Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pitchfork: The top 500 tracks of the decade
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2009, 06:16 PM   #81
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerf
500 tracks, and not one Mars Volta song? For shame, Pitchfork...

Hahahaha!
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 08:03 PM   #82
Sonic Youth Gossip
stalker

Sonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty bunny
I think I posted in here already. But I just wanted to say kudos to Pitchfork for making this list. But I have some issues with it.

The first half of the list, the lower-down part, I recognized a lot of songs I hadn't heard in a while. So that made me smile. But the closer I got to the top half of the list, the fewer songs I'd heard.

Question: why is LCD Soundsystem and Hot Chip featured so prominently, particularly in the top half? I've barely even heard of the former, and what I've heard of the latter has left me completely unimpressed. The lads at pitchfork obviously have a yen for synth pop. And I'm not sure that Daft Punk even got a couple songs. Weird. And another thing: there's one track that's a mash-up of a Strokes song with Christina Arugala's "Genie In A Bottle" (one of the most cringe-inducing attempts at a pop song) that's ranked like #148 or something. The mind boggles.

At the end of it all though, I'm left thinking if this is the best of the singles of this decade, what a shit decade this has been.
Pitchfork loves that dancy-punk crap
Sonic Youth Gossip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 09:16 PM   #83
jerf
children of satan

jerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
3. Transplants: "Diamonds and Guns"

I love the Transplants! Too bad Haunted Cities turned out to be such crap, because that first album was so good!

jerf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 11:17 PM   #84
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I only really take a look when people post links
I don't have a problem with people admitting to reading it or looking at it every now and then. It's just the people who say "I hate Pitchfork. I don't pay attention to it at all. The ratings are stupid because they use decimal points and I don't agree with the reviews. I was reading this article and..." that annoy me.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2009, 09:28 AM   #85
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
there was far too much reliance on singles, as opposed to songs. for instance, The Streets song they chose "Weak Becomes Heroes" is a pretty sad representation of Skinner's debut...for me it's no question that lead-off track "Turn The Page" is the most brilliant thing he's ever done...the rising strings, the tempo, but esp the words. utter magic. still sends chills when i hear it.

45th generation Roman, indeed. Brace yourself, because this goes deep.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth