Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 5 nirvana songs
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.12.2010, 09:04 AM   #221
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Haha...it's quite possible. Courtney had an interesting theory, though. SHe said she felt as if he'd stuck around long enough to hear Frances say her first word, he might not have done it.

Theories are like opinions, I suppose.
Old 08.12.2010, 09:52 AM   #222
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
have you heard any of Francis' latest words? it's such a shame she grew up in LA...
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 03:49 AM   #223
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the advice guys. I might be hanging out with her tomorrow or this weekend. I'm honestly a little hesitant to go back to her apartment for obvious reasons, but I said maybe we can get something to eat somewhere and leave it at that. I think being in a public place is the best way to go. This wouldn't be as weird if we didn't literally live right next to each other.

Time will tell, I suppose. If by rare chance you never hear from me again, you guys can divide my mutual possessions as you see fit. I'll leave it up to you though to decide who gets which boxes of old VHS tapes.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 03:55 AM   #224
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Thanks for the advice guys. I might be hanging out with her tomorrow or this weekend. I'm honestly a little hesitant to go back to her apartment for obvious reasons, but I said maybe we can get something to eat somewhere and leave it at that. I think being in a public place is the best way to go. This wouldn't be as weird if we didn't literally live right next to each other.

Time will tell, I suppose. If by rare chance you never hear from me again, you guys can divide my mutual possessions as you see fit. I'll leave it up to you though to decide who gets which boxes of old VHS tapes.

~Jeremy~

That first paragraph! Smart....
Old 08.13.2010, 04:18 AM   #225
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I've just realised a horrible truth. I haven't heard In Utero yet! okay, I've come across some songs (Heath shaped box, rape me, dumb, pennyroyal tea, something in the way), but i'm unfamiliar to the rest of the album. How uncool is that?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 06:23 AM   #226
diamondsea
little trouble girl

diamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's assesdiamondsea kicks all y'all's asses
"Kurt would say afterwards, 'I really want my next album to sound like you guys.' I'd say, no, that would be a bad idea."

Kim Gordon, from Stevie Chick's Psychic Confusion
diamondsea is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 11:11 AM   #227
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
So here's something interesting that happened to me a couple days ago, I didn't think it needed a new thread and since it does involve Nirvana....

Anyway, months and months back I was in a bookstore with my brother and the cashier tried flirting with me because she thought I looked "Just like Kurt Cobain" and went on about it. I didn't really pay too much attention, I get that thing somewhat regularly, but she was pretty so we talked for a few minutes. My brother and I left and I never thought I'd see her again. Over the next few months she would notice me around the area and tried to get to know me on facebook and what not. I learned she was a model, which was cool. She always was going on and on about how much she loved Nirvana and Kurt Cobain and how I "looked like just him". I never thought much of it at the time....

So earlier this week on Monday I ran into her again. We talked for a bit and she asked me if I wanted to finally hang out with her tonight since she lived in an apartment complex not too far from mine. With lack of anything better to do that day, I said sure. What followed was the weirdest event in my life to date.

We go back to her place, where she told me her boyfriend had recently moved out. We go into her room and she said she has an interesting story for me revolving around Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music. She proceeds to tell me the most batshit crazy story I've ever heard. Before she knew their music, Kurt would apparently speak to her in her dreams and tell him how much he loved her. She would see his ghost wherever she went and the lights would often flicker in and out to signify he "was around her". She went to a psychic, and the psychic obviously could tell she was a little "off" so the psychic was able to convince her that her and Kurt were supposed to be together until he committed suicide. At this point, I begin to feel very uncomfortable about the whole thing but am honestly afraid to leave. So I keep listening and it gets weirder and weirder. The "spirit of Kurt" would randomly slip her money in random places and would have sexual dreams with her. Just on and on and on about this stuff, the story was over an hour long and only got stranger by the minute.

She then tells me she thinks her and I were "destined" to run into each other and that the spirit of Kurt came inside me when he died (I was four when he killed himself). At this point I'm trying to stay perfectly calm even though inside I'm very "concerned" for lack of a better word. She told me how hot she finds me, and that she wants to have sex with me and that it will be the most intense sex ever. I'm divided between "An attractive woman wants to fuck my brains out" and "A possibly psychotic yet attractive woman wants to fuck my brains out and God knows what else". I try to make an excuse or two, like how I had to leave before too long (Which was actually the truth), but she was just never stopped talking. Then out of NOWHERE she starts ranting about how upset and pissed she is with her ex boyfriend. She shows me to her mirror with a message she wrote for him when he left the apartment, and it was in red marker that stretched across the ENTIRE mirror like a horror movie or something, the message explaining how she will always be part of him and stuff like that. I only got past the first few sentences before walking into the other room, wanting nothing to do with this anymore.

She ended up crying and threatening suicide until I calmed her down. I left and she wants to hang out later this week. Round 2 for shenanigans, I suppose?

Sorry for the random post, thought it would make for an interesting story though.

~Jeremy~

serisouly...this is pretty fucked up man. bwhatever you do guy...be safe.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 11:54 AM   #228
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Jeremy, if this girl wasn't so beautiful just an average looker would you be meeting her again? Think about the message to the ex? I'd run the other way if I was you.

Atsonicpark the intelligent people being suicidal is a cop out. Drug addiction on the other hand is definitely suicide alley.
Old 08.13.2010, 01:22 PM   #229
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I've just realised a horrible truth. I haven't heard In Utero yet! okay, I've come across some songs (Heath shaped box, rape me, dumb, pennyroyal tea, something in the way), but i'm unfamiliar to the rest of the album. How uncool is that?

it is very cool it will all be new to you and that is awesome. I love it when i do that cause i dont have to find someone else to listen to.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 03:41 PM   #230
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
@ _slavo_: Something In The Way is the last (official) track on Nevermind.

As for what Kurt Cobain/Nirvana might've done on a 4th album, from You Know You're Right and something I recall reading about Kurt saying Scentless Apprentice is most indicative of the direction they were going in combined with some of the folkier bits from his last recordings---I'm guessing it would've been more polarized than In Utero, with half noisy tracks and half folky acoustic songs. Pat Smear might've joined the group as a second guitarist.

And chances are it wouldn't have sold very well, leading Geffen to drop Nirvana, the mainstream music press to write Cobain off as a washed-up one hit wonder, the band to break up, and for him to go into Syd Barrett-like self-exile, and maybe 10 years later people would "re-discover" the album and hail it as an underrated "lost classic", prompting pressure for Cobain to make a comeback. Maybe he would, probably with a different rhythm section as per Courtney Love's pressure...
Old 08.14.2010, 12:36 AM   #231
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
Jeremy, if this girl wasn't so beautiful just an average looker would you be meeting her again? Think about the message to the ex? I'd run the other way if I was you.

Atsonicpark the intelligent people being suicidal is a cop out. Drug addiction on the other hand is definitely suicide alley.

Well, she is just an interesting person in general, fun to talk about music with and what not, she just doesn't seem all there in her head.

As a friend she's cool. As anything more than that scares me.

~Jeremy~

Old 08.14.2010, 03:09 AM   #232
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Drain You
Negative Creep
School
Been A Son
Aneurysm

My first experience with Nirvana was this From The Muddy Banks of Wishkah tape a friend let me borrow. It was right when I was started to get into music seriously at around age 12. I didn't even own any kind of stereo or anything, all I had was this bulky kind of tape recorder used usually for recording meetings or whatever. Which was ok mostly but the only problem was that the batteries were old, mostly depleted and I never bothered to replace them. This coupled with the fact that the tape player was kind of broken anyway made the tape play really slowly. Well it'd start out kind of normal because you know how batteries will semi recharge a bit when not used for a while. So "Intro" and "School" would be okay albeit a little warbly. But by the time it got towards the end of the tape it'd be extremely slow.

Like this Kids in the Hall sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUBkEuxhgIU

But alot slower. It'd be on Negative Creep and it'd sound like "iiiiiiiiiii'mmmmmm aaaaaaaa nnnnnnnneeeeeeeeegggggggaaaaaaattttttiiiiiiivvvvvv vveeeeee cccrreeeeeep aaaaannnndddd iiiii'mmmmmm ssssstttooooooooonnnnneeeedddd."

Great record though.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2010, 03:14 AM   #233
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Negative Creep is an absolute masterpiece.
Old 08.14.2010, 03:16 AM   #234
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Drain You
Negative Creep
School
Been A Son
Aneurysm

My first experience with Nirvana was this From The Muddy Banks of Wishkah tape a friend let me borrow. It was right when I was started to get into music seriously at around age 12. I didn't even own any kind of stereo or anything, all I had was this bulky kind of tape recorder used usually for recording meetings or whatever. Which was ok mostly but the only problem was that the batteries were old, mostly depleted and I never bothered to replace them. This coupled with the fact that the tape player was kind of broken anyway made the tape play really slowly. Well it'd start out kind of normal because you know how batteries will semi recharge a bit when not used for a while. So "Intro" and "School" would be okay albeit a little warbly. But by the time it got towards the end of the tape it'd be extremely slow.

Like this Kids in the Hall sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUBkEuxhgIU

But alot slower. It'd be on Negative Creep and it'd sound like "iiiiiiiiiii'mmmmmm aaaaaaaa nnnnnnnneeeeeeeeegggggggaaaaaaattttttiiiiiiivvvvvv vveeeeee cccrreeeeeep aaaaannnndddd iiiii'mmmmmm ssssstttooooooooonnnnneeeedddd."

Great record though.

Man, Smoke on the Water sounds so heavy at that speed...
Old 08.14.2010, 03:56 AM   #235
Jeremy
100%

I really wish the full Live and Loud special would be released on DVD, but thankfully I actually think that might be the next Nirvana-related DVD release.

~Jeremy~

Old 08.14.2010, 12:57 PM   #236
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Alice in Chains >>> Nirvana. If Kurt didn't wear that silly T-shirt on the cover of Rolling Stone they would have been half as famous as they were. He used the media that he despised to his advantage. As a heroin addict with unlimited supply he was doomed to an accidental overdose. The suicide was just like a painter...
Old 08.14.2010, 01:10 PM   #237
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
Alice in Chains >>> Nirvana. If Kurt didn't wear that silly T-shirt on the cover of Rolling Stone they would have been half as famous as they were. He used the media that he despised to his advantage. As a heroin addict with unlimited supply he was doomed to an accidental overdose. The suicide was just like a painter...

You're not gonna find too many people who will agree with you on these statements (except the part about him ODing if he didn't get clean)...
Old 08.14.2010, 01:25 PM   #238
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
You're not gonna find too many people who will agree with you on these statements (except the part about him ODing if he didn't get clean)...

I realize that but it's my opinion and I felt like stating it because there's too much love for Kurt on this forum. He's just another man he isn't God.
Old 08.14.2010, 01:54 PM   #239
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Wow, Chicka...I don't think it boils down to him being perceived as a god so much as it is a generational thing. His music was very accessible, and very easy to identify with.

I don't think I speak for myself alone when I say that he was largely responsible for getting lots of people into music, period. Nirvana was the first band I took seriously. The first band I identified with on a personal level. The first band that separated what I was listening to from the music of my parents.

I'm almost convinced that if it hadn't been for Nirvana/Kurt...I would have never gotten into Flipper, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Shonen Knife, Dinosaur, Stooges, Melvins, etc....
Old 08.14.2010, 02:32 PM   #240
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

AiC are a good campfire band. They sound good when wandering around in the woods.

Their unplugged album is outstanding...and there's a few other "ok" tracks, but for the most part I was never all that much of a fan.
91011 12 1314 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth