Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page i just got Houdini by the Melvins and i fucking love it
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.22.2006, 02:36 PM   #21
ozZuB-ginK
little trouble girl

ozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to behold
i love some melvins! (read my name backwards)

my fav melvin records are Gluey Porch treatments, Bullhead, and Hostile Ambient takeover. The last record pigs of the roman empire was fucking great as well. The melvins are getting more and more experimental, better with age
ozZuB-ginK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 07:54 PM   #22
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
"Pigs Of The Roman Empire" is one of my favorite experimental records in my collection. Adam Jones did a great job on guitar. & of course King Buzzo was a master of instrumentation on that record. But, isn't he always.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 11:10 AM   #23
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Hail King Buzzo! HAIL!
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2006, 06:16 PM   #24
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I bought this album like 5 minutes ago. Better be good.
Old 05.01.2006, 09:11 PM   #25
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
i assure you, 'tis excellent.
Old 05.01.2006, 11:51 PM   #26
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
speaking of houdini, do you guys know about this?

what's this? to answer the question, let me quote his majesty, king buzzo:

Well of course it's 2006 and as usual the seemingly tireless Melvins have yet another brand "new" CD. Big surprise. This time, as a result of their strange work last year in Europe they've recorded a full length Houdini Live record entitled "A Live History of Gluttony and Lust", which is ready for a May release so put down your beer bongs and your crack pipes and get ready to dash out and buy two or three copies…or maybe twenty copies just in case. Amazingly the Melvins recruited the amazing bass master Trevor Dunn best known for his amazing work in the Trevor Dunn trio-convulsant, Mr. Bungle, Fantômas and a whole lot of headache inducing "music" with John Zorn. This is a thoroughly modernized live version of the 1993 "classic" Houdini record along with a few surprises tossed in for shits and giggles. Why not? Remember it's the nuts, it's effortless and it's just like the oil on Arrons beard and God forbid you forget this isn't bullshit, so don't worry.

comes out may 16.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 04:01 AM   #27
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
Just listened to it. Sweet. My ears are ringing.
Old 05.02.2006, 01:19 PM   #28
Mudride
little trouble girl

Mudride has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Houdini Live 2005
Melvins

Welcome to the “Melvins Live History of Gluttony and Lust”. This is the entire Houdini record plus a few changes and some extras...
The whole concept originated from an invitation by the delightful “All Tomorrows Parties” people in England to perform the entire Houdini album live as part of their “Don’t Look Back” series. It included The Stooges, The Gang of Four, Dinosaur Jr., Mudhoney, The Lemonheads, The Dirty Three and... well... I don’t know who else but I know they all had to play one album in it’s entirety.
It sounded like a brilliant idea and we thanked God that they hadn’t ask us to do the Ozma record. The only problem was The Melvins were once again without a bass player.
Fortunately I’d been playing in the stupidly complicated Fantômas with the stinkingly talented Trevor Dunn since 1998 and I knew if he could pull off playing those nightmarish songs he could handle learning the Houdini record with practically no rehearsal. It was perfect. Trevor’s a charming cat, besides we felt sorry for the little fella because he’s really only been involved in the drowsy, headache-inducing, goose-honking New York “jazz” scene. We thought he should finally get a chance to participate in a first-class outfit like ours. Happily for us, he agreed.
We figured it was our duty to put this out as a live record since we went to the trouble of RE-LEARNING all of the songs, a third of which we never ever intended to play live. Figuring out HOW to play some of them was problematic but it worked out beautifully. The shows in London and Dublin went great. Unfortunately we didn’t hit upon the idea of the live record until after the shows were over. This was a dilemma that could only be remedied by recording another show, and that wasn’t easily done. Not only did we have a limited amount of time, locating a suitable venue and assembling the recording equipment was a BITCH. In the end, we couldn’t find a venue that would work on such short notice so we rented a warehouse in Vernon, just south of LA, set up the gear and rehearsed all afternoon for our “invitation only” performance that evening. Then after running through the show twice, we took the tapes to the studio, picked out the best songs of the two sets, mixed them and mastered them onto this CD. DONE! In the exact same order we played them.
- Buzz Osborne 2006

Track listing

Disc 1:
1. Pearl Bomb
2. Hooch
3. Night Goat
4. Lizzy
5. Going Blind
6. Cop-Ache
7. Set Me Straight/DCH
8. Sky Pup
9. Teet
10. Joan Of Arc
11. Honey Bucket
12. Hag Me
13. Spread Eagle Beagle

thats gonna be so sweet !
Mudride is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 09:47 PM   #29
Andrés
children of satan

Andrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudride
Houdini Live 2005
Melvins

"It sounded like a brilliant idea and we thanked God that they hadn’t ask us to do the Ozma record."

hehe

Yeah it's gonna be awesome! I wanna listen to it now!!

Andrés is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 10:50 AM   #30
Mudride
little trouble girl

Mudride has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
LOL !
Mudride is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth