Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic 2017
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.25.2017, 02:12 PM   #61
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses

“Spectre Folk’s latest Vol. 4 evokes history and journeys, both in leader / main songwriter Pete Nolan’s travelogues of places and experiences around the world, and in the band’s reverential nods to musical history / tips of the hat to psych-swirlers of the past. Their first full length since 2012’s Ancient Storm, Vol. 4 heaps more generous servings of layered, lavalamp-drip guitars, lethargic riffery and choogling sunstare moments both epic and subtle. Nolan, now relocated to South Carolina these days, still directs his song energy through and with a band of prime players: Aaron Mullan (Tall Firs / Hallogallo), Mark Ibold (Pavement / Dustdevils), Peter Meehan (Lucky Peach zine) and Steve Shelley (Sonic Youth), who despite geographic distance still churn out a cohesive and gorgeous collection of inventive and expansive sounds.

“Begin the Mothership” creeps in with drifty vibe and imagery of the 13th Floor Elevators’ guitarist Tommy Hall in his trough days praying to a Mickey Mouse poster on acid in San Francisco, slowly giving way to an avalanche of cosmic guitars, while “Golden Gooj” revamps a more barren tune from an old Spectre CDR release into a watery raftride down a slow river with Michael Rother’s flanged electric guitar leading the way. The easier-going moments of Spectre Folk circa-2017 offer among the most colorful and rich highlights of this new outing. “Bremsstrahlung” evokes some delicate David Crosby guitar work adrift on a bed of hazy sunset drone, while Shelley’s propulsive drums lead the way through the heavier burners of the record, “Action Ray” and “We’re So Tired,” the latter a frantic melange of Here Comes The Warm Jets-style humidity and wah wah splatter. A sonic celebration of good wine, sunlight, wanderlust, and players whose kinship and shared vocabulary move this latest spectral event into the zone of bliss.” —Brian Turner, WFMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jwl_UMxZs

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2017, 03:35 PM   #62
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
[...] while Shelley’s propulsive drums lead the way through the heavier burners of the record, “Action Ray” and “We’re So Tired,” the latter a frantic melange of Here Comes The Warm Jets-style humidity and wah wah splatter. [...]

One of the absolutely greatest albums in the history of the UNIVERSE. I get shivers just thinking about it.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2017, 05:00 AM   #63
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Steve is playing on these releases:

Kim Rancourt – Plum Plum

Spectre Folk – Vol. 4

Emma Tricca

Cinnamon Tapes – debut record by Brazilian singer/songwriter Susan Souza produced by Steve and featuring Paulo Kishimoto and Emil Amos.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2017, 12:49 AM   #64
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Lee Ranaldo - Almost Live Session (Joyful Noise Recordings) 7"

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2017, 01:07 PM   #65
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
Lee Ranaldo - Almost Live Session (Joyful Noise Recordings) 7"

Sounds enticing! What's the 411 on this one? The Joyful Noise site doesn't feature it yet.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.co...?q=lee+ranaldo

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 06.09.2017, 04:30 PM   #66
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Sounds enticing! What's the 411 on this one? The Joyful Noise site doesn't feature it yet.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.co...?q=lee+ranaldo

"Lee arrived to our office around 3pm. After checking out the rooftop situation, he decided he would prefer to record indoors in our cavernous, converted power-plant of an office. I had never met Lee Ranaldo in person, though we had corresponded over email in the past (he was on our 2015 Flexi Series, and also contributed some nice words to the Half Japanese promo sticker and video.) Lee decided to record the song "Circular (Right as Rain)", which he informed me was to be released on his upcoming (but at this time, unannounced) album on Mute Records.

Laying down the acoustic guitar and vocals in live takes, Lee first layered vocals, then percussion, then electric guitar, and even broke out my wife's out-of-tune childhood piano. I haven't yet heard the album version of "Circular (Right as Rain)", but Lee describes this version as "a more stripped down version." It's an incredible song, and seeing this guy work in person, it's obvious why he will go down in history as one of the great artists of our time." – Karl Hofstetter

If you're not a current VIP + Singles Series member, you have until June 15th to sign up to receive Lee's Almost Live Session.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2017, 03:40 PM   #67
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.rubadub.co.uk/records/un-...-velez-remixes
Old 06.15.2017, 09:09 PM   #68
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
thurston and tuff sherm/jorge velez is an odd combination.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2017, 08:21 AM   #69
Moshe
Super Moderator

Mark Kozelek & Sean Yeaton featuring Steve

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/mark...n_album_stream
Old 07.03.2017, 02:11 PM   #70
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
our Jef Mertens!!

New Borbetomagus DVD “Borbetomagus: A Pollock of Sound is the first feature-length documentary about the legendary improv / noise group Borbetomagus. Filmmaker Jef Mertens brings a raw, urgent, and unpolished vision focusing on a band that has spent almost four decades defining and redefining not just their music, but the boundaries of music itself. Band members Don Dietrich, Donald Miller, and Jim Sauter tell their story with the help of artists, writers, photographers, and filmmakers that include noted critic Byron Coley, drummer Chris Corsano, guitarist Thurston Moore, groundbreaking Japanese noise unit Hijokaidan, and Switzerland's masters of "cracked electronics," Voice Crack. Includes never-before-seen archival footage, amazing photographic finds, and previously unreleased recordings.”

Old 07.05.2017, 02:04 PM   #71
greenlight
invito al cielo

oh my, oh my. have you seen this? (sorry posting this to this thread)

Sonic City curated by Thurston Moore!

http://www.wildewesten.be/nl/festival/sonic-city-2017

Old 07.05.2017, 03:18 PM   #72
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

wow! what a line-up! I didn't know about it yet. That's a two hour drive from me
Thanks!

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2017, 11:04 PM   #73
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
wow! what a line-up! I didn't know about it yet. That's a two hour drive from me
Thanks!
i might see you there then!

Old 07.06.2017, 05:14 AM   #74
mendosaa
empty page

mendosaa has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Thanks! Some really nice sonics at this thread!
mendosaa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2017, 01:43 PM   #75
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Here's an article about the festival, including video interview with Thurston.
Original page in Dutch
Google Translate link

Tickets were selling so quickly, that it's no longer at De Kreun, but at a new and bigger one: Depart.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2017, 02:28 PM   #76
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Here's an article about the festival, including video interview with Thurston.
Original page in Dutch
Google Translate link

Tickets were selling so quickly, that it's no longer at De Kreun, but at a new and bigger one: Depart.

thanks!

Old 07.06.2017, 02:42 PM   #77
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:

o.k. checked few hours later and it is sold out already!

Old 07.08.2017, 07:52 PM   #78
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
wow! what a line-up!

Phenomenal lineup indeed. My favorites (*):

Brian Case
Marisa Anderson
Ashley Paul
Nels Cline
Steve Gunn
Joe McPhee
This Is Not This Heat
Wire
...and, of course, the Thurston Moore Group

*Not that I'll be there, but you bastards gotta tape-&-share!

Old 07.13.2017, 07:01 PM   #79
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston Moore collaborates on the latest release by Fast Speaking Music, Heroes Are Gang Leaders' "The Avant​-​Age Garde I Ams Of The Gal Luxury":
https://fastspeakingmusic.bandcamp.c...the-gal-luxury

Old 08.11.2017, 02:01 AM   #80
Moshe
Super Moderator

Lee is in Brazil working on a new soundtrack.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth