Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Ayn Rand
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.10.2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Last year, I had to write an essay about Ayn Rand's Anthem. The essay would be submitted to some competition. I hated the book, and my essay was terrible. Sometime in the Summer I got a letter informing me that I lost. Was I suprised? Not at all, my essay hinted that I didn't like the book (although I am sure that the people that read them in 45-60 seconds didn't catch that).

Today I was walking home from the bus stop, and when I walked through the door to my house I found a package from the Ayn Rand Institute addressed to me. It had The Fountainhead in it and some papers talking about another competition.

So, what I want to know is if I should even bother reading it. I hated Anthem. But maybe this book is worth reading.

And to make the thread a wee bit better: talk about Ayn Rand, if you feel the need.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2007, 07:04 PM   #2
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Read it. If you happen to hate it as much as Anthem, then take the time to write why you didn't enjoy it in your essay.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2007, 07:10 PM   #3
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Anthem is an easy, short read. It's also some of the most appalling drivel that passes for deep thinking that one can imagine. Your reaction is an intelligent one, Alex's Trip. Ayn Rand is quite the villain and I pretty much despise her proponents. I personally would shun any connection to the Ayn Rand Institute. If they were mailing me anything, I would contact the organization and request to be removed from their list.

Although, The Fountainhead is really a pretty good novel. It's probably the only thing by Ayn Rand that is worth reading.

Years ago, I tried to read Atlas Shrugged, but instead shirked away from the prospect.

I like the aboriginal art avatar, nomadicfollower!
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2007, 08:20 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Last year, I had to write an essay about Ayn Rand's Anthem. The essay would be submitted to some competition. I hated the book, and my essay was terrible. Sometime in the Summer I got a letter informing me that I lost. Was I suprised? Not at all, my essay hinted that I didn't like the book (although I am sure that the people that read them in 45-60 seconds didn't catch that).

Today I was walking home from the bus stop, and when I walked through the door to my house I found a package from the Ayn Rand Institute addressed to me. It had The Fountainhead in it and some papers talking about another competition.

So, what I want to know is if I should even bother reading it. I hated Anthem. But maybe this book is worth reading.

And to make the thread a wee bit better: talk about Ayn Rand, if you feel the need.

take a shit on the wrapper and mail it back.

fucking missionaries!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:26 AM   #5
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

fucking missionaries!

exactly my reaction
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2007, 12:06 PM   #6
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

fucking missionaries!

That's an insult to toilet paper.

Read the intro to FOUNTAINHEAD. She goes on about how she did all this research into architecture and really knows her shit. Then, she says she used the wrong word in the book! Some egoism vs. egotism thing. She blames her dictionary. Whadda fucking idiot.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Ugh...

Ayn Rand ruined a perfectly good friendship of mine. True story.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2007, 05:19 PM   #8
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i really liked the fountainhead.
Old 01.14.2007, 05:41 PM   #9
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
http://www.theatlasphere.com/

The above link is to The Atlas Sphere, a dating/networking site for admirers of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. Currently 5,710 dating profiles.

But if you don't smoke, you probably won't be too popular there. From Atlas Shrugged:

"I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind--and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth