Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Beck ?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.28.2008, 08:11 AM   #41
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
because the Church of $cientology is good at currying favor w/ the mass media.

I love that this is brought up so often. It's very "his-beliefs-are-different-than-mine-so-I'm-gonna-make-fun-of-him."
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2008, 12:26 PM   #42
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard suckaacousticrock87 cold hard sucka
Beck and Radiohead are following-bands. Their fan bases mirror underground bands in that people will buy anything and everything they do and faint over their live music even without radio support (although Radiohead huge radio play when it was getting off the ground). They just have much larger fanbases than underground bands. They're the bands that mainstream listeners will actually dedicate an abnormal interest in.

I love them both, but the size of their fanbases, especially Beck's, technically doesn't make sense. Same with jam bands like Dave Matthews and Phish.

Whatever.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2008, 12:46 PM   #43
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Radiohead and Beck are both great. Fan bases aside.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2008, 01:16 PM   #44
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
he's cool. i love the new album
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2008, 08:49 PM   #45
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Beck and Radiohead are following-bands. Their fan bases mirror underground bands in that people will buy anything and everything they do and faint over their live music even without radio support (although Radiohead huge radio play when it was getting off the ground). They just have much larger fanbases than underground bands. They're the bands that mainstream listeners will actually dedicate an abnormal interest in.

I love them both, but the size of their fanbases, especially Beck's, technically doesn't make sense. Same with jam bands like Dave Matthews and Phish.

Whatever.

dave matthews and phish should never be mentioned in the same day, let alone sentence. Dave Matthews writes pop music and has an amazing group of musicians that he tours with to play those songs. Matthews has said himself that he is the least talented member of his band. I completely agree with him on that...but thats about as much respect I have for him. I respect his honesty.

His music sucks.

Phish on the other hand, they are pretty good. I'm not a huge fan, but I have seen a lot of jam bands (mostly at wanee fest and magnolia fest...), and Phish definitely stood out.

I think the fan base for radiohead and beck make perfect sense. They are able to make a few songs on each album that can appeal to a much wider fan base without having to compromise creativity and musical integrity. Of course, there are a few songs by each (more so with beck than with radiohead in my opinion) that did sacrifice musical integrity for a broader appeal, but you have to wonder how much of that is the record label. Sonic Youth is quasi-guilty of the same thing. Only difference is when SY writes music for a broader appeal, it sounds amazing.

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2008, 09:02 PM   #46
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I love that this is brought up so often. It's very "his-beliefs-are-different-than-mine-so-I'm-gonna-make-fun-of-him."

i would never make fun of $cientology...it's a grave topic.

ok, so the whole Xenu thing is pretty funny...
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content 2006 Sonic Youth