Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.07.2015, 11:15 AM   #741
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Sorry, I got thrown off by Severian's 808 reference..

808's isn't a trap album either.

*confused*
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2015, 11:18 AM   #742
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
My bad, I always associated the snare and high hats from old school late 80s 808 patterns with trap.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2015, 11:35 AM   #743
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe I do "expect too much" from one of the most iconic rappers of my youth. Like, I expect him to write his own verses, and to ... I don't know.. *RAP*

Instead, we got him trying to sing. But he can't really sing, so his voice is padded by "backup singers" singing the exact same thing Snoop's singing to mask some of that painful delivery.

But how is it really a snoop album if Pharrel wrote it, and snoop isn't even carrying the primary vocal weight himself? Might as well be a [whatever the female who matched Snoop note for note on every track's name is] album.

I'll admit, there are some truly catchy choruses on the record. Some of the songs are nice little pop gems, but this is not a snoop album.

P.S. Apparently The Doggfather is considered one of the greatest hip-hop failures of all time. Now I've never really paid attention to the press surrounding that record, but I've always liked it quite a bit. One of my favorite Snoop albums in fact.
Old 05.07.2015, 11:38 AM   #744
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Doggfather is a bad azz record and made the No Limit switch such a surprise..

for me the best are:

1) Doggystyle
2) Tha Doggfather
3) Da Game is To Be Sold Not To Be Told
4) Tha Last Meal
5) Blue Carpet

Old 05.07.2015, 12:11 PM   #745
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Snoop doesn't even remember what Doggystyle sounds like. it's kinda like a different person recorded it, sadly.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2015, 12:16 PM   #746
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
current Snoop is just sad. here's a new interview with him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/ma...-his-mind.html

some highlights:
Quote:
Your albums all have different vibes. Do you wait to go into the studio until you find the right sound?
That’s what stops me from making records. Otherwise, I’d make one every year. When’s the last time I had a Snoop Dogg record out?

About four years ago.
Which was it? “Doggumentary”? “Ego Trippin’ ”? “Malice N Wonderland”? I don’t remember.

Come on. I don’t believe that.
I really don’t remember.

What about this suburban streak in hip-hop, like Iggy Azalea and Macklemore?
Rap is supposed to grow. One thing about Iggy and Macklemore: They got soul. They’re inspired by hip-hop. I don’t care how you’re gonna take it to your people and flip it and dip it and serve it.

what is this bullshit about Iggy and Macklemore having "soul"? he just called her a cunt on Instagram a few months ago..
Old 05.07.2015, 12:28 PM   #747
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I blame Snoop becoming a youth football coach for his "mellower, less shit talking, sometimes apologizing" version.

Old 05.07.2015, 12:35 PM   #748
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
My bad, I always associated the snare and high hats from old school late 80s 808 patterns with trap.

Yeah, no problem. I almost don't want to tell you want I actually meant when k said that because I'm afraid of the rancor I fully expect you to unleash when I tell you...

Oh well, here goes. *Deep breath*
I was referring to 808's & Heartbreak, the album that spawned an army of hip-hop/alt. R&B hybrids, and more or less birthed the likes of Drake, Travi$ Scott, Iamsu!, etc.

That's right... I been talkin' bout Kanye.
Old 05.07.2015, 12:37 PM   #749
louder
invito al cielo

is Rocky's album really coming out next week? i see no promo for it whatsoever. expecting another pushback..
Old 05.07.2015, 12:56 PM   #750
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
is Rocky's album really coming out next week? i see no promo for it whatsoever. expecting another pushback..

Where'd you hear this? I've got no incoming promos.. I don't even have any dates on the calendar when promos should be coming in for this one.

Is he releasing it electronically first or something?

EDIT: HitsDoubleDaily release calendar has had May12th as the release date since April 15th.

Yet, it's not available for pre-order on iTunes, and if any promos are en route, they distributors aren't saying shit about it.

It looks like there is gonna be a drop on the 12th, though. Crazy.
Old 05.07.2015, 01:35 PM   #751
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I'm not sure you're being fair, 808 had a significant comeback in the "dirty south" era which influenced a significant portion of the mid-2000s and more specifically the evolution of trap..

but hey, I'm not surprised that y'all would attribute everything in rap to Kanye

Old 05.07.2015, 05:17 PM   #752
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hey, this thread's kinda dead in the water.

Wanna know what I'm listening to?

yeah, but what tha fuck is that cover all about!?!? goddamn!! lol!

is there some hidden reference in there like Elephant?
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2015, 05:51 PM   #753
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Clearly Snoop likes cunnilingus

Old 05.07.2015, 06:20 PM   #754
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
like duh!!! I've been missing a lot of hidden goodies lately. been one of those naïve/airheaded weeks.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2015, 03:13 AM   #755
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Where'd you hear this? I've got no incoming promos.. I don't even have any dates on the calendar when promos should be coming in for this one.

Is he releasing it electronically first or something?

EDIT: HitsDoubleDaily release calendar has had May12th as the release date since April 15th.

Yet, it's not available for pre-order on iTunes, and if any promos are en route, they distributors aren't saying shit about it.

It looks like there is gonna be a drop on the 12th, though. Crazy.
OK, new single: https://youtube.com/watch?v=ir8_cjKuy_U

looks like it's really happening!
Old 05.08.2015, 03:16 AM   #756
louder
invito al cielo

the release date is June 2 now though.
Old 05.08.2015, 09:14 AM   #757
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
catching up...

ugh June 2nd yeah. Killing me. All the singles have been dope. I love that A$AP Mob is a bunch of perfectionists. But I hate it too. It means as fans we're always waiting. But then we get great shit. But I hate waiting haha.

My wife got me Trap Lord for my bday, so I've been listening to it a lot. Really grown on me. Great album. Solid 4/5. Here's my take on it:

Quote:
It was perhaps easy to think of A$AP Mob as just Rocky's hypemen, but as time goes on it becomes more apparent that each member has plenty of personality of their own. Take Ferg for example who is undeniably "the weirdo" in the group. He's loud and spits non-sequiturs with conviction. Take the single "Shabba" (featuring Rocky) for instance with its insane chorus. "Eight gold rings like I'm Shabba Ranks/Four gold chains like I'm Shabba Ranks" and so on. It's almost surreal imagery, but makes sense considering he was a visual artist first. His background as an artist also shines through with his affinity for exploring his voice as an instrument - often switching its tone along with its cadence and tempo - reminding listeners of weirdos before him like Busta Rhymes, ODB and Missy Elliott. Though much of the tone of the album is pretty singular - sparse, slowish trap-inspired beats with plenty of low-end - it never feels boring. It's really an impressive debut with no major missteps. Highlights include the "Work" remix with Rocky, Trinidad James, French Montana and Schoolboy Q; "Lord" which teams up Ferg with A$AP Mob heroes Bone Thugs-N-Harmony; or the brilliant segue from "Make A Scene" to "Fuck Out My Face," the latter track's instrumental being the former's in reverse. And yet these are mostly just awesome tracks to highlight on paper, because ultimately everything here is well thought out. It seems clear that A$AP Mob on a whole care more about quality than quantity. As such, Trap Lord is highly recommended.

I wish Ferg Forever would get a retail release. F'ing "Doe Active" is amazing haha.

@SFAD: I think you misunderstood the whole 808s thing. Sev was saying that Snoop making a "singing" album was in the line of artists that have done the same after Kanye dropped his album called 808s And Heartbreak. When that album hit in 2008 it was like "OMG why is a rapper making an album singing?" But now we've got all these dudes since (Drake ofc, etc) that have pretty much turned the "singing rapper" thing into a genre itself, which was kicked off by 808s And Heartbreak. Has nothing to do w/ trap tho.
Old 05.08.2015, 09:29 AM   #758
louder
invito al cielo

i'm late but this tape:

is absolutely fire. most of it is self produced and features some of the most innovative sounds i've heard in hip-hop lately, and on top of it all, it fucking bangs.
Old 05.08.2015, 07:42 PM   #759
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
i'm late but this tape:

is absolutely fire. most of it is self produced and features some of the most innovative sounds i've heard in hip-hop lately, and on top of it all, it fucking bangs.

Dude, I told you. Keef being dropped by intetscope might be the best thing that could have happened. He's dropped FIVE mixtapes so far (that I'm aware of) in 2015 alone, and he's is absolutely all over the fucking place. Just dropped a new one last week. He's turning into a pretty solid hip hop experimenter.

I hope he gets picked up by GOOD Music. Actually, I'm not sure why that hasn't happened yet. Seems like a pretty perfect match if you ask me.
Old 05.08.2015, 08:00 PM   #760
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm not sure you're being fair, 808 had a significant comeback in the "dirty south" era which influenced a significant portion of the mid-2000s and more specifically the evolution of trap..

but hey, I'm not surprised that y'all would attribute everything in rap to Kanye

I'm not talking about the literal use of the TR-808, which has been vogue in virtually every branch of hip-hop, on and off, since we were all in diapers.

I'm talking about the album by Kanye West that set the precedent for albums like Bush. Forget about the actual physical equipment, and listen to my typing noises: Kanye's 2008 minimalist masterpiece was not influential for its use of the Roland TR808, it was influential because it was a total left turn, and prioritized singing and melody over rapping.

The mark its left on the genre can be traced to similar projects by countless artists who have tried to embrace singing, melody, and minimalism. Drake called it the record that had the greatest influence on his own sound.

I'm not being unfair to the 808 (moneymakin'moneymoneymakin' ... Lol), its just that the actual product has nothing to do with the argument I'm making, which is that this is Snoop's version of "808's & Heartbreak".. The album.

... Throw me a bone man. Tell me you get it. It's not even a value judgment. I'm finding these songs more and more infectious. But they are about as close to The Doggfather or Doggystyle as 808's & Heartbreak was to Graduation. (Obviously nothing in Snoop's canon holds a candle to anything in Yeezy's, but that's another discussion for another day -- I hope. So bad)

353637 38 3940414888 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth