Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page All Tomorrow's Parties Film
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.02.2009, 04:07 AM   #41
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
20tht. of June. yahoo! big screen before DVD? deadly!

*edit*
ticket booked!!!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2009, 02:20 PM   #42
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Reviews from Seattle ATP Film screenings
Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities
In the last week All Tomorrow’s Parties was screened at both the 2009 Seattle International Film Festival and the 2009 Barcelona Primavera Sound Music Festival. Thanks to everyone that came to all of the screenings! Here are a few choice quotes from Seattle reviewers:

“An intoxicating paean to good times and great music.” - Hotsplice

5/5, “At times hilarious while at other times it’s just plain magical…a must see for any indie rock fan and an instant purchase if the British music [included] is your cup of tea.” - Randomville

“A remarkable tribute to one of music’s stranger and more enlightened ideas.” - The Stranger, Seattle

“The energy and vibe of it all is hard to explain…[it's] the closest you’ll get until the next festival.” - KEXP, Seattle

“A veritable indie who’s who.” - Seattlest
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 06:31 AM   #43
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Future Cinema & Warp X announce unique
All Tomorrow’s Parties concert to follow UK Film Premiere at Edinburgh International Film Festival

Future Cinema and Warp X, in association with ATP, have released tickets to ‘The Night of Musical Delights’, a spectacular concert that will follow the UK Premiere screening of ALL TOMORROW’S PARTIES at the Edinburgh International Film Festival on June 24th.
The concert is part of a unique live cinema event presented by Future Cinema – the creative force behind Secret Cinema - which will see the Edinburgh Picturehouse transformed into a 1950s Holiday Camp for the screening. Audiences will see and hear the film brought to life through a fusion of music and performance, complete with midnight bingo, Northern Soul dancers and lovely legs competitions.
The concert will feature live music and DJ’s including Belle and Sebastian's Chris Geddes, and culminate in a very special headline set from a top-secret Scottish act.
ALL TOMORROW’S PARTIES is a kaleidoscopic journey into the parallel musical universe of the cult music festival of the same name. The film is a semi-found multi media bricolage shot by over two hundred filmmakers, fans and musicians over the festival’s recent history, with key contributions from co-director Jonathan Caouette (Tarnation) and cinematographer Vincent Moon (The Take Away Shows, Arcade Fire). The film is co-developed and financed by the Warp X partners, Film4, UKFC, EM Media and Screen Yorkshire.

Tickets to ‘The Night of Musical Delights’ are on sale now. More information is available at www.futurecinema.co.uk
Combined tickets to the screening & concert are also on sale and can be purchased through the Edinburgh International Film Festival Box Office. http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk
Following its Edinburgh premiere, there will be a series of special events across the UK in September to tie-in with the September 21st DVD release of ALL TOMORROW’S PARTIES.

Visit the website for screening info, trailers and more: www.ourtrueintentisallforyourdelight.com
Old 06.18.2009, 12:20 AM   #44
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.state.ie:80/atp-the-film-...-and-giveaway/

ATP: The Film feature and giveaway

The allure of the smaller festival is obvious. Most punters with a genuine interest in music and community opt for more the intimate and less corporate event, time and again, as the perfect antidote to the thousands-heavy throngs that pervade the faceless big business models of the larger festivals. It goes without saying then that these punters are more than happy to revel in a festival experience that involves a few local favourites and the best of the new batch on the go too. It is unusual for the smaller events to host international line-ups of influential musical stalwarts, but that’s okay.
One festival bucks that trend, however, and has been doing so for 10 years now. Originally inspired by the Bowlie Weekender with Belle and Sebastian in 1999, All Tomorrow’s Parties [1] has turned into something of a global phenomenon, in a sort of underground/for-those-in-the-know sort of way, and manages to present some of the biggest names from music past and present, always in an intimate location. All Tomorrow’s Parties is an experience like no other, and that experience has now made it on to the silver screen with ATP: The Film which is set to be screened in the IFI’s upcoming Stranger Than Fiction Documentary Festival. [2] State spoke to festival founder Barry Hogan.
How did you realise that a small festival with such stellar line-ups was ever going to be feasible and did it take a long time to start making a profit on your original input?
The idea for ATP was to create an alternative to the bigger festivals such as Glastonbury, Reading and V Festival, which started the same year as ATP. I was frustrated with going to some of these festivals where only 3-4 bands were worth seeing and waiting around in a field with 50,000 other people to watch a band look far away and the sound disappear when the wind changed.
I designed ATP to be an event that I wanted to go to. I never set it up to become a money-making machine and we avoided sponsorship so we could keep integrity in the event and remain true to its goal of providing a great platform for old and new quality music, without selling our souls to the devil. That’s where most festivals go wrong. It stops becoming about the music and more about how much money people can make. But I do laugh when I see people like Vince Power advertising Hop Farm and trying to boast how much integrity he has, that he has no corporate branding and no sponsorship. They even advertise no sponsorship on their posters! We have been doing that for 10 years but it’s not like we are hoping we get an award for it.
ATP does make money from shows but like all promoters, we lose money too: it’s a gambling business, that’s for sure, but whatever money we make, we put it all back into the events and try and make each one better than the last. Our goal is to present each event like it’s our last one, so we give more than 100% to make the experience something fans will remember with fond memories. I think this has paid off because we have a very loyal crowd who have kept the ATP flame alight for 10 years.
ATP started off in Camber Sands and now events are taking place on a global scale: is this how you always envisioned it?
Yeah, I always thought that when we did the Bowlie Weekender (the pre-ATP event) we would take it around the world and tour it like a Lollapalooza style event by presenting bands such as Tortoise, Aphex Twin or Shellac. It never ever got like that but we are slowly setting up events in some amazing places, like the Catskills in New York and Mount Buller in Victoria, Australia. Both are unique settings that make each of these events an adventure.
Are there any plans for more international locations for the festival?
Not as yet, but if we could stage one in Japan, I think that would be the icing on the cake. We have looked at places out there but until the right spot appears, I think its best to wait.
State was at The Breeders’ ATP last month. Was it a thrill to hear Kim Deal thanking you for such a great experience and saying you are likely the only music promoter in the world who hears those words regularly? It’s obviously a great testament to the nature of the festival and how it operates.

That was so nice to hear and we have had people say some super kind words about us, but we treat bands with respect and I think that artists appreciate that. That’s the difference with ATP: we invite bands to stay all weekend and enjoy the event for three days, and compare that to something like T In The Park where say, you are someone like Lily Allen – you might have your dressing room for two hours and once your show is done, you have to leave so Primal Scream can take it over before they go on. We want all the artists to walk away with positive thoughts about the event, not to feel like they have been herded around like cattle.

How close has ATP come to creating the perfect line-up, in your eyes?
It’s hard to say which one is the perfect one, as they are all different interpretations of people’s musical tastes so it’s like comparing apples and oranges. My favourite event was probably The Dirty Three: the music that was presented that weekend was mind blowing and we had everything from Grinderman’s first ever show to Roscoe Mitchell of the Art Ensemble of Chicago to Low, and it was crazy, running from one stage to the next to try and catch stuff. I think this Christmas, when My Bloody Valentine curate, is already starting to look very special. Where else would you get to see Sun Ra, EPMD, MBV and Sonic Youth all on one bill?
ATP: The Film is being shown as part of the IFI Stranger Than Fiction Documentary Festival in Dublin. How did the film come about?
Both ourselves and Warp Films felt ATP deserved to be documented. The idea came about in the early days of Warp Films’ existence, and it seemed a good fit – ATP and Warp have a similar independent artist-driven ethos. Luke Morris, the producer of the movie, asked Jonathan Caouette, who had made Tarnation a year or so earlier, to come on board and they developed this idea of using found and contributed fan and musicial footage to create a collage that would try to represent the spirit of the festival. Thurston Moore called All Tomorrow’s Parties the ultimate mix tape and we wanted Warp to convey that idea on film.
Was it long in the making?
Yes, it was a long process that was filmed from the very beginning, which has footage from the Bowlie Weekender event in 1999 to the Slint event in 2005, but Jonathan Cahouette began his shooting in 2006 and we ended up with about 600 hours of footage, with submissions and contributions from over 200 people. Although we only used footage from less than half of them in the final film, we still credited everyone on the end of the film. These are the All Tomorrow’s People.
It only has a select few screenings lined up thus far: are there plans to take it to many other film festivals etc.?
Yes, there are screenings lined up the Edinburgh Film Festival, The Los Angeles Film Festival and Melbourne, as well as a host of others. The reaction so far has been so positive and it’s refreshing to hear from ATP regulars that the makers of this film have captured the spirit of the festival perfectly in this movie and it has all been pulled together by Luke Morris who was the driving force in making this film what it is.
ATP: The Film is showing as part of the Stranger Than Fiction documentary film festival at the IFI, Dublin, on Saturday, June 20 at 9pm. See www.irishfilm.ie for more details. State has two pairs of tickets to giveaway, however. To win just email your name to giveaway@state.ie by 2pm on Friday.
Old 06.18.2009, 10:39 AM   #45
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
maybe this has already been asked and/or answered, but i'm in a hurry, but what year ATP is this footage from? specifically where was SY's footage taken from? thanks.

i think it's from after i stopped documenting the festival. i requested that none of my footage be used in the film. i can't remember what year i stopped documenting though.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2009, 12:48 AM   #46
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
so I've seen it yesterday. good, very good...especially on big screen. it's nicely put together, same music-wise. there's reference (footage) from Bultins back in 50ties with cut to Bultins now throughout the whole movie. it's funny and some great comments. just reminded me how good this festival is.

uhmm, there's only maybe 2 min. long footage of SY and it's from when Thurston was curating, so 2006. it's the one when they're in dressing room and trying figure out how to play 100% and after few seconds of Drunken Butterfly. there's also footage from The Year Punk Broke part where Thurston asking them kids about rock industry. I think that's pretty much it of SY footage.

Old 06.21.2009, 12:55 AM   #47
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
i think it's from after i stopped documenting the festival. i requested that none of my footage be used in the film. i can't remember what year i stopped documenting though.

why? are you going make one as well ?

Old 06.21.2009, 06:38 AM   #48
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
uhmm, there's only maybe 2 min. long footage of SY and it's from when Thurston was curating, so 2006. it's the one when they're in dressing room and trying figure out how to play 100% and after few seconds of Drunken Butterfly. there's also footage from The Year Punk Broke part where Thurston asking them kids about rock industry. I think that's pretty much it of SY footage.

Ha, the trailer is completely misleading then, because it shows a lot of quick shots of SY at ATP 2004.
http://ourtrueintent.com/?p=122

I know for certain the SY footage in the trailer is from ATP 2004 because of Thurston wearing an orange Destroy all Monsters t-shirt. Here's a picture I took at that show:

I guess that's Habibs footage that wasn't allowed to be included then? I'd sue them, Chris.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2009, 07:52 AM   #49
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Ha, the trailer is completely misleading then, because it shows a lot of quick shots of SY at ATP 2004.
http://ourtrueintent.com/?p=122

I know for certain the SY footage in the trailer is from ATP 2004 because of Thurston wearing an orange Destroy all Monsters t-shirt. Here's a picture I took at that show:

I guess that's Habibs footage that wasn't allowed to be included then? I'd sue them, Chris.

yeah, this shot is there, but it's only for a split of second, also one more from '04, when Thurston is "attacking" cameraman(?) with his guitar, couple seconds shot again and I think there's more Thurston action from the BYOP encore at '06. few sec. again. I'd need to see it again actually...I guess in Sept.

Old 06.21.2009, 08:06 AM   #50
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston's attacking a fan who made his way onto stage. It was
hilarious.
Old 06.21.2009, 08:28 AM   #51
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
yeah, this shot is there, but it's only for a split of second, also one more from '04, when Thurston is "attacking" cameraman(?) with his guitar, couple seconds shot again and I think there's more Thurston action from the BYOP encore at '06. few sec. again. I'd need to see it again actually...I guess in Sept.

That's not a still from the trailer, but a picture I took at ATP 2004. But there are shots from that same show in the trailer, including one where Thurston gets jumped on by a fan.

I don't think SY's shows were filmed at ATP 2006, at least not the one I saw (second set). That backstage bit where they practice 100% was filmed by someone from Gang of Four if I remember correctly.
I remember seeing a (crappy low quality webcast)video of J'accuse Ted Hughes once too (ATP 2001?). Pity that's not in there either... maybe because it's filmed by Habib too?
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2009, 12:57 PM   #52
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
That's not a still from the trailer, but a picture I took at ATP 2004. But there are shots from that same show in the trailer, including one where Thurston gets jumped on by a fan.

I don't think SY's shows were filmed at ATP 2006, at least not the one I saw (second set). That backstage bit where they practice 100% was filmed by someone from Gang of Four if I remember correctly.
I remember seeing a (crappy low quality webcast)video of J'accuse Ted Hughes once too (ATP 2001?). Pity that's not in there either... maybe because it's filmed by Habib too?

audience video recording of '06 exist. and in very good video and audio quality actually... for an audience recording. i'm not sure which one of them 2 nights were filmed.

now I'm confused with '04 footage. I rather leave like that. it's not much of it anyway. few secs. but let me know after you'll see it.

Old 06.30.2009, 12:05 AM   #53
Moshe
Super Moderator

All Tomorrow’s Parties to play at 2009 New Zealand Film Festival

Posted in Screenings on June 26th, 2009 by admin – Be the first to comment

All Tomorrow’s Parties is now confirmed to play at the 2009 New Zealand Film Festival. It will play at two stages of the country-wide event:
Wellington:
Wednesday 29-Jul-09 10:30 p.m. PARAMOUNT
Thursday 30-Jul-09 10:30 p.m. PARAMOUNT
Sunday 2-Aug-09 4:15 p.m. PARAMOUNT
Information and tickets for Wellington screenings at this link.
Auckland:
Wednesday 22-Jul-09 3:15 p.m. SKYCITY
Friday 24-Jul-09 10:15 p.m. Queen St
Saturday 25-Jul-09 7:30 p.m. SKYCITY
Information and tickets for Auckland screenings at this link.
Old 09.22.2009, 12:50 PM   #54
Moshe
Super Moderator

Warp Films and ATP have programmed a unique UK cinematic/live tour of the documentary ALL TOMORROW’S PARTIES screening together with a live concert from Brooklyn based art-rockers Les Savy Fav plus a DJ set by ATP founder Barry Hogan, from 23 October 2009, prior to the DVD release on 2 November 2009.

Condensing 800 hours of footage from 200 contributors including fans and musicians that have attended recent festivals, All Tomorrow's Parties is the result of a project to document the legendary cult music festival from it’s beginnings. W
ith key contributions from co-director Jonathan Caouette (Tarnation) and cinematographer Vincent Moon (The Take Away Shows, Arcade Fire) and featuring amongst others: Belle And Sebastian, Grizzly Bear, Sonic Youth, Battles, Portishead, Daniel Johnston, Grinderman, David Cross, Animal Collective, The Boredoms, Mogwai, Slint, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Gossip, GZA, Seasick Steve, Iggy and the Stooges, F**k Buttons, Shellac, Patti Smith John Cooper Clark and Nurse With wound.

The film’s been described as “a rousing, kaleidoscopic celebration of the seaside indie-rock festival” (Time Out), and together with Les Savy Fav’s jaw dropping stage antics, audiences will experience what happens when experimental film and music collide in these one off special events. The ‘one night only’ theatrical tour, with Les Savy Fav, will visit Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds and London from Oct 23 – 28, with special events also taking place in Brighton, Bristol and Hull.

UK LIVE/THEATRICAL TOUR:

Fri Oct 23 – Manchester Deaf Institute
Sat Oct 24 – Glasgow ABC 2
Mon Oct 26 – London Forum
Tue Oct 27 – Leeds TJ’s Woodhouse Club

For more info and for tickets visit:
http://www.ourtrueintent.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-QV10TDphQ
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ATPFilm
Old 09.22.2009, 01:57 PM   #55
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
i m seeing it tomorrow.

cool.

Old 09.23.2009, 02:12 AM   #56
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
seen it last weekend. really enjoyed it.
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2009, 06:11 PM   #57
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvdWee
seen it last weekend. really enjoyed it.

awesome, i'm jealous
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2009, 07:52 AM   #58
Moshe
Super Moderator

The DVD is out today.

http://ourtrueintent.com/?page_id=9

Old 11.09.2009, 09:41 AM   #59
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
so what sy songs are in the film? anybody know at least how many songs they play in it?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2009, 11:49 AM   #60
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
so what sy songs are in the film? anybody know at least how many songs they play in it?

there's just few shots. not really song in its entirely. few shots from Drunken Butterfly and some shots from ATP '04 I think.

I've ordered my copy. it's worth it.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth