Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.03.2014, 04:35 PM   #6081
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
We could tie ourselves in semantic knots trying to distinguish a difference between stupid, goofy, idiotic, whatever. Surely the point is his behaviour - while in no way malicious - is destructive in terms of his career. Although it could also be said that his behaviour actually covers over the fact he's really never proved himself on the pitch, long term anyway. Not saying he's a bad player but he hardly lives up to the hype.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2014, 04:49 PM   #6082
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
This has been the shittest week for Everton for a long time. Absolute wank. The Hull game shows everything that's been wrong. Luakaku's first touch makes him look like a virgin who's never touched a woman: nervy and hesistant.
For all the talk of Barkley being the next Gascoigne he needs to step it and be A LOT more consistent. It's frustrating cos you do see these flashes of brilliance from him then he lets himself down.
When as the last time Everton had a clean sheet and won in this seasons premier league? *checks* FUCKING SEPTEMBER? You're having a fucking giraffe! From a team who were in the top for keeping clean sheets, to being staggeringly bad, you've got to wonder what's going on.

Honestly at the moment I can only say Mirallas and McCarthy (and he's bloody injured now) are the ones who are showing that level needed in every game.

AND YET! If you looked at just the Europa league you'd think we'd be on the way to winning it. Why I get so pent up I'll never know.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2014, 07:40 PM   #6083
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
We could tie ourselves in semantic knots trying to distinguish a difference between stupid, goofy, idiotic, whatever. Surely the point is his behaviour - while in no way malicious - is destructive in terms of his career. Although it could also be said that his behaviour actually covers over the fact he's really never proved himself on the pitch, long term anyway. Not saying he's a bad player but he hardly lives up to the hype.

oh im kind of fond of the word "goofy" as i was called that by the drunken father of an irish-american ex-girlfriend. fuck yeah i was goofy. i'm definitely not an angry drunk ha ha. anyway by that word i mean, i guess: playful. to be honest, i laughed at his post. it did play on ethnic stereotypes but i thought it was harmless. someone is always going to be offended though-- always always always. (there's a lot of money in that racket these days-- and i say that as a "minority".)

my point was his behavior is only damaging because of the constant scrutiny. if he was able to horse around and be goofy with less publicity he'd be fine. things being what they are, he needs a filter and a new pr person.

btw, the name of the player was valeriano lópez. peruvian, played for millonarios in colombia, turned down an offer from real madrid who ended up hiring distefano instead. the tale of his prodigious feats of manhood (lol) is mentioned in one of vargas-llosa's novels (i forget which one).

as for balotelli's performance-- yes, he's one of those people who when stricken with inspiration will do unbelievable things, but most other days he'll be completely out of it. if they could only invent a drug to keep him inspired...

===

anyway, to change subject--

hm... i've got nothing, ha ha.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2014, 09:19 PM   #6084
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
For all the talk of Barkley being the next Gascoigne

Journalists really ought to be fined every time they call a young English player the new Gascoigne, especially as it seems to be the kiss of death in terms of their progress.

Anyway, watched Chelsea v Tottenham. Chelsea really do look unstoppable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

anyway, to change subject--

hm... i've got nothing, ha ha.

We're all twiddling our thumbs, killing time before a Chelsea v Bayern CL final.

Old 12.04.2014, 09:59 AM   #6085
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
We're all twiddling our thumbs, killing time before a Chelsea v Bayern CL final.

if/when that happens, i'll have to start believing in zoroastrianism

Old 12.06.2014, 12:24 PM   #6086
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i didn't catch the game yesterday but dortmund finally won again-- beat hoffenheim 1-0 w/ a gundogan header. they are off the bottom now-- stuttgart sits at #18 now after getting creamed by schalke 4-0 (this i just saw). dortmund climbed to 13th.

bayern-bayer in 5'! 1st vs 3rd.
Old 12.06.2014, 06:17 PM   #6087
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Looks like a bad injury for Aguero today. Suspected knee ligament tear that could keep him out for months and something some players never fully recover from. Always knew he was good but he seemed to have hit a whole new level the past few weeks. Even outside the Prem, everyone saw what he did to Dortmund. Be a real shame not just for Man City but for football if it's as bad as it looks.
Old 12.06.2014, 06:51 PM   #6088
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Looks like a bad injury for Aguero today. Suspected knee ligament tear that could keep him out for months and something some players never fully recover from. Always knew he was good but he seemed to have hit a whole new level the past few weeks. Even outside the Prem, everyone saw what he did to Dortmund. Be a real shame not just for Man City but for football if it's as bad as it looks.

Yeah man I agree. Gutting for him and you could see how much it had affected him.I had a bet with a friend on who would score more goals between him and Costa, even with Aguero's injury it's still a close call. I also puts City's champions league chances a bit back too. Shame the game was dull as fuck. Last season Liverpool and Everton were two teams playing exciting football that was great to watch. This season even bloody Burnley have more watchability (it's a word now, bitch) about them.

Crap MOTD tonight. Although well done to Newcastle. Pardew in!

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2014, 07:12 PM   #6089
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

you mean what he did to Bayern Munich!

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2014, 02:29 AM   #6090
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Last season Liverpool and Everton were two teams playing exciting football that was great to watch. This season even bloody Burnley have more watchability (it's a word now, bitch) about them.

Yeah, although there's at least some logic to Liverpool's situation: Suarez gone; Sturridge injured; doubt surrounding Gerrard's future, etc. Everton's situation just makes no sense.

Quote:
well done to Newcastle. Pardew in!

Yeah, well done to Newcastle, but Pardew manages to make them such a difficult team to like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
you mean what he did to Bayern Munich!

Oops, yeah.

EDIT: And West Ham win again. This is just weird.
Old 12.07.2014, 11:47 AM   #6091
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

managed to catch the 2nd half of the west ham / swansea game earlier. sloppy but good! had fun watching it.

carroll was named man of the match by the tv but to my eyes it was sakho who was *everywhere*. and 2 goalposts!
Old 12.07.2014, 02:48 PM   #6092
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
managed to catch the 2nd half of the west ham / swansea game earlier. sloppy but good! had fun watching it.

carroll was named man of the match by the tv but to my eyes it was sakho who was *everywhere*. and 2 goalposts!

Sloppy might be a bit harsh. It was a good tactical battle, which WH won by being able to work things to their strengths and Swansea's weaknesses. Sakho's our 'best' player (along with maybe Song) and against different opponents he definitely comes into his own but this was a game that needed someone to capitalise on Swansea's less physical style, especially in the air, and that's the one thing Carroll will always do. He probably wasn't the 'best' player on the pitch but definitely the most important - scoring 2 of our goals and setting up the 3rd. Carroll gets so much criticism (especially from West Ham fans) but fair play to him today, when he did exactly what he was brought in to do.

West Ham's strength this season is they're no longer relient on what Carroll brings. They have him but now Sakho adds another dimension, another option.
Old 12.07.2014, 03:10 PM   #6093
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Donovans Final.game Kicks Off.now

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2014, 03:28 PM   #6094
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Sloppy might be a bit harsh. It was a good tactical battle, which WH won by being able to work things to their strengths and Swansea's weaknesses. Sakho's our 'best' player (along with maybe Song) and against different opponents he definitely comes into his own but this was a game that needed someone to capitalise on Swansea's less physical style, especially in the air, and that's the one thing Carroll will always do. He probably wasn't the 'best' player on the pitch but definitely the most important - scoring 2 of our goals and setting up the 3rd. Carroll gets so much criticism (especially from West Ham fans) but fair play to him today, when he did exactly what he was brought in to do.

ha ha... well maybe not exactly "sloppy" but... i can't explain-- seemed like "lots of muscle" or something. in bundesliga games there is a lot of speed and physicality, but with more... precision? less wrangling? not sure. this is different. it was awesome though! honestly, i enjoyed it. a different style from what i'm used to see but no less entertaining. and seeing swansea really pressure for a goal during the 10-15 minutes they managed to dominate with 10 men was awesome--i thought they'd sit back & defend.

i didn't watch the 1st half so i didn't have a full appreciation unfortunately. sakho was really dominant though. for me, a total stranger to these teams, with no background or understanding of who was who, it was like watching "sakho & company" vs. swansea.

btw, wasn't carroll a loan from.... liverpool i think?

anyway, good match & congrats again!

--

sorry to hear about agüero's injury. rome are probably ecstatic with the news. i wonder who pep will line up vs. cska.
Old 12.07.2014, 04:16 PM   #6095
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
At the half. New England is playing great press defense and the Galaxy often are trying to do too much but have looked fantastic and had several great shots. Landon is making Jurgen look increasingly foolish. Not usually this happy with a 0-0 but the Ravens getting a big win simultaneously may have helped

Old 12.07.2014, 04:32 PM   #6096
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
ha ha... well maybe not exactly "sloppy" but... i can't explain-- seemed like "lots of muscle" or something. in bundesliga games there is a lot of speed and physicality, but with more... precision? less wrangling? not sure. this is different. it was awesome though! honestly, i enjoyed it. a different style from what i'm used to see but no less entertaining. and seeing swansea really pressure for a goal during the 10-15 minutes they managed to dominate with 10 men was awesome--i thought they'd sit back & defend.

i didn't watch the 1st half so i didn't have a full appreciation unfortunately. sakho was really dominant though. for me, a total stranger to these teams, with no background or understanding of who was who, it was like watching "sakho & company" vs. swansea.

btw, wasn't carroll a loan from.... liverpool i think?

anyway, good match & congrats again!

--

sorry to hear about agüero's injury. rome are probably ecstatic with the news. i wonder who pep will line up vs. cska.

Carroll started as a loan from Liverpool but WH bought him in the end. To be honest he's been a disaster since then, out with injury far more than anything else, and dictating the way we played even when he was out, because Sam had built the entire team around him. Sakho was brought in to address that and it's worked brilliantly so far.

The match itself wasn't a classic but it did I suppose represent some of the intensity and physicality that you get at the lower levels of the Prem, where that 'Any Given Sunday' spirit causes regular upsets. To be honest, I don't think anyone looking for the 'best' football would follow the Prem. It's probably better suited to those who like the whole David v Goliath thing, and, in that sense, it's lesser known managers like Allardyce or Pardew, rather than say Mourinho or Pellegrini or Wenger, that arguably represent its real uniqueness.
Old 12.07.2014, 04:44 PM   #6097
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
i wonder who pep will line up vs. cska.

Given Bayern will finish top even if they lose, he'd be mad to play anything but a 2nd string side. I'd expect lots of unknown names and plenty of tactical experiments.
Old 12.07.2014, 04:46 PM   #6098
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Reflecting on what Donovan.has.done.. in basketball terms he is like a point guard who shoots well. Because he has the talent to score on his own defense has to respect him and because he has a sense of field vision and can make excellent passes he can use his ability to pull in defenders making openings for other players. He also has those bursts of speed. So if a defender sits back Landon can score, and if a defender presses too hard Landon can get an assist. I cant think of a lot of footballers who have that balance, there are plenty of playmakers and plenty of scorers but few who do both at an equal level

Old 12.07.2014, 05:01 PM   #6099
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Reflecting on what Donovan.has.done.. in basketball terms he is like a point guard who shoots well. Because he has the talent to score on his own defense has to respect him and because he has a sense of field vision and can make excellent passes he can use his ability to pull in defenders making openings for other players. He also has those bursts of speed. So if a defender sits back Landon can score, and if a defender presses too hard Landon can get an assist. I cant think of a lot of footballers who have that balance, there are plenty of playmakers and plenty of scorers but few who do both at an equal level

He seems like a bit of a scholar of the game. He looks destined for management and must surely be talked about as a future nat. team coach.
Old 12.07.2014, 05:26 PM   #6100
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Ironically as have so many former point guards in NBA also gone.on to be great.coaches, most recently with Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson both of which were alltime great players at their positions. I dont think Donovan has the.mentality.to be a head coach, possibly a great assistant or coordinator.

255295302303304 305 306307308315355405 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth