Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page 33 1/3 series
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.14.2008, 05:15 PM   #1
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I just came back from a bookstore that had a ton of these on the shelves. There's a lot of them that interest me, but I've heard mixed reviews for some of them (I forgot which.) Can anyone tell me which ones are worth picking up?

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2008, 05:51 PM   #2
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
get the one tom scharpling wrote!
chairman of the bored is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
I only have two, The Velvet Underground's VU and Nico and Minutemen's Double Nickles. I found the VU one to be pretty good, but not great. There was some interesting information in it. The Minutemen one though was awesome and I enjoyed it a lot.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2008, 07:26 PM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Depends on what you're a fan of. Even the poorly written ones are kind of interesting, at least.

I have the ones on Loveless, Exile on Main Street, Highway 61 Revisited, Paul's Boutique, Trout Mask Replica.
Old 09.14.2008, 07:44 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
How's the Trout Mask Replica one?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2008, 07:59 PM   #6
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I reckon the Bee Thousand one would be quite interesting as the songs were recorded over a period of 10 years.
Old 09.14.2008, 08:08 PM   #7
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
i only read the daydream nation one. which is KIND OF informative. interesting read. i liked the foreword by lee

but most of it was just the author's poor descriptions of songs rather than stories
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2008, 02:32 AM   #8
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard the daydream one is pretty shit, and factually incorrect!
I've half read the Loveless one and got kinda bored.
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2008, 07:05 AM   #9
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
I have the pet sounds one... It was ok, a little disappointing in that it went on about other beach boys records almost as much as the one it was meant to be about... But it only cost me a couple of quid.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2008, 07:11 AM   #10
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
How's the Trout Mask Replica one?

It's fairly good, imo. I read it last year, but as I recall, it's fairly densely packed with factual and interpretive prose. Real nice, informative read.
Old 09.15.2008, 07:13 AM   #11
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I've read DAYDREAM, LOVELESS and ENDTRODUCING. None of them have been as great as I wish they'd be.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2008, 07:23 AM   #12
gmku
invito al cielo

Highway 61 Revisited is pretty good. Exile is also not all that bad. But so far I haven't read any that I'd give firewall 5 stars.
Old 09.15.2008, 12:09 PM   #13
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
The replacements one is shit its just some guy talking about what it meant to him back in highschool, i mean thats nice for a paragraph but not a whole book! I wanna know more about the band, the songs, the recording process, what was going on at the times.

The MBV one i thought was good it really fills in the gaps of what the band had to go thru to make loveless, but yet again not much about the actual music.

I heard the Neutral Milk Hotel one is the best in the series.Oh yea, the pink floyd piper one is great too, probably my favorite.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2008, 12:40 PM   #14
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
That's been my problem with most of them. Too much "this is what this album means to ME..." talk. I mean, fine then Continuum Publishing, let me talk about why I love EVOL. Hey--LOVE EVOL--a palindrome!
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2008, 12:46 PM   #15
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the recs, people. I picked up the Double Nickels one and the TMR one. I'm halfway into DNotD and it's a very good, interesting read so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
The replacements one is shit its just some guy talking about what it meant to him back in highschool, i mean thats nice for a paragraph but not a whole book! I wanna know more about the band, the songs, the recording process, what was going on at the times.
I really wanted the Mats one, but when I saw Colin Meloy wrote it, I put it right back.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2008, 03:02 PM   #16
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
i want to read the one on loveless and in the aeroplane over the sea.

actually i dont know the other ones.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth