Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page "Compact Disc Rot" found on older cds (early 90's...)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2008, 12:32 AM   #41
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginald

What, do people burn at too high of a speed ? Use lousy hardware, the cheapest cdr's ? I use Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui, but even some of the old memorex and sony's are still undamaged.

Disc rot has nothing to do with how you burn the discs. It is about how the manufacturer applied the lacquer on the discs, so it is their fault not ours, the users. I had this kind of problems with Samsung Black CD-R's, which aren't quite lousy and cheep. I have cheeper bulk blanks who are in mint condition over a very good amount of time, burned and stored the same way as thos Samsungs...

http://cdrot.com/info/why-are-cd-rotting-how-it-happens
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 06:40 AM   #42
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i found mould on my 8 track......
Old 06.20.2008, 07:56 AM   #43
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei
Disc rot has nothing to do with how you burn the discs. It is about how the manufacturer applied the lacquer on the discs, so it is their fault not ours, the users. I had this kind of problems with Samsung Black CD-R's, which aren't quite lousy and cheep. I have cheeper bulk blanks who are in mint condition over a very good amount of time, burned and stored the same way as thos Samsungs...

http://cdrot.com/info/why-are-cd-rotting-how-it-happens

Yes, I understand about the disc-rot, I was just carrying it further with data breakdown on cdr's. I think any archivist will just have to continually reburn to new discs or transfer data to new HD's are whatever new hardware storage comes out with new technology. What a hassle though, huh ? I don't compress.

Funny thing is, manufacturers used to put on the discs..."Will last a lifetime under proper care". They're right ! They DO last the DISCS lifetime !!

Fuckers !
reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 09:13 AM   #44
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
I think the biggest problem with CDs is actually the players. The el-cheapos that most of us North Americans have been buying over the past ten years (JVC, RCA, etc.) are prone to the same sort of symptons that have been traditionally associated with so-called 'CD rot': static, skips (particularly on the latter tracks of longer discs), stalls, refusals to play, etc. I usually get 6 to 18 months of satisfactory usage out of those goddamned things. I can see why someone using one might mistake its dysfunctional behaviour for the onset of CD rot.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 09:43 AM   #45
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
that is the plan. The mega coorations who partenered with SOny to bring about the CD revilution decided to , instead of making the CD's affordable. (they could sell them for $5 a pop and still quadruple thei investment costs) they would instead make cheaper and more dsisposable CD players, with obsolescence built in.
Old 06.20.2008, 11:16 AM   #46
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetengine
I think the biggest problem with CDs is actually the players. The el-cheapos that most of us North Americans have been buying over the past ten years (JVC, RCA, etc.) are prone to the same sort of symptons that have been traditionally associated with so-called 'CD rot': static, skips (particularly on the latter tracks of longer discs), stalls, refusals to play, etc. I usually get 6 to 18 months of satisfactory usage out of those goddamned things. I can see why someone using one might mistake its dysfunctional behaviour for the onset of CD rot.

you have a point but disc rot cannot be confused with a bad cd player as disc rot is very recognizable on a cd, when you visibily see the readable side of a cd turn from a mirrored silver to a bronze color you know something ain't right...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 07:20 PM   #47
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
This was known very early on.

I remember reading about it in the early 1990s. You can hold up old CDs to the light and see small holes which begin to appear as the surface of the CD disintegrates. I had unplayable CDs by the mid-90s that I'd bought only a couple of years earlier.

ahh, fixing cds with a sharpie, what a 90s moment.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth