Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page DNT Winter Batch
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.13.2010, 11:55 PM   #1
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
In an attempt to wreak havoc on your "best of 2010" lists, DNT is dropping a new set of releases, 2 LPs and 4 tapes. We tried something different this time around and started selling the LPs to distros, so you should be able to order this from your favorite distro right now, if that's your thing. Paypal buttons are on the website, and as usual, if you're a store or distro, get in touch for wholesale rates!! Also, there are a few special sales going on right now, visit the website for more info.

Happy Winter Solstice,
Tynan
http://www.dntrecords.com

Buy all 6 new releases for $40/$46ppd US/Canada (20% off)

DNT063 - Caboladies "Caboladies" LP $13/$15ppd US/Canada *international, please order from a distro closer to you or order items from the distro and add this to your order*
As a pixel leaves the screen, and dissolves back into the field of visual static, a small measure of air is released in the transaction. Most often, this newly liberated measure of air will seek either to expand it's moisture or to expand it's heat. Though, in a smaller percentage of cases the air will attempt to expand it's phosphorescence. By reversing it's course and attempting to dissolve back into the screen, the air endeavors, against all chemical possibility, to reconstitute with it's severed pixels. What the air finds, is that the original pixils have themselves reconstitueted with the realm of natural static. With not a pixel to bond, the air is thus nudged to remain in the atmosphere surrounding the screen. A similarly emotional exchange bubbles through the uniquely hyper-dense surfaces sculpted by Caboladies. Theirs is a study of fatigued electronic code, magnified and multiplied. A mutant minimalist calculus of key generated go-zones and opaque technological patchworks, where machines self-destruct in pursuit of their own Walden equivalent. As plasma leaks from behind the monitor's buttons, light reconvenes with the screenless realm. It is with great pleasure that DNT Records presents the self-titled long player from CABOLADIES. Recorded by the three piece of Chris Bush, Eric Lanham, and Ben Zoeller, this collection draws a narrative thread through their past releases on Arbor, Students of Decay, Mountaain, and their own Smooth Tapes imprint. It's not so much a summation of their back catalog as it is a spotlight on a particularly fluid and holographic area of their sound. The result is a flowing and coherent collection of nuanced electronic mess. A real trip and an excellent demonstration of the Cabo ethos. Remastered from the original source materials by Pete Swanson. Artwork and Design by Robert Beatty in an edition of 500 on randomly colored vinyl. Pro-printed matte jackets with doubled sided 11x11 poster.
************************************************** *************************************

DNT061 - Family Underground "Demon Parade" LP $13/$15ppd US/Canada/World *international, please order from a distro closer to you or order items from the distro and add this to your order*
"Think I will set up a booth to sell fried infant fat to the evil parade peeps. But as the demons fly & buzz around the street doing they circus stunting, i would lift open a sewer cap with a rusty iron and slowly creep into the sewers cause who the f**uck is gonna wanna sell ANYTHING at a Demon Parade. You just gonna loose, prob. everything. They don't necessarily carry around change in a chain wallet do they? Or want overpriced Demon Cokes? No way hose.' AND it would be mad LATE at night. No thanks. So, I would gander, the real party (human at least) would be UNDER the demon parade. With total weirdo's. Taking the most of the awful echoey, grating, strange acoustics that lie under the cement streets under the prancing of the demon hooves/feet. I have in my brain an imagine of a m-f duo, comfortable to the street chaos as they are from the free-anarchy of K-town, huddled around the sewer basement by trash can firelight making a slow-MO nerve numbing in tune/outta tune semitone racket to the soundtrack of their busy brain/nuggets. Would sound amazing, slow and mean, thick and meaty but uncluttered, strange and comfortable, KINDA. Like a mystery w/o a mellow ending. Would sound like.....DEMON PARADE. Duh. But like, under the streets to a DEMON PARADE. Cause: See ABOVE. True Family Underground story: One rainy spring night outside a punk club in K-town, some young freeker jammers punkers were looting brew from a Korean Nail Saloon / Party store right next door that left their door unlocked. As scattering happy punkers were cleaning this joint out and stuffing as many tall boys into band-adourned flannel shirts, the two relaxed m-f members of FAMILY UNDERGROUND thought it would be more kosher to do a super quiet set inside, a challenge to high volume AKA being caught. Me & wolf boys were the only ones in attendance to this theft-gig and were blown away by watching the FU's wave papers, move cutlery around, and get UNSOUND from Korean nail equipment NOT plugged in. It was amazing. It was, in my simple brain, what seeing the mythical SOUTHFIELD CAFETERIA FORK BAND live on the coldest night in winter must've been like. Super kool. After they did this NON SOUND FAMILY UNDERGROUND concert, the duo went peacefully to the cooler, gripped FIVE tall boys and we went black outside, UNCAUGHT. Life on the edge, HOW WE DO IT YO.
So anyway, Dig this LP. Its real frozen/wild/weird. Sounds good pitched down. UNLIKE: the trees, mob 47, or System Fucker. My fave recs. are A: by my friends & B: portals to another wild/weird world cause this plane SUX. But this here DEMON PARADE. ACE." -John Olzone Winter 2010
************************************************** *************************************

DNT039 - Tad "Path to the Dutchie" cassingle $5/$6/$9ppd US/Canada/World
Golden neural pathways spark up with the debut cassingle by Tad. Not to be confused with the grunge band from the 90s, this Tad is closer to King Tubby. Dubby daycare of animals breaking loose from the zoo. Perfect tape for zoning out to and thinking that it is still summer. Pro-dubbed tapes, shrink-wrapped with artwork by Matt Lock (puffandmagic.com), edition of 100
http://www.dntrecords.com/images/dnt052.jpg
DNT052 - Pod Blotz "Snowstorm of Electricity" cassette $6/$7/$10ppd US/Canada/World
*photo of cover and proper description coming soon*. This first time I saw Pod Blotz was in the basement of a house in the Mission. I walk in to see this girl doing some wild theremin action. She's out of this world. Edition of 100 pro-dubbed tapes

DNT062 - Plankton Wat "Alchemy of Darkness"/"Dawn of the Golden Eternity" cassette $6/$7/$10ppd US/Canada/World
in spirit of the "back 2 back classic albums" tapes of the 80s, DNT is happy to reissue Plankton Wat's two DNT albums, "Alchemy of Darkness" (DNT034) and "Dawn of the Golden Eternity" (DNT055) *we just received a box of copies back from a distributer, so the lp is still available!*. Edition of 100 pro-dubbed tapes with artwork and imprinting imitating that style (including shrinkwrap!). Here are a few snippets of reviews from each album:
"The first side starts slowly with tentative, measured guitar figures that are slowly bathed in reverb, becoming more and more prolonged as they begin to overlap. These gorgeous overlapping ripples begin to take on an edge, with a slight bite of distortion keeping the whole mess from drifting off into the ether. Continuously refracting into gorgeous peaks and valleys, this wonderfully long first side is finished off with more steel string guitar bathed in ambience. As the jams on the second side of Alchemy of Darkness rock and sway in the waves trailing from Mahood’s ever-spacey guitar, the dreamy mood that makes this tape so wonderful becomes comforting and warm. With such gorgeous execution and flow, Alchemy of Darkness becomes one massive, droning meditation that won’t be leaving my tape deck for a good while." -c60 radio (http://c60radio.wordpress.com/)
"Debut solo LP from Dewey Mahood of psych monsters Eternal Tapestry, with a range of styles that is as beautifully fucked as The Faust Tapes. Some searing lead guitar, some reflective looped string work that has a whiff of Mark McGuire’s six-string alchemy, doomy acid folk and some cranky Kraut grooves, pretty much what you were hoping for." -volcanic tongue
http://www.dntrecords.com/images/dnt051re.jpg
DNT051 - Sean McCann "Phylum Sigh" full-length cassette $7/$8/$11ppd US/Canada/World *Price reflects the very limited nature of this reissue*
While digging through some boxes we uncovered a small amount of extras of the original covers, so we are happy to reissue this in a micro-edition of 34. This edition is on a green cassette, to prevent phonys from trying to flip this on ebay as a first edition. Here is what we said the first time around:
Time to dust off that bong you have stored on the top shelf for special times..or whatever. Here's the debut full-length cassette by Sean McCann from San Francisco-by-way-of-Goleta. Meticulously recorded through out 2008, this album was crafted to numb minds and spin souls through use of euphoric strings and bending keyboard plains. Sean's most focused work to date
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2010, 08:16 AM   #2
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks, Tynan. Just ordered a copy of the Plankton Wat.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2010, 10:14 PM   #3
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
^^^^^
Old 02.19.2011, 02:13 PM   #4
dntrecords
children of satan

new review of the tad tape:

"Tad (not the local grunge mofos) is the musical moniker of Tynan Krakoff, perhaps better known as the CEO of DNT Records. His debut Path to the Dutchie is dub through and through. And I don't been "dubby," lots of bands are that but this tape is creatively and faithfully dub. The first side is the title track which blinks to a start with synth blips and some groovy-ass organ. Krakoff unleashes one of the most monster motherfucking grooves I've heard in a while. The melody is straight-up infectious and Krakoff couches it in an ever-shifting sound world of heavily effected keyboards, guitar and drum programming and also plenty of oddities (I swear there is a sample from NFL Blitz in here.) It's flat out amazing and gets out of yr hair quickly. This would be sad except the flip side "Version" is probably an even better rendition. Making good use of a reverb-laden melodica, this side takes the previous side's infectious melody and turns it inside out. While the melody holds down the jam, Krakoff sets about, in true dub fashion, to live delay pedal knob twiddling of percussion samples, trumpeting elephants, cackling dolphins and, I don't know, some insane monkeys or something. Totally out of left field and yet totally loveable. This thing is about the perfect cassingle. Not just because the music is great but because the two tracks sound so great looped back to back over and over. Vinyl ain't gonna do that for you. Having to flip the record over constantly would make it a chore, and I'm pretty sure Tad would come out fiercely against chores. This tape has been out for two months and I ain't sick of this bad boy yet; I am starting to doubt I ever will be. Absolutely recommended." - http://auxiliaryout.blogspot.com/201...hie-dntal.html

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth