Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page do you think you'd be a good parent and why?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2011, 09:32 AM   #21
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
(o)(o)
a loverly bunch of coconuts.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2011, 10:53 AM   #22
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I used to think I'd be the world's most excellent mother. Now I think I'd be shit. So better not.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2011, 10:55 AM   #23
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I feel that I'm a great parent. WHY - because I love my kids and care about them. I spend time with them and have a vested interest in their lives. I always try to be fair and honest when talking with them, especially when they've done something wrong. I don't hesitate to let them know that I don't always have the right answer nor can I correct every problem......but they know they never have to face a problem alone. Also, having a wonderful wife at my side makes this possible / so much easier.

Our kids know that we strive to live on a budget and sometimes we can't afford "wants." At the same time, we nor the kids have to worry about the electricity being turned off or where the next meal is coming from. Living on a budget ensures these basic necessities. There are times I wish I could do much more financially for my family, but having / doing more wouldn't equal more love.

I think most people have some sort of an idea about the kind of parent they can be. At the same time, I think many don't even want to consider it because they know it means they are getting older. For many, I think growing older is a greater fear than the fear of being a parent.

best post ever.

Old 07.08.2011, 11:50 AM   #24
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
When I was younger, I wanted no part of children or marriage.

And then I met a wonderful girl whom I want to spend my life with, and she wants to have a family someday.

So I can't say what kind of parent I will eventually be, but I have a good idea of what I want for them. I know one day I will have to explain to them why they have two aunts and no uncle but have still have cousins. As far as discipline goes, I have a problem with so many parents not enforcing it these days, but at the same time I don't want to back to the "seen and not heard" days of pre baby boomer parenting. So I guess when the time comes, we'll just play it by ear...like every other parent since the beginning of human life.
Old 07.08.2011, 12:19 PM   #25
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Would you stand your kid to listen to Britney Spears or Justin Bieber? (instead of SY and Swans, as expected).
And what if (s)he plays it LOUD!!
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2011, 12:25 PM   #26
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I feel that I'm a great parent. WHY - because I love my kids and care about them. I spend time with them and have a vested interest in their lives. I always try to be fair and honest when talking with them, especially when they've done something wrong. I don't hesitate to let them know that I don't always have the right answer nor can I correct every problem......but they know they never have to face a problem alone. Also, having a wonderful wife at my side makes this possible / so much easier.

Our kids know that we strive to live on a budget and sometimes we can't afford "wants." At the same time, we nor the kids have to worry about the electricity being turned off or where the next meal is coming from. Living on a budget ensures these basic necessities. There are times I wish I could do much more financially for my family, but having / doing more wouldn't equal more love.

I think most people have some sort of an idea about the kind of parent they can be. At the same time, I think many don't even want to consider it because they know it means they are getting older. For many, I think growing older is a greater fear than the fear of being a parent.

Put this man in the White House
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2011, 12:28 PM   #27
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yes and yes and yes.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2011, 01:46 PM   #28
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Would you stand your kid to listen to Britney Spears or Justin Bieber? (instead of SY and Swans, as expected).
And what if (s)he plays it LOUD!!

I'd tell her (few, if any, boys would listen to Britney Spears and/or Justin Bieber) to turn it down out of consideration for others, but I wouldn't stop her from listening to it. And by the time our child/children reach music-listening-to age, that kind of music would be out of style anyway...oh wait, that wasn't supposed to be a serious question, was it? In that case:

I'D GROUND THEM FOR DARING TO HAVE DIFFERING TASTES FROM MINE! HOW DARE THEM LIKE WHAT THEY LIKE INSTEAD OF WHAT I LIKE!!

Is that better?
Old 07.08.2011, 02:12 PM   #29
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
My first job as a teen was babysitting my sisters' kids for pocket money. I'm very ''good'' with ''kids''. Wink Wink.

haha. That's what Michael Jackson said.

artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2011, 02:14 PM   #30
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I think that everyone in this thread except for Pookie would be a terrible parent.

Pookie's wife is a witch and if their kids get out of line, all it takes is a wrinkle of her nose and ****poof**** the lil' ones are turned into bats.

BATS, I tell ya.
Old 07.08.2011, 02:16 PM   #31
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

that said, I make a fantasic parent because, obviously, I am a Nth-degree warlock.
Old 07.08.2011, 02:40 PM   #32
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I'd tell her (few, if any, boys would listen to Britney Spears and/or Justin Bieber) to turn it down out of consideration for others, but I wouldn't stop her from listening to it.
Yeah. Tell your kids what to do, all they'll obey.
Raising kids is so easy..
Quote:
And by the time our child/children reach music-listening-to age, that kind of music would be out of style anyway...
No. The music industry has been producing these things for years: "I'm young, I'm happy, I consume a lot; do love me, worship me and buy my products!"
The names change when the product becomes obsolete.
Quote:
I'D GROUND THEM FOR DARING TO HAVE DIFFERING TASTES FROM MINE! HOW DARE THEM LIKE WHAT THEY LIKE INSTEAD OF WHAT I LIKE!!
Eh, sometimes that's how it works, and not just for music.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2011, 04:19 PM   #33
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I gotta find a hot surrogate mom. I think I'd be a doting father-mother. When I'm 35 and over.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2011, 04:40 AM   #34
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I gotta find a hot surrogate mom. I think I'd be a doting father-mother. When I'm 35 and over.
It must be a curse to have bad looking kids. The advantages of adopting are that you get to choose their looks and check they're healthy, thus avoiding a life spent inhospitals before you finally decide to switch off the life support machine on them. Also, if you find out that they're horrible you can return them to the orphanage or give them to another family.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2011, 05:48 AM   #35
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Not righ tnow. .I woke up on mhy bathroom floor. and I"ms till fuckd up
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2011, 07:30 AM   #36
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
I used to think I'd be the world's most excellent mother. Now I think I'd be shit. So better not.

If you had a kid, I suspect it would be a daughter who looks and acts like Wednesday from The Addams Family.

Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2011, 09:59 AM   #37
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
excellent post by Bytor and one I have tried my best to live by. I have three adult age children who are excellent and the joys of my life. One thing I have tried to be since they reached their teen years is both a parent and friend. I have trusted them and allowed them to lead their lives without a lot of interference but as Bytor said always there to help out when asked.

I have allowed them to listen to what they want and now we share similar musical tastes and they have turned me on to bands as well as I have turn them on.

I've never had any police trouble with them, they've all gone to college. My youngest still two years from graduation, my oldest going after a PHD, and my middle child a successful professional.

I have one straight child, one bi and one gay and have never treated any of them differently because the bottom line is they are still the same people that I love.

My ex-wife and I have remained friends and co-parented the last 8 years which I believe was beneficial to the kids and my own sanity.

So yes I know I can be an excellent parent and you can too if you want to be and if you don't that's fine too.
Old 07.12.2011, 10:30 AM   #38
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
If you had a kid, I suspect it would be a daughter who looks and acts like Wednesday from The Addams Family.

thought that was me?
you're many years too late, i got that back in school.

Old 07.13.2011, 10:43 AM   #39
krischanski
children of satan

krischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asses
I think I’m a good father. Because I have the brain to think it.
____
krischanski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth