Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page yr thoughts about soloproject Thurston
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.14.2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Mildred Pierce
little trouble girl

Mildred Pierce ain't too shabby
I would like to know what the SY gossip people think of the Thurston Moore solo project?
I just visited his site and you can see some of his new songs on video there acoustic.
tell me what is the difference between his own music and the music of SY

http://www.myspace.com/judyandthecrackheads
Mildred Pierce is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2007, 03:15 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
he sucks, but for some reason the song "psychic hearts" is one of my favorite songs ever. the rest of the album isn't very good but.. it's just.. i dunno. that song's so simple but there's something about it.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Macaulay Culkin
little trouble girl

Macaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's assesMacaulay Culkin kicks all y'all's asses
I love the Psychic Hearts album.
I can't wait to see what the new one will be like to.
I think it's great, it's a bit more out there than some of the later SY albums.

Thurston's just not ready to grow up and I love it.

junkieNOISEjunkie
Macaulay Culkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2007, 06:54 PM   #4
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
(sometimes I feel) he's like a headstone of sy music and lyrics (comming up with most of riffs and ideas), but that's still not SY unless other members put their hands on it. obviously he's not only one with ideas, but...still.

thing is that he's evolving and moving in music constantly with he's age and produce what he produce, whether you like it or not. I do like his momentary creations very much. I like his Psychic Hearts but his latest production is more then "3 riff" song to me. He evolved as a musician much more since.

hmmm, what's the difference then? not that big actually. he's the man. it's like he's on right side of the stage playing. then, Steve is playing on his solo as well, so here you go, another sy feel to it.

yeah, I'd really like to hear new solo from Lee. if he'd do some of his ambient guitar work (and speaking word), or he would suprise with something else. I like Lee as a musician (artist) very much, so his contributions as a member of sy.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2007, 07:04 PM   #5
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
some is good and some isn't. i actually like a good bit of thurston's solo noise projects and i try to emulate his (un)playing in my saxophone playing sometimes.

doesn't lee have a singer/songwriter album coming out this year?

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2007, 07:12 PM   #6
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
he should (singer/songwriter?? i wish). as a part of Three Lobed recordings '08 releases. I don't know if this will be he's proper solo album like, but it should be he's latest work allright (or not?).
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2007, 08:12 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
indiana, represent

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2007, 06:28 AM   #8
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
psychic hearts is excellent but dont class it as a sy album
the new one, trees outside the academy is in my top 5 releases of this yeayr. i love it. dont class thursts solo work with sy work, its not the same. its a different thing although you could argue that the songs are the ones tha didnt make it into the group. i dont really get the point of this thread, maybe ive missed it totally.....

i love thursts solo work,, so there
Old 07.16.2007, 03:47 AM   #9
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
judged purely on what I hear on the you tube promo vid I can't wait for this album, it sounds absolutely beautifully incredible.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 03:54 AM   #10
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
I've just downloaded a Thurston's new album. It's pretty fine, but i'm thinking of it much like an EP. As with Psychic Hearts, has really good songs on it, but something's missing... and i don't know what?!? For sure Thurston@13 could have been a hidden song and Free Noise Among Friends could have been an intro for one song. Now, I think that TIME is the only thing missing from this album. I think it's a little bit "rushed-out" (i don't know how to say it in English). With a little bit more work over it and some extra-songs, it would have been the best record of 2007 (and for sure, better than Rather Ripped).
... And that are my thoughts about it

PS. Does anybody know, American Coffin was written for this album or it's a DDN left-over? The piano sounds like Providence, and the hiss....
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 03:55 AM   #11
sarramkrop

I've listened to Frozen Guitar and it sucked. Does the rest of the album sound like that?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 04:20 AM   #12
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i am more excited about the solo projects than i am about sonic youth releases at the moment.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 06:24 AM   #13
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I've listened to Frozen Guitar and it sucked. Does the rest of the album sound like that?

I'm affraid yes.
Old 07.16.2007, 06:36 AM   #14
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm quite excited about any new Thurston material, and even more so any Lee. I'm really looking forward to hearing Trees... when it hits the shops in September.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 06:49 AM   #15
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I gave into taking a hour out to search for the leak yesterday - I couldn't wait any longer. I totally agree that I think thurston is a headstone (whatever that means) but unlike psychic hearts I think Trees is something that I would have bought and listened to even if i didn't know about sonic youth. There's actually very little to dislike about it for me (the only thing I can think of is whoever the chick is singing on the third track who sounds like shes from arcade fire.) I'm not conducting my thoughts as I'm thinking about stuff i have to do today, but yeah, this is a really great album. If you don't think so you probably are a little dumb.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 06:55 AM   #16
sarramkrop

Funny you mention Arcade Fire, because the one song that I listened to reminded me of them.

Edit - auto-aim
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 07:23 AM   #17
Mildred Pierce
little trouble girl

Mildred Pierce ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
(sometimes I feel) he's like a headstone of sy music and lyrics (comming up with most of riffs and ideas), but that's still not SY unless other members put their hands on it. obviously he's not only one with ideas, but...still.

thing is that he's evolving and moving in music constantly with he's age and produce what he produce, whether you like it or not. I do like his momentary creations very much. I like his Psychic Hearts but his latest production is more then "3 riff" song to me. He evolved as a musician much more since.

hmmm, what's the difference then? not that big actually. he's the man. it's like he's on right side of the stage playing. then, Steve is playing on his solo as well, so here you go, another sy feel to it.

yeah, I'd really like to hear new solo from Lee. if he'd do some of his ambient guitar work (and speaking word), or he would suprise with something else. I like Lee as a musician (artist) very much, so his contributions as a member of sy.

Steve Shelley drums on thurston's solo project sometimes, and by the way Steve is more into roots blues. maybe he will make a solo thing as well who knows, i mean with other blues musicians, would be great though. i am really into Leadbelly and Robert Johnson

http://www.myspace.com/judyandthecrackheads
Mildred Pierce is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 09:57 AM   #18
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
the album wasnt great by no means (even though it was far better than psychic hearts), but to say the rest of the album sounds like frozen guittar almost leads me to believe ya havent heard it.

it takes several different directions.

maybe you are just refferring to the live material that was torrented before the album leak? if so, i can see what yr getting at.

The songs have almost the same structures. If you don't like acoustic driven Frozen Gtr you may not like The Shape / Honest James / Silver> Blue / Friend / Off Work / Never Light and maybe Trees Outside... so, it's about 75% or more of the album . In Frozen Gtr you can find also the characteristic noise present on the noisy parts of the album.... so if you don't like it... you might don't like the whole thing.
Old 07.16.2007, 09:59 AM   #19
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-aim
I gave into taking a hour out to search for the leak yesterday - I couldn't wait any longer. I totally agree that I think thurston is a headstone (whatever that means) but unlike psychic hearts I think Trees is something that I would have bought and listened to even if i didn't know about sonic youth. There's actually very little to dislike about it for me (the only thing I can think of is whoever the chick is singing on the third track who sounds like shes from arcade fire.) I'm not conducting my thoughts as I'm thinking about stuff i have to do today, but yeah, this is a really great album. If you don't think so you probably are a little dumb.

As far as i know the girl from Honest James it's Christina Carter
Old 07.16.2007, 06:01 PM   #20
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei
As far as i know the girl from Honest James it's Christina Carter

When I read that name back I read "Charisma Carpenter" , but yeah it's not a big deal for me but it's the only thing that stood out a little peculiar. I'd feel a little hypocritical saying bad because of me liking some of the vocalists that I do. it took a little getting used to. I don't know if a few people expect too much from Trees Outside the Academy. It is what it is, but that's seperate, it doen't interfere my thinking that I probably wont listen to anything else this good that'll be released this year. (Though I should start a new thread for some people to prove me wrong on that.) I'd agree with whoever who said that structurally the songs don't change a whole lot - but I'd also say there's more enough there to break it up (- such as stuff like that piano piece and the title track thats reminicant of rain on tin and wonderful witches which sounds more like a psychic hearts thing.)
This album definatly stands up better alone than psychic hearts does and I do think that's a killer album also.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth