Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Political Speech
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.10.2008, 04:55 AM   #21
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i don't pay attention to u2 (or really anything that covers u2) so i have no idea what he really talks about or does.

talks shit, does shit.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2008, 08:42 AM   #22
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
when rock stars support the structure of the State it infuriates me
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2008, 09:24 AM   #23
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
That's rather condescendingly unfair to assume.

not trying to generalize, at all.
just talking about a little group of people who takes the artists speech as hundred percent truth and indisputable.
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2008, 11:07 AM   #24
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Jim Morrison got arrested for voicing his opinions on stage.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2008, 03:17 PM   #25
deadrockstar
little trouble girl

deadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
the first two times i saw sonic youth (the very last US show of the nurse tour...ATL ga) and then the first show they played when returing back to the US...voodoo fest in NO....they clearly were trying to get people to vote, as well as "indirectly" speaking out against bush.

nurse tour in glasgow we got Kool Thing as the last encore and when it came to the monologue in the middle Kim asked us what we were going to do about George Bush. you know, we were all thinking, "not a damn lot from Scotland, last time we checked we didn't have a vote in the US". then she went on a short improvised-type dig at bush in an extension of said monolgue. so, i've seen the Youth do it. and didn't they organise and perform at a benefit concert in their early career for some anarchist terrorists?

i don't like it out of the context of the 'art' a la Bono. preaching to 50,000 kids in Argentina about the 'troubles back home' - talk about abusing your power. and a couple pussy-footing songs about the whole Northern Ireland issue doesn't really qualify you to spout about it non-stop. in fact, those couple songs don't even take a political stance of any sort, just airbrush over the whole thing with stupid sweeping generalisations. but hey, who are to agrue with him? maybe he really is god!!

but something like gang of four i really like - if you don't agree with their politics you can't listen to their music. you couldn't accuse them of using their art as a soapbox because, well.... it already is, that's the point.

i know people would disagree on the Bono thing, but if the best they can come up with is Sunday, Bloody Sunday

although in all fairness, i don't think anyone goes to a Sonic Youth gig expecting any less - the shock is that they don't do it more often because their politics are ingrained in their art, allbeit in a very abstract and non-partisan way.
deadrockstar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2008, 05:30 AM   #26
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I've not yet been to a show where the artists express their views, but I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem with it, to an extent.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth