what I think of them. If I think Black Dice are the same thing as TLC, the same rules apply. No matter what forces of artistic greatness supposedly reside inside the music that you listen to, there's always going to be someone who, for perfectly valid and illogical reasons, disagrees with you. And so what?

My whole point was not to tell Daycare that I thought his opinion was wrong; I was more trying to get him to admit that LB have put a lot of time and effort into their craft, built a devoted following and deserve some credit. I think being able to admit that something you don't personally like has intrinsic value is part of being a well-rounded listener and appreciator of music.

Matters of taste are far different, and everyone has their own taste.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 02:06 PM   #90
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
It makes you wonder if they are gay.

isn't brian gibson gay? he talks about it in power of salad & i think he wasn't joking?

get the power of salad porkie. you'll love that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
aint power of salad great!
got mine a few weeks back. real good documentary..
as for jheii post. yeah i agree to a point as i said in my last post but at the end of the day, this is a discussion forum and some people cant see beyond the end of their nose.

damn straight.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 02:19 PM   #91
greenbird
bad moon rising

greenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's asses
There's nothing wrong with senseless noise.
greenbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 03:14 PM   #92
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunberg
I so agree with you Daycare Nation. I have one of their albums, Hypermagic mountain and these guys have no notion of dynamics : they always play loud
and there's no (de)crescendo in any of their pieces. Rythmically it's also kinda stiff, same tempo all the time, no climaxes at all. It's poor musically, in my mtfking opinion of course.

yep---just not interesting stuff. Gives more of a headache than listening pleasure.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 03:18 PM   #93
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lightning bolt sucky?

most laughable post ever

See? That's what I was thinking when I heard this. "Hmm, I bet adolescents who are really full of testosterone listen to this quaint 'music' and thrash about saying 'fuck yeah'."

Old 07.06.2006, 09:04 PM   #94
little trouble girl

contort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
See? That's what I was thinking when I heard this. "Hmm, I bet adolescents who are really full of testosterone listen to this quaint 'music' and thrash about saying 'fuck yeah'."

whatevs.

our record label
buy our latest album
so that they can pay us
Old 07.06.2006, 09:13 PM   #95
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

ok's.

Old 07.06.2006, 10:47 PM   #96
little trouble girl

alrights.

our record label
buy our latest album
so that they can pay us
Old 07.06.2006, 10:48 PM   #97
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Most of it gets boring. They still have major talent.
Old 07.07.2006, 01:32 AM   #98
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
dont let what other people say about them affect your judgement.
wonderful rainbow is their best album. its very repetative, but why is that necessarily a bad thing? my favorite song on that album is two towers. it repeats for so long that if you listen hard and get into it, when it starts changing towards the end its ecstatic. something you cant acheive by just progressing at a normal pace.
wonderfull rainbow is fantasic, they are both great musicians, and i couldnt care less if people compare it to jazz or heavy metal or classic rock because i dont try to hear what other people hear. i can hear quite well myself thanks.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 01:37 AM   #99
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
dont let what other people say about them affect your judgement.
wonderful rainbow is their best album. its very repetative, but why is that necessarily a bad thing? my favorite song on that album is two towers. it repeats for so long that if you listen hard and get into it, when it starts changing towards the end its ecstatic. something you cant acheive by just progressing at a normal pace.
wonderfull rainbow is fantasic, they are both great musicians, and i couldnt care less if people compare it to jazz or heavy metal or classic rock because i dont try to hear what other people hear. i can hear quite well myself thanks.

Ahh, that song. Yes, rather than getting ecstatic, I found myself checking the time and playing a little game with myself called "let's see how long Lightning Bolt can play the exact same thing over and over again."

When it changed, I didn't experience bliss...I was actually kind of disappointed that they didn't play the same thing for like 20 minutes or something, which might have redeemed the mediocrity of the album.

Old 07.07.2006, 01:51 AM   #100
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

Isn't this discussion over yet? I think we all know Daycare doesn't like Wonderful Rainbow whatsoever, and will probably not like any of their other material because of his impression from the album. So, fin.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth