Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Post SY... Where to Start...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.28.2018, 07:18 PM   #21
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I liked Last Night on Earth by Lee better than Electric Trim. He really suits the solo guitar, but he seems to think he needs the backing band for some reason. So I'd go for Last Night on Earth and the Rising Tide Demos CD that he sold on the 2014 solo tour in the UK if you can find them

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2018, 10:23 PM   #22
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen that for sale on discogs I think
Old 03.06.2018, 03:46 AM   #23
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston has been Thurston-ing along but Rock n Roll Consciousness is a leap forward - dude needs to be in a four piece with a crushing female bassist (Deb Googe of MBV fame), Steve Shelley and a technically adroit yet noise/drone inclined foil to play duel lead guitar with - who knew? He's settled on the line up and they've hit some fine form with RnRC, think Murray Street/Nurse extended jams, only with a bit of added doom - it's got that same expansive, locked in, slowly unfolding thing.

I've really enjoyed Lee's solo albums, though they are pretty conventional - I grew up on pre-punk/60s blues rock and pop (ta mum), so am naturally inclined towards that style. He's finally let himself do the neil young/bob dylan/deadhead-but-not-live thing. Rather good stuff it is too, but if the thought of a full LP of Lee in that mode is a turn off then approach with caution. That being said, I'd start here for Lee stuff, it's a vid the man himself pulled together with a monster jam on The Rising Tide from the demo CD that ikara cult mentions, probably my favourite thing any of them have done post-yoof. It's as long as the long Diamond Sea off Destroyed Room, but well worth the commitment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PID4... index=21&t=0s

Kim has basically smashed it. Body/Head are one of the most exciting bands on the face of the planet for me at the moment - exploratory noise, mad textures, oblique poetry... She and Nace referenced Syd Barrett in early interviews, so if you can imagine a sort of melted Free Kitten with the open astral vistas of live improv Barrett Floyd then it's not tooooo far off the mark (but I've been listening to a lot of FK recently, so maybe take that with a pinch of salt). Again, if Kim in full on art punk mode, without a rhythm section or anyone trying to reign it in and give it form, jamming out for up to 15 minutes per 'song' is a massive no-no, then give Body/Head a wide berth. The Glitterbust album was in a similar vein but less abrasive, so maybe that Barrett reference but with an Experimental Jet Set vibe rather than the Free Kitten one. It flew under the radar a bit it seems ("oh, whatsit out of Sonic Youth has a noise improv two-guitar duo on the go? What, you mean she's got TWO???") but comes recommended. She's also done a couple of frankly bizarre pop songs in collaboration with different people that, while perfectly fine and show a great willingness to step outside her comfort zone, etc, are pretty insubstantial diversions.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth