Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Let's talk 90's electronic music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.13.2010, 03:07 PM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I was heavy into electro stuff in the mid-90's. I'd say the two compilations that would best sum up this period would be MTV's AMP compilation, and the first volume of Urbal Beats.

let's chat -- why not?
Old 09.13.2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
UR. Do you need anything more? I'd argue probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 03:13 PM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
a lot of people hate Moby for whatever reason(s).

I personally think that Everything Is Wrong is a complete masterpiece.
Old 09.13.2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
His Play-era stuff is fucking abysmal; I like to score was alright. He was certainly someone who was a lot more interesting before he was famous, clichéd though it is to say that.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.13.2010, 03:21 PM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

no that is true. I still have a soft spot for him. And I actually did (and do) like Play as well as the Play B-Sides. HOWEVER, I Like To Score, Ambient, Early Underground, etc were all really interesting records far before anyone really "knew" who he was. Yes.

whatchoo think of Lords Of Acids? I think they were fun for some party singles. Really Greatest T*ts is all you need. Fun acid stuff. Brainless but whatever.
Old 09.13.2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

I had to remind myself of who they were. The answer is not much, though it did remind me of Sheep on Drugs, who I still have a bit of a soft spot for.

Quote:
Old 09.13.2010, 03:48 PM   #7
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Do you mean techno or noise-shit wanko stuff?

I have somewhere a couple tapes I made at like 2am when Joey Beltram was djing on this small Bronx radio station, his show was the 78th Street Project, circa 1988 or 89.

I find a lot of that stuff sounds dated to me, due to the tech they used. Cab Voltaire did a bunch of dance oriented stuff, I had to get rid of it because it just sounded like fake casio. I do like the Colors ep still.

If they ever finish repairing my apt and I can move back in and unpack, I've got a couple cool comps I could refer you to. How about Adamski? 808 State? There seem to have been a lot of cool one-off tracks by other producers.

I loved Depeche Mode's first album when it came out, but I was like 17 so you can excuse me, there was nothing else like it then. (I also liked Black Flag at the same time)
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 03:48 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Underground Resistance and Unit Moebius are pretty much all you need. There are torrents on demonoid with the complete discographies of both labels, and both are pretty much the sound of awesome electronic music. A lot of detroit stuff, especially Jeff Mills, is worth getting.

In my opinion, DREXCIYA is the best electronic musician to come out of the 90's, get all of his (by "His", I mean Stinson's) stuff and his side projects.

And of course, one of my favorite albums of all time is the 90's classic Photek's "Modus Operandi".

As for Amp, I love it, nostalgically.. WipEout XL, mainstream rave culture, whee! Anyway I have 21 episodes of AMP (47 minutes each) on dvd now. There's a torrent for it on kickasstorrents. Fluke - Atom Bomb pretty much sums up 90's electronic music for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Nq6PzY0xA

A lot of genres, like d'n'b, seemed to have peaked in the 90's. I remember when I first got into MP3's, there'd just be folder after folder of awesome electronic stuff. Modus Operandi took like 3 hours to complete back in 1999! But it was worth it.

Anyway, I am in the process of getting rid of all my cd's/tapes/etc, except for a few J-Indie bands and some discographies (Jandek, Sun City Girls), some modern classical... and I'm keeping all my electronic stuff (this includes electroacoustic improv). 95% of what I've listened to in the past year is electronic-based. So, yeah, I'm pretty much going to exclusively devote my listening to electronic music, probably for the rest of my life... occasionally popping in a Fall or Captain Beefheart album, of course, for old time's sake.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I'm listening to a compilation that was part of a series called ''Miscellaneous''. I have a few of these which I found all over the place when sorting out some records recently. They are a mixed bag, and personally I find they got more interesting around the time you had all these ambient people (you ought to hear the sort of crap David Toop submitted to a few of them) got more influenced by jungle or drum and bass. It was around 1995, I think. My personal favourites on this one in particular are Endemic Void's ''Subether'', particularly because rhythmically it kind of reminds me of a lighter, noise-free version of Witchman crossed with the ''poppier'' trip hop that went into the charts, and Tao's ''Jinn'', which is this repetitive electro mantra influenced by raga.*
*as bad as that reads, it's enjoyable to listen to.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I had to remind myself of who they were. The answer is not much, though it did remind me of Sheep on Drugs, who I still have a bit of a soft spot for.
I think I still have a record of theirs somewhere.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 04:19 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've been listening to lots of Speedy J lately. The problem with 90's electronic music is that there's just too much of it that is amazing. That's the thing I can't get over, there are just too many fucking amazing albums.

Techno anthem/mixtape staple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9zSiA8jmXs

Teste - the Wipe (this is the remix, can't find the original on youtube). Richie Hawtin recalls it as,“still the only track that sounds like it’s physically ripping through a sound system.”

Can anyone reccomend some Wolfgang Voigt stuff? I mean, he has literally 60 or so side projects, so... uh... yeah. And each one has a million singles/eps/double albums. The only one I'm familiar with is GAS, which sounds like ambient tracks than someone sped up 3 times and then slowed down 3 times, to the normal speed, so everything has this weird computerized decaying sound where the songs sound like they were rebuilt with shimmering but somewhat ugly synthetic harmonics.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 04:29 PM   #12
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
My bandmate (an audiophile in his 50s) still carries a torch for that first Global Communication album, and uses it to demo the astronomically-expensive home audio systems he designs and builds.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

GAS is the only one that's really worth listening to, in my experience. Are you up to speed with all the old Tresor stuff? You probably should be.

And I think the reason people are embarrassed by Depeche Mode is because everyone knows that Erasure were the better band. Or, at least, they never made lyrics as bad as Enjoy the Silence.

Quote:
Old 09.13.2010, 04:35 PM   #14
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Depeche Mode in 1986. It was the first time I had the experience of going to a show making me into less of a fan than I was going in.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 04:45 PM   #15
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

did you listen to "Pussy"? If not, listen to "Pussy."
Old 09.13.2010, 04:47 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
did you listen to "Pussy"? If not, listen to "Pussy."

You owe me approximately 95 seconds of my life now. I'm going to find you and make a necklace of your eyeballs if you recommend anything that shite to me again.

Quote:
Old 09.13.2010, 04:48 PM   #17
noisereductions
invito al cielo

hahahahahaha
Old 09.13.2010, 04:51 PM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

I have a friend who's apparently got some 30-odd tapes of Happy Hardcore that she wants me to digitise for her. Which I'm quite looking forward to. The golden age of Helter Skelter. I'll up some of it when I do it (which will be about a million years from now because I am one lazy motherfucker).

Quote:
Old 09.13.2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Depche Mode with and after Black VCelebration became a different beast altogether though. Before that album the focus was heavy on dancable discotech tracks. then they got into S+M and heroin! two things that always makes bands better!
Old 09.13.2010, 05:02 PM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I saw Depeche Mode in 1986. It was the first time I had the experience of going to a show making me into less of a fan than I was going in.

Interpol's ANTICS-era show did that to me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth