Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Mixtapes! do you make them, what do you think about them etc.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2020, 08:10 AM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
In 2020, I've got you guys (and many other sources) to point me towards good music, and Spotify to enable me to listen to it all.

In 1990, I'd have 'whatever I can find from my friends' and 'whatever's on sale at JB Hi-Fi, where I can blow a full shift's pay on a shit record'.

Records were a lot cheaper back in those days, also there was mail order. Although i suppose if you're in Australia or wherever I imagine a lot of stuff would only be available as import, i.e. expensive.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2020, 10:34 AM   #22
NYCgaf16
bad moon rising

NYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
A CD can fit 80 mins, the average tape 45 mins each side. 10 songs is about 30 mins or 35 mins. So there.
Actually the songs on the first mixtape were pretty long (i hlgave links to the songs you can count yrself). the second one has less songs becuz i didnt knew what songs to put there.
Old 01.04.2020, 11:12 AM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
another horrible curse before digital streaming was high dependence on local radio stations, which could be great if you lived in a great town, could be awful if you lived in a hick town, could disappear or change format, etc

e.g. the university of the district of columbia has a jazz studies program to this day, but up until 1997 they also ran a radio station, “jazz 90”, which was a beautiful thing because they wouldn’t just play great jazz, they would also tell stories and explain things and theory in a way you could not know before wikipedia and they played great great music and brought amazing guests. dc is still a jazz town.

then one day due to city budget cuts the university was forced to sell the fucking radio station! and dc got... cspan radio [insert suicide emoji]. could have been worse because a religious station wanted to buy the frequency. cspan is boring as fuck but makes sense in what’s basically a government town. still... huge loss.

now, thank fuck, not only do you not need radio per se, but you can listen to radio stations from around the world without having to operate a shit-ass shortwave set.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2020, 01:17 AM   #24
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Totally offtopic, but reading about Bytor's tape mixing technique, it reminded me of this album that was made in the seventies by a German guy named GŁnter Schickert. The album is called Samtvogel and you can read about it here (see especially the last paragraph), and listen to it here on YT. Especially the last song (that lasts 20 minutes) is very cool, ultra-trippy krautrock [edit: it's even on bandcamp]

Thanks for sharing the GŁnter Schickert album. I’ve listened to it three times since you posted BandCamp link and I find it fantastic!

And very cool approach to making your sisters mix......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
The thing about mixtapes is you never really knew if the songs you selected would fit on the tape. Then you would end up with either minutes of silence at the end or a song that had the end chopped off.

This caused me aggravation when I was younger and eventually led to my technique/mix being live. Even when keeping track of song lengths, you can’t always have it work out perfect. But when you end with thunderstorms, mandible chatter or whatever, fading out or abrupt endings are okay......and sometimes preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
In 1990, I'd have 'whatever I can find from my friends' and 'whatever's on sale at JB Hi-Fi, where I can blow a full shift's pay on a shit record'.

Way back then and even today, this was why mixtapes were so important. Receiving a mixtape from someone from another city or somewhere around the world, being exposed to local music and bands you would otherwise never hear about: remixes, demos or alternate takes, live versions or a unreleased track not available everywhere......that’s the power of a mixtape!

אש זרה

A Friend Of The Devil Is A Friend Of Mine
If I Get Home Before Daylight
I Just Might Get Some Sleep Tonight - GD

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth