Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page favorite boxsets
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.07.2009, 12:07 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i like boxsets. they make good christmas presents because i am too poor to buy them. my five favorites these days are:

1. albert ayler-holy ghost box (seriously, this thing is crazy. besides the 8 discs of incredible barely or never heard before ayler tunes from when he was just having fun playing in the navy to being the king of free jazz squeal, theres tons and tons of amazing stuff to read. pictures of ayler when he was young. of and that flower thing, does anyone even know what that is? id like to think its a rare hallucinogen ayler used to communicate with the gods through his sax. anyways, this box is the best testament to the genius of albert ayler. i like the quote he has, "trane was the father, pharoah was the spirit, i was the holy ghost".)

2. captain beefheart-grow fins rarities (a bajillion songs of rare as hell van vliet, nuff said)

3. stooges-fun house box (like 6 hours of fun house, nuff said)

4. miles davis-on the corner (on the corner is tied for my fave miles album of all time along with "nerfetitti". out all all his electric albums, he got it down with this best. even more so than the perhaps more praises "bitches brew", its like crazed free funk with crazy splices of noises and freakouts. the most psychedelic album he ever made, and if you ask me, there aren't many better records to lay back with and just smoke yourself to oblivion. and this boxset compliments that notion wonderfully. 6 discs of miles and mclaughlin and crew going to war with funk and re-establishing miles as one of the most unique and innovative jazz composers in history. and the artwork fucking rules.

5. kinks-picture book boxset (my mom rules this christmas when she got me this. it literally every song the kinks recorded and then some. ive always been a kinks fan, but if you listen to every disc in thi box song for song you see that the kinks almost NEVER made a bad song. even the songs that sound like they were recorded in a dumpster shine through with songwriting that was never mathed in this genre again. ray davies is a musical genius, and i dont feel thats an understatement. i listened to this entire set in one day before, and its remarkable to hear the band evolve from the anthemic, crunchy-chord proto-garage of thier early career to a band recording records like "the village green preservation society" and epic rock and roll masterpieces like "shangri-la", to this day one of the greatest melodies ever written, the kinks' "gimme shelter" if you will.)

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 02:36 PM   #2
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
the wipers box set
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a big fan of...

Stereolab - Oscillons from the Anti-Sun

Janis Joplin - Box of Pearls

Velvet Underground - Peel Slowly and See

Fleetwood Mac - Madison Blues
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 03:43 PM   #4
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
The Fall Peel Sessions
Joy Division - Heart and Soul

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 06:43 PM   #5
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Merzbox!

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 06:46 PM   #6
al shabbray

^^^
I would like to own one, just for the pure madness of it. and the shirt, and the personal thing from the merz-man
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 06:47 PM   #7
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
my favorite box sets that i own.

ya ho wa 13 - God and Hair
v/a - by the fruits you shall know the roots
v/a - killing capitalism w/ kindness
v/a - all three Stax/Volt box sets
coil - the ape of naples
melvins - (a) senile animal
v/a - harmony of the spheres
coltrane - complete atlantic sessions and complete village vanguard
omit - quad

i wish i had some of the amazingly beautiful sets that Mosaic has issued.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Flying Nun 25th Anniversary
Laughing Clowns - Cruel, But Fair: the Complete Clowns Recordings
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 07:02 PM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Fall - Peel Sessions
Phil Spector - Back to Mono (1958-1969)
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Live 1975-85
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
The Devil's Jukebox - v/a

Beating The Retreat - Test Dept

PUNK - v/a (box set wth a huge, coffee table sized book of the same name)

Joy Division - Still

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 09:17 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
merzbox.

"Grow Fins" box kinda sucks aside from the book and the trout mask instrumental demos, it could've been a lot better... put all of "Brown star sessions", some more strictly personal demos, some ice cream for crow demos, some more unreleased songs aside from "odd jobs" (which I have a better recording of that's not even on that box), the original bat chain puller album... then it would've been a 10/10 album. The live stuff also sounds like shit; there are way better bootlegs out there. Also, disc 3 with all the video footage was a waste. They could've done WAY better with it, I hate to say.. the captain deserves better!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 11:53 PM   #12
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
"hitsville usa"
beat happening
the wipers
i just got it, but "girl group sounds" is already on my top list
"20 years of dischord"
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2009, 01:28 AM   #13
Thor Anders Aase
little trouble girl

Thor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's asses
fall-peel
Old 03.08.2009, 04:38 AM   #14
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
madvillain box set. fucking superb.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth