Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Which album would you like to see reissued next and why?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2006, 03:40 PM   #21
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, boxet with all kind of jams, rehearsing jams, unreleased stuff, soundtrack music, video footage + video footage behind scenes would be so sweet.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 03:41 PM   #22
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
im gonna rob some tapes from their studio, burn a million copies of some amazing show from 83 thats so raw nobodys ever heard it. break into all the record shops in the country and carefully swap my burned cds for the ones inside the dirty reissue cases.
ill do it all out of my own pocket.
its my way of putting a little bit back.
Any particular year is kinda irrelevant to me as they always struck me as a band that had to edit things down really heavily as they didn't know when to stop.My problem with the last two albums is pretty much that the song structures(or apparent lack of them) don't sound too much like that way of working was the start.I could quite possibly be wrong but that's just an impression i got.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 03:49 PM   #23
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
i agree with you on rather ripped,
but nurse?
Nurse sounds very free and improvised to my ears.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 03:53 PM   #24
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
i agree with you on rather ripped,
but nurse?
Nurse sounds very free and improvised to my ears.
Sorry,i'll re-phrase it as i had second thoughts exactly about Sonic Nurse.The thing with that album is that the jams it was possibly born out of sound like limping approximations of the band's real potential to me.It might not sound the same to you,you understand.

Old 11.23.2006, 03:58 PM   #25
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Any particular year is kinda irrelevant to me as they always struck me as a band that had to edit things down really heavily as they didn't know when to stop.My problem with the last two albums is pretty much that the song structures(or apparent lack of them) don't sound too much like that way of working was the start.I could quite possibly be wrong but that's just an impression i got.

i agree.
i just have this softspot for that era. i also love a thousand leaves more than most other albums ever made, and that was probabaly the most fucked with album in that sense.
they played with it for so long, gigging and jamming and bouncing it back and forth and moulding it into the masterpiece it is. if only they put as much into the recent stuff as they did there.
it all seems a bit rushed thesedays.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 04:02 PM   #26
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
i agree.
i just have this softspot for that era. i also love a thousand leaves more than most other albums ever made, and that was probabaly the most fucked with album in that sense.
they played with it for so long, gigging and jamming and bouncing it back and forth and moulding it into the masterpiece it is. if only they put as much into the recent stuff as they did there.
it all seems a bit rushed thesedays.

i agree with that exactly... its like they just put out an album, tour it a bit, then move on... the songs don't seem to mature or evolve at all, and not necessarily because they're bad songs, you know?
Old 11.23.2006, 04:05 PM   #27
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
i agree with that exactly... its like they just put out an album, tour it a bit, then move on... the songs don't seem to mature or evolve at all, and not necessarily because they're bad songs, you know?
This is the agree domino effect.I can't see the new songs evolving further than the other ones,regardless of quality.

Old 11.23.2006, 04:16 PM   #28
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
its just not very exciting, is it?
i used to get so excited by sonic youth. now the excitement has gone from the older albums, and the new ones have failed to stir that up in me.
i like excitement. in music, i kinda need it. it just does it to me. i cant be all hip and kool and smarmy and sit back and say...hey man,, yeah this stuff is really kool as if im so laid back about it i sound like im on tranquilisers..... i get stupidly exicted by great music. i jump around the place when im on my own. after i listen to a song in my headphones, i rip em out and i almost scream.....thats the fucking fucking best song ever. i need that buzz......that drug, that excitement, and with albums you know inside out, you can still get it, but its less often.
the first few years of knowing an album, im fucking mental when i listen to it, then it gets a bit less, but i still love it.
you can get used to it for bands who are long dead or split, but when they are still active, its a bit crappy that they dont have me acting like a twat on the train.
Old 11.23.2006, 04:29 PM   #29
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
i used to get so excited by sonic youth. now the excitement has gone from the older albums, and the new ones have failed to stir that up in me.
i like excitement. in music, i kinda need it. it just does it to me. i cant be all hip and kool and smarmy and sit back and say...hey man,, yeah this stuff is really kool as if im so laid back about it i sound like im on tranquilisers..... i get stupidly exicted by great music. i jump around the place when im on my own. after i listen to a song in my headphones, i rip em out and i almost scream.....thats the fucking fucking best song ever. i need that buzz......that drug, that excitement, and with albums you know inside out, you can still get it, but its less often.
the first few years of knowing an album, im fucking mental when i listen to it, then it gets a bit less, but i still love it.
you can get used to it for bands who are long dead or split, but when they are still active, its a bit crappy that they dont have me acting like a twat on the train.
Maybe it's the fact that i made a trip to the shops and now i have more than enough food to fill my fridge and cupboards for a month.Maybe it's listening to Reich so much recently as well as eating so many veggies for a while but your posts tonight are wonderful.Do you fancy dancing?

Old 11.23.2006, 04:35 PM   #30
wax
the destroyed room

ill dance for the length of free the bee
thats about 2 minutes, but you know its one of them trax that gives you asthma...... but obviously the good asthma.
lets go.
Old 11.23.2006, 04:46 PM   #31
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Well, when Nurse came out i really loved it but after a few listens it kinda annoyed me, donīt know why, maybe cuz of the let-down song Arthur Doyle can eat my handcreme.
After a while of ignorance, i gave it another chance and the record began to really grow on me. Then i saw em live playing all the songs of Nurse, since then i understood.
They had so much fun, free space to improvise and they just got lost in sound and joy. Lee hammering on his Moog, Thurston climbing up his amp.....blablabla

Well, i donīt see/hear this in Rather Ripped, everything seems compressed and structured, kinda like wearing very thight jeans.
But i still really like it in some way.

Back to topic:
Iīd love a NYC+F reissue with unreleased songs from that time

edit: damn, my english is so fucked up
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 05:00 PM   #32
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
ill dance for the length of free the bee
thats about 2 minutes, but you know its one of them trax that gives you asthma...... but obviously the good asthma.
lets go.
The room aint that big but i'm doing my best.I personally would like to hear some Sister stuff so bad that i'd eat some kid's school lunch.

Old 11.23.2006, 05:05 PM   #33
Jico

a few old EPs.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 05:11 PM   #34
wax
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
The room aint that big but i'm doing my best.I personally would like to hear some Sister stuff so bad that i'd eat some kid's school lunch.

sister sounds like maybe the most interesting album for this kind of stuff.
the thing with sister though,,,for me at least, is the production. they must have played the hell outa them songs before they got em as good as they are, but out of all the albums, the production on sister has so much more effect on the finished album than on any other sy release. at least in my mind.
what an album though. i havnt listened to it for soo long. i can feel the excitement coming on for a bit of sister i think.
Old 11.23.2006, 05:13 PM   #35
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax

i can relate to that... when i first started listening to SY i bought a whole bunch of their albums up really quickly and it was a real experience, i would spend whole days in my room listening to them 'cause i hadn't heard anything like it before, but their last couple of albums just haven't made me feel like that, whereas there a quite a lot of bands around that give me that same feeling, just because they're fresh (or at least to my ears).
Old 11.23.2006, 05:19 PM   #36
lizzarddd
bad moon rising

lizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-festlizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-festlizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
expirmental jet set trash and no star,
lizzarddd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 05:26 PM   #37
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
sister sounds like maybe the most interesting album for this kind of stuff.
the thing with sister though,,,for me at least, is the production. they must have played the hell outa them songs before they got em as good as they are, but out of all the albums, the production on sister has so much more effect on the finished album than on any other sy release. at least in my mind.
what an album though. i havnt listened to it for soo long. i can feel the excitement coming on for a bit of sister i think.
I wish they'd do John Cale and Terry Riley's 'The Soul Of Patrick Lee' for 70 minutes.That'd be perfect.

Old 11.23.2006, 05:54 PM   #38
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
I am very aware of this, but so too are Goo and Dirty, no?

Yes. I thought you were referring to just a plain old reissue. Not a deluxe edition.
Old 11.23.2006, 06:04 PM   #39
lucyrulesok
100%

sorry, my bad
Old 11.24.2006, 02:52 AM   #40
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
Evol or Bad Moon Rising
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth