Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Help from the computer savvy?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2006, 01:04 AM   #1
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
I don't really like the word savvy. But anyway, I'm trying to get a new laptop for school and don't really know much about computers but know what I want to be able to do with one. I'm not really interested in gaming, but I watch a lot of films and I'm hoping it will replace my need for a TV. I also do video and music editing, and I tend to be a multi-tasker. Basically, I'm looking at the customization options on Dell, and don't really know how important certain upgrades are for what I'm looking for. Also, I'd like to keep the computer around or under $2000, and it needs to last me the next four years...

They list the Intel Core Duo Processors in 1.66 GHz all the way up to 2.16. How important is processor speed. I can't go up to 2.16 as it's way too big of a jump in money, but is it worth it to go to 1.83 or 2?

Next, how important is memory? Do I need 2 gigs for what I want to do, or is 1 gig fine?

Video and sound cards? I don't really know where to start on these...what would be ideal for what I want to do?

Anything else I should be aware of? I tried looking on google for all this stuff, but most of the information was really outdated. Is there something better than Dell...or rather cheaper? I've noticed some people on here that seem to have an interest in that sort of thing and wondered if anybody could help, as I don't know anybody else who could. It's frustrating trying to buy computers as the technology changes so fast. I really appreciate your help.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 01:06 AM   #2
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Get an Imac I heard those are good, for editind and recording.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 01:08 AM   #3
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
i think the pc all the way to left has your name on it!

http://alienware.com/product_pages/n...l_default.aspx
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 01:09 AM   #4
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Oh yeah I forgot alienware they are good too.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 01:15 AM   #5
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Well if you do a lot of Audio and Visual editing, a sound and video card would be pretty ideal.

I think a 2 Ghz Processor should do pretty well.

If you are a multi tasker you'll need a good amount of RAM. 1 gig at the least.
Old 06.23.2006, 01:19 AM   #6
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Memory will enable to do the things you do on your computer faster. The cpu and video card are also important if you want to do video and audio editing. Basically all 3 of these things are essential, but most of all the memory, then the cpu, in that order. But if you buy a branded comp. they'll try to bum you off memory by giving you a faster cpu. That's ok, as long as you upgrade your memory after the fact. Or, alternatively, just get one of these:

Old 06.23.2006, 01:20 AM   #7
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Well I don't know a whole lot about computers, but if you're doing a lot of video editting, especially doing multiple projects at a time, HD space is crucial. I'd suggest reserving around $100-$300 for an external HD if you don't have one already and not even bother trying to match the built in one for that purpose. It could take up potentially hundreds gigs of space.

Gaming is really the number one aspect that makes computers "out-of-date" so quickly. Most other stuff is relatively easy to run even on computers that are considered old. $2000 should get you plenty.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 04:48 AM   #8
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
All the things you gotta look out for can give you a headache.
If you don't know much about computers, then I would take Alyasa's advice and go for a g4 macbook or the pro version. It's got everything you need.
Good video/sound card with imovie for video editing and I think also garage band for music. You can internet, watch tv etc.
You will not regret it. Believe me.
Old 06.23.2006, 04:45 PM   #9
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
Thanks to everyone who responded-

I probably should have said that although I have a major interest in video and music editing, the main use of the computer will still be for writing and papers and everyday use and such. I've used PCs all my life, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about getting a Mac. As much as I dislike Microsoft, I've gotten used to all of the office programs, and several of my other programs only run on PC. It seems that Macs are very expensive as well for what you get--the default is only 512 memory with a small hard drive, and the 17" starts out way beyond $2000. I was considering getting the bigger screen since it will be replacing a TV, but it seems to be a big jump in price just about anywhere. I've also had the impression that Macs are great if you only want to focus on video editing, but that they aren't very good for versatility or multi-tasking?

Also, about external hard drives, are they much slower than a normal one?
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 04:47 PM   #10
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Memory will enable to do the things you do on your computer faster. The cpu and video card are also important if you want to do video and audio editing. Basically all 3 of these things are essential, but most of all the memory, then the cpu, in that order. But if you buy a branded comp. they'll try to bum you off memory by giving you a faster cpu. That's ok, as long as you upgrade your memory after the fact. Or, alternatively, just get one of these:

agreed.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 04:52 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
WARNING WARNING WARNING: ALIENWARE SUCKS.

i didn't know this before. but they make all their money in first sales-- they have zero customer returns. they build impossible machines that burn out & melt components. hot-rodding with crappy customer support = death. there are plenty of horror stories. even though i think they are were are are going to be bought by dell. not sure on the status.

also, i advice strongly against consumer laptops. business class is the only option if you want durability, reliability, and a lid that won't break in 3 months.

i love ibm thinkpads (now lenovo), they are the sturdiest most reliable machines out there. video performance however is a bit below par. so let me recommend:

get yourself a dell precision m65 if you are into video editing; goes for something like $1600 and it includes a $400 discount coupon on adobe studio standard (premiere pro, adobe audition, and other great goodies).

trust me i know my shit. this machine is perfect for what you need.

also: video editing will require external storage on a laptop, so forget paying $400 for an extra 20gb... instead, learn about building external storage with enclosures for internal drives. or buy yourself an external storage drive or array of drives when the time comes. but that you can do later.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 04:59 PM   #12
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blots
I don't really like the word savvy. But anyway, I'm trying to get a new laptop for school and don't really know much about computers but know what I want to be able to do with one. I'm not really interested in gaming, but I watch a lot of films and I'm hoping it will replace my need for a TV. I also do video and music editing, and I tend to be a multi-tasker. Basically, I'm looking at the customization options on Dell, and don't really know how important certain upgrades are for what I'm looking for. Also, I'd like to keep the computer around or under $2000, and it needs to last me the next four years...

They list the Intel Core Duo Processors in 1.66 GHz all the way up to 2.16. How important is processor speed. I can't go up to 2.16 as it's way too big of a jump in money, but is it worth it to go to 1.83 or 2?

Next, how important is memory? Do I need 2 gigs for what I want to do, or is 1 gig fine?

Video and sound cards? I don't really know where to start on these...what would be ideal for what I want to do?

Anything else I should be aware of? I tried looking on google for all this stuff, but most of the information was really outdated. Is there something better than Dell...or rather cheaper? I've noticed some people on here that seem to have an interest in that sort of thing and wondered if anybody could help, as I don't know anybody else who could. It's frustrating trying to buy computers as the technology changes so fast. I really appreciate your help.

interesting i needs to buy a laptop myself soon and was gonna start a thread on this very subject. i was thinking of a mac.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 05:06 PM   #13
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
IBM
Old 06.23.2006, 05:20 PM   #14
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blots
Also, about external hard drives, are they much slower than a normal one?

They are not slower if you have one connected through firewire (IEEE 1394).
That's only really needed when you work with heavy file tranfers like film.

I use Lacie external hd's and I find them the best. Very stable and your files won't easily be corrupted. You can get them with up to 2GB storage capacity, but are quite expensive.
They can be used on macs, pc's and linux.
for more info check: http://www.lacie.com
Old 06.23.2006, 05:23 PM   #15
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
They are not slower if you have one connected through firewire (IEEE 1394).
That's only really needed when you work with heavy file tranfers like film.

I use Lacie external hd's and I find them the best. Very stable and your files won't easly be corrupted. You can get them with up to 2GB storage capacity, but are quite expensive.

for more info check: http://www.lacie.com

i think you mean 2TB (terabytes?).
Old 06.23.2006, 05:25 PM   #16
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I have a Compaq Desktop and Laptop. I got them used and rebuild them for about $400 a piece which is not bad considering that the desktop was about $1600 to begin with and the laptop was $2200.

I highly reccomend getting an IBM, though. ESPECIALLY if your master has anything to do with computers. Are you going to be using Windows or Linux?
Old 06.23.2006, 05:28 PM   #17
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think you mean 2TB (terabytes?).

Yep. Sorry my mistake. Just smoked a jay and i'm a little slow tonight.
How ya doing by the way !@#$%!?
Old 06.23.2006, 05:28 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yo hayden, IBM is the best generally speaking, but for video editing you need better graphics, the m65 is the current sweet spot in price/performance for video heavy apps on laptops, and has a quadro video card. not too shabby. and yes it's a dell but it's a business class dell which means it's a lot better than the crap they sell to suckers at best buy.
Old 06.23.2006, 05:28 PM   #19
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Haha. I was thinking the same thing. They make 2GB jump drives.
Old 06.23.2006, 05:29 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Yep. Sorry my mistake. Just smoked a jay and i'm a little slow tonight.

you lucky bastard. in holland. no paranoias...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth