Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Any Guesses to what Mote is about?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.28.2007, 09:19 AM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
frankly, I prefer it that way afterthefact
Old 03.29.2007, 04:23 AM   #22
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Only in slang:

mota
  1. f. Partícula pequeña de alguna cosa,que se pega a la ropa o a otras partes:
    no quiero ni una mota de polvo.
  2. Defecto muy ligero o de poca importancia:
    ese incidente no es más que una mota en tu expediente.
  3. Elevación de poca altura,natural o artificial,que se levanta en un llano.
  4. Mancha,dibujo o pequeña estampación redondeada o muy pequeña:
    vestido liso con motas de colores.
  5. amer. vulg. marihuana.
Ahh fair enough. It's what I thought it was since I heard it.
Old 03.29.2007, 09:28 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Mote is not about MOTA, or weed.
Old 04.04.2007, 11:54 AM   #24
DeathValley89
empty page

DeathValley89 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I think what Lee means is that you can't let anyone crush yr. dreams and always prevail, regardless of what others think... it's kind of hard tryingto figure out what the hell Lee writes about anyway (very abstract). ^^
DeathValley89 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2007, 12:06 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Lee Ranaldo is GOD!

Sonic Youth - Mote Lyrics

When you see the spiral turning through you alone
And you feel so heavy that you just can't stop it
When this sea of madness turns you into stone
Picture of your life shoots like a rocket
All the time

Put 'me' in the equation it's alright
I've seen you moving in and out of sight
My friends tell me it's all cut through you (?)
From nowhere - to nowhere
Cut together - cutting through

I'm island-bound, a mote inside my eye
I can't see you breathing as before
I am airless - a vacuum child
I can't stand to reason at your door
In this time

Put 'me' in the equation it's alright
I've seen you moving in and out of sight
My friends tell me it's all cut through you (?)
From nowhere - to nowhere
Come together

I'm down in the daytime out of sight
Comin' in from dreamland I'm on fire
I can see it's all been here before
Dream a dream that lies right at your door

When the seasons circle sideways out of turn
And words don't speak just fall across the carpet
You're just in time to watch the fires burn
It seems a crime but yr. face is bright you love it
All the time...
Old 04.04.2007, 03:37 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

HEYdazedcola.

I sent the lyrics to Mote to my girlfriend who is NOT a sonic youth fan but she is supa smart and insightful when it comes to lyrics and I old her to let me know what she thinks of the MOTE lyrics. Here is her reply.

ultimately, my take on it is that he speaks of someone very close to him, maybe a partner and at the same time speaking of how they feel of this life, their life and all the shit that comes with it. he feels like this person sees their relationship/life as an equation and does not feel a consistency with that person, whether physically or emotionally I do not know - they are always seeing him/her "moving in or out of sight". It seems as if he feels like he is the only one that feels the turmoil and "heaviness" of their relationship, that how he pictures the other person's life is much more like a rocket, while he feels like he has this spiral in him, turning him heavy and into stone.

when he speaks of what his friends tell him, what comes to mind is when people cut coke, but in this case, its like everything he sees/feels/desires goes through the other person, like their influence is "cut" into and through everything, but yet it comes from nowhere and goes nowhere.

Mote is a tiny speck/particle - i very much relate with their description of how they feel like this small little thing inside his eye. a separation from the present, a disassociation from the whole of their body/life, rather just feeling like this little speck inside the eye watching their "life"....and the "island-bound" reference further shows disassociation from life/society.

he wants in this time, does not want to "reason at the door" - wants to be let in, being shut out is no longer allowing him to "see the other person breathing as before" whether that means he does not see the passion in them anymore or does not feel it himself...

he goes "down in the daytime and out of sight" but comes back with "fire", feels the repetition of this and their relationship, but in the end, does not see it the same nor does he desire to go through it all again. when shit goes crazy and he blows up (last part re: fires burning, words not speaking but rather falling across the carpet) he feels as if it is a crime, but sees how much the other person feeds off of the situation....

this could also all relate to a certain aspect of himself - maybe the "rock star" part of him...
Old 04.23.2008, 07:19 PM   #27
silk1209
empty page

silk1209 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Weed. Mota is spanish for pot I believe.

Marijuana is already Spanish smarty pants. The Spanish term for weed (just a common weed) is mala hierba. Mota is the Spanish word for speck, as in a speck of dust.
silk1209 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth