Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The best song for you on NYCG&F?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: The best song for you on NYCG&F? Post a Poll
Free City Rhymes 17 26.15%
Renegade Princess 1 1.54%
Nevermind 5 7.69%
Small Flowers Crack Concrete 7 10.77%
Side2Side 1 1.54%
StreamXSonic Subway 2 3.08%
NYC Ghosts & Flowers 32 49.23%
Lightnin' 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.02.2006, 02:18 PM   #21
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
NYC Ghosts & Flowers

I think it's the best song since Mote, in 1990

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 02:36 PM   #22
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Marie
Soory, but NYCG+F just goes downhill after after track 1. Small Flowers is embaressing. Someone tell Thurston hes not the next Allen Ginsberg. I dont think it deserved the 0.0 rating Pitchfork gave it, but i just dont dig the minimalism garbage.

Minimalism? I don't hear any minimalism.

I think it's an ok album. Not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.
Old 04.02.2006, 02:56 PM   #23
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
NYCG&F
Old 04.02.2006, 03:02 PM   #24
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
gotta say NYCG&F. I think it's Lee's best songs, but I've never heard Genetic, so I really couldn't make that opinion justified. I would love to see it back in the setlists... HINT HINT.
Old 04.02.2006, 03:04 PM   #25
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
i voted for nyc g&f but i change my mind...
album song: streamXsonik subway <-- love the noise jim creates during this song
live song: nyc g&f
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 03:06 PM   #26
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

What the hell does Jim play on Subway? It fuckin rules whatever it is.
Old 04.02.2006, 03:11 PM   #27
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
there are so many great songs on this album to choose from that i really had a hard time with this poll.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 03:15 PM   #28
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
obviously NYCG+F. the best SY song after Expressway. I think of it in the same group of songs with I love her all the time, Expressway to yr skull, Diamond Sea, the Sprawl and Schizophrenia.

with the exception of NYCGF, the first track and lightin' , the rest of the songs off NYCGF are not even interesting. i dislike that album - and murray street and s nurse.
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 03:21 PM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
there are so many great songs on this album to choose from that i really had a hard time with this poll.

my problem is the opposite. i don't really like most of them. i mean they are OK but meh...

ok, let the flaming begin

no, no flaming-- it's just probably my least favorite sy album, close to ejstns...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 03:29 PM   #30
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
It's my least favorite album too, but I still love it.
Old 04.02.2006, 03:29 PM   #31
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

I think NYCG&F is my favourite Sonic Youth album. It's in the running with Evol, Washing Machine and DDN.

I agree in that my least favourite is EJSTNS.
Old 04.02.2006, 09:25 PM   #32
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
NYCG&F easily. Free City Rhymes and Rengade are honorable mentions. And if Kim had only come up with different lyrics for the middle part of Nevermind (Boys go to Jupiter...) that would probably be my top actually. But she didn't and Lee prevails with his amazing poetry.
Old 04.02.2006, 09:39 PM   #33
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
NYCG&F is one of two SY albums I don't really dig, but don't hold against them, the other being jet set, of course. I mean, their gear got stolen before this one and they hadn't really worked into their new gear yet... and the production, no offense to jim, just doesn't fit right most of the time. Too thin. As for jet set, kim was pregnant and there were no lee songs. It's a fuckin odd ball.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 04:21 AM   #34
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
me what sucks... i voted nycg&fs but having seen the results i wanna wade in for renegade princess as that seems to be getting over looked and it rockswell.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 07:14 AM   #35
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
boys go to jupiter they get stupider

hah hah i had forgotten. that just won my vote.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 10:54 AM   #36
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
It's probably the only SY record that I didn't hear hundreds of times but perhaps a maximum of 5 times instead
Surely liked "Nevermind"
sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 12:12 PM   #37
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
mine would be the first one, but after seen side2side live with jim o' rourke behind laptop it's immpossible to vote
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth