Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth with Dinosaur Jr. - Nov. 21 @ Terminal 5 NYC
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.22.2009, 02:32 AM   #101
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
'Stereo Sanctity' was the highlight for me.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2009, 02:32 AM   #102
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't find the sound as bad as a lot of people claim it is, but it wasn't great either.

Dino/SY tore face. I'm so glad SY played White Kross. What an amazing gig.

Wednesday is going to rawk even harder.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2009, 09:37 AM   #103
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Yah, I thought the band sounded good--vocals got better and worse but never great. I was mostly 2nd floor rear; ymmv

Who was the opening act? I liked 'em.
Old 11.22.2009, 09:54 AM   #104
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
so amazing. took lots of video footage. will upload soon.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2009, 10:49 AM   #105
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
I didn't find the sound as bad as a lot of people claim it is, but it wasn't great either.

Dino/SY tore face. I'm so glad SY played White Kross. What an amazing gig.

Wednesday is going to rawk even harder.

I actually thought the sound was really good! We were up near Lee, maybe 5 or 6 "rows" back. I think sound often depends on where you stand.

And you were right: 3 songs from DDN. I figured they would be tired of that by now.

Anyway, glad we got to meet, and great show!
Old 11.22.2009, 11:33 AM   #106
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
The sound=not the best
My email followups=not the best
Sonic Youth=the best

"Silver Rocket" shone a light on previously unacknowledged nooks in my
soul. "Calming the Snake" showed everyone why Kim Gordon is the hero.

Dinner and convo beforehand a treat. As per usual.
Old 11.22.2009, 12:07 PM   #107
hshiau
empty page

hshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asseshshiau kicks all y'all's asses
It was my first SY concert and it was amazing. Sound was fine for me since we were up against the barricade. Best part was when Thurston came right at me with his guitar and mic stand during Silver Rocket. I could have reached out and grabbed his guitar!
hshiau is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2009, 12:24 PM   #108
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Issues with sound quality usually has to do with the acoustics of the interior of a building. It's pretty clear that Terminal 5 wasn't designed for holding rock concerts, hence the sound disparity.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2009, 12:39 PM   #109
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
re: sound quality

For many years, I've been using ear plugs at concerts. I really think this helps the quality of the sound. I believe, though not medically confirmed, that since I have fairly moderate tinitus, the 'dynamic range' of my ears is quite compromised. W/O the plugs, my ears would distort and obviously, the concert wouldn't sound as good.

Curious about other's perception of sound quality vs ear plugs...

And for those of you who scoff at wearing plugs, if you could hear what I hear, every waking hour of the day, you might think different... (I believe a good deal of my problem came at a Black Flag concert back in the 80s where I decided to stand in front of the speakers rather than risk the dance floor...)
Old 11.22.2009, 12:46 PM   #110
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
I actually thought the sound was really good! We were up near Lee, maybe 5 or 6 "rows" back. I think sound often depends on where you stand.

And you were right: 3 songs from DDN. I figured they would be tired of that by now.

Anyway, glad we got to meet, and great show!
Yeah, I was on Thurston's side, front row, all the way near right stage exit, so maybe that had something to do with it. The sound was good, though - a lot better than most Bowery venues anyway. I'd go there for a "rock"-based show again.

The Eternal material sounded much stronger than when I saw them in Philly earlier this summer. Setlist was very good and pretty close to what I expected. I was thrilled to hear Shadow of a Doubt, Stereo Sanctity, and White Kross.

Always cool to meet my fellow SYG homiez. Hopefully we can do it again some time. :7)

Old 11.22.2009, 01:01 PM   #111
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I was pretty much right next to you SuperCreep. Did you see me? I didn't say hi because I was also with my GF for most of the show and it's always awkard to have online friends and real friends meet.

I too did not find the sound quality to be all that horrible. Sonic Youth and Dinosour Jr were both amazing bands and I almost stopped noticing. When my GF left to get earplugs she told me the sound elsewhere in the venue wasn't great but still better than what she had been anticipating.

Sorry if I was awkward at the pre-show dinner thing. It had been an exhausting afternoon.

Old 11.22.2009, 01:15 PM   #112
ennui61
empty page

ennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's asses
I thought this show was worlds better than the United Theater Show. United Theater had bass bouncing off everthing. Was great to see they changed the other material from that show. Would love to see less Eternal material Wed but it's the new record so like most things in life i won't be getting my way. But hell it's another SY show so i'll be happy with whatever they play
ennui61 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2009, 01:16 PM   #113
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
Yeah, I was pretty much right next to you SuperCreep. Did you see me? I didn't say hi because I was also with my GF for most of the show and it's always awkard to have online friends and real friends meet.

I too did not find the sound quality to be all that horrible. Sonic Youth and Dinosour Jr were both amazing bands and I almost stopped noticing. When my GF left to get earplugs she told me the sound elsewhere in the venue wasn't great but still better than what she had been anticipating.

Sorry if I was awkward at the pre-show dinner thing. It had been an exhausting afternoon.
I saw you! You were like...right next to me or two persons next to me. I hope my spazzing out didn't ruin yr video. I also think I remembered yr gf from outside the Philly gig, so I chose not to butt in between acts/songs/whatever. It's cool, though. I'm down with the "Worlds Theory."

Old 11.22.2009, 01:48 PM   #114
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
This show was so good I didn't even mind being in the middle of a crowd.
Usually the very prospect makes me apoplectic.
Old 11.22.2009, 03:05 PM   #115
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Has JFK airport got 5 terminals?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2009, 03:23 PM   #116
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Tracer
Great show. Dinosaur tore it up. SY played Shadow of a Doubt, Stereo Sanctity, White Cross, Silver Rocket, The Sprawl, and Cross The Breeze. Great set. Can't wait for Wed night.

christ, they played Shadow?

i really want to hear that tonight.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2009, 07:55 PM   #117
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
I saw you! You were like...right next to me or two persons next to me. I hope my spazzing out didn't ruin yr video. I also think I remembered yr gf from outside the Philly gig, so I chose not to butt in between acts/songs/whatever. It's cool, though. I'm down with the "Worlds Theory."

Yeah, haha. She was really sick at the Philli show, I felt kinda bad. Actually, a number of my friends who were at that show got sick. Another dude started throwing up in the bathroom. It was strange.

I meant to talk to you and ask if you remembered me when we met kim/thurston but there wasn't really a good time.

Anywho, this show was definitely a lot better.

Old 11.22.2009, 08:30 PM   #118
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
fortunate bastards!!!!!!

SONIC LIFE!
Old 11.22.2009, 11:26 PM   #119
jnic
little trouble girl

jnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's asses
I really enjoyed last night's show. I was in various locations in the venue. My fav. spot was 3rd balcony, Thurston side, about halfway back. Great sound up there. Massage the History sounded great, Silver Rocket I was losin' my shit!!!!! I did not mind the DDN songs and yes, White Kross was a real surprise. One of my fav. SY show's here in NYC in over a decade. They sounded so good and tight.
jnic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2009, 09:41 AM   #120
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

White Kross and Shadow of a Doubt were both big surprises.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth