Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Top 10 albums 2015
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.26.2015, 01:22 PM   #61
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Mortte, I really love the attitude you have about music. It's refreshingly unpretentious. You're right... how can a list of someone's personal preferences have or not have "credibility"? It's credible and valid of it accurately represents what that person likes, and that's all that matters.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2015, 02:11 PM   #62
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed
Old 01.01.2016, 10:24 PM   #63
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
it's a fuckin joke, a jab at Severian. if i made a list, would it really matter what album ranked at #3, and what ranked at #7? it's completely inane and subjective. why fuss over what constitutes a "real" album or not.. if it really hurts your brain, make a classification system for different types of releases.

i realize it's a personal, "album" top ten, but is set in stone? you've already revised the list x amount of times, and have expressed your perpetual uncertainty. how can you reach a point of total, absolute certainty? what about all of the music you've not yet heard, under-the-radar -type releases. it's impossible to create a definitive list, unless you're ignoring reality. is it against the rules to make a list for 2015 music in 2018? What puts Pusha T one slot ahead of Joanna Newsom?

all i'm saying is that it simply doesn't matter what you put in a list, what is defined as 'x' and what isn't. ultimately, anything can be defined as music, you can call it what you want. personal listening experiences aren't so easy to define and "rank" above/below one another. it just seems like a futile exercise, not something that should require so much deliberation and thought. again, i realize this is an albums thread, my apologies for the rant.
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2016, 01:33 AM   #64
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
No Cities To Love honestly didn't make anyone's list?? Stop trying to be so damned hip and eclectic

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2016, 08:09 AM   #65
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I think there are not real reasons to make any lists specially here SYG. It´s just fun of the music listeners. But some people here instead of making lists seems to have fun to comment like "you´re list is so boring". Sometimes I just forget that trolling is part of the internet.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2016, 01:09 PM   #66
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
No Cities To Love honestly didn't make anyone's list?? Stop trying to be so damned hip and eclectic

It should probably be on mine. I fell in love with it late in the year, as you probably recall.
Old 01.02.2016, 01:19 PM   #67
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
it's a fuckin joke, a jab at Severian. if i made a list, would it really matter what album ranked at #3, and what ranked at #7? it's completely inane and subjective. why fuss over what constitutes a "real" album or not.. if it really hurts your brain, make a classification system for different types of releases.

i realize it's a personal, "album" top ten, but is set in stone? you've already revised the list x amount of times, and have expressed your perpetual uncertainty. how can you reach a point of total, absolute certainty? what about all of the music you've not yet heard, under-the-radar -type releases. it's impossible to create a definitive list, unless you're ignoring reality. is it against the rules to make a list for 2015 music in 2018? What puts Pusha T one slot ahead of Joanna Newsom?

all i'm saying is that it simply doesn't matter what you put in a list, what is defined as 'x' and what isn't. ultimately, anything can be defined as music, you can call it what you want. personal listening experiences aren't so easy to define and "rank" above/below one another. it just seems like a futile exercise, not something that should require so much deliberation and thought. again, i realize this is an albums thread, my apologies for the rant.

You're right, it's totally subjective and idiotic. I mean, I was re-ordering my top 50 of 2014 through most of 2015. It's just something I do to kill time. It's fun and it's also a tradition.

But yeah, it's absolutely arbitrary. No argument here. I've been doing it since 1993 in one form or another, however, so I doubt I'll stop. If I was a less neurotic person, I'd just have "Album of the Year" and list the rest of the top albums alphabetically or something. But if anything I'm far more neurotic than anyone realizes. Myself included. So that's that.
Old 01.02.2016, 01:33 PM   #68
Severian
invito al cielo

And for the record, my lists are definitely subject to change. I go back and reconfigure and reconsider and tweak fairly often. For example, my favorite album of 2010 was definitely not My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in 2010. I was still "on the fence" about Kanye (read: I'd bought into the personality assassination campaign that the media was spearheading (with plenty of help from Kanye himself)... I don't even remember what my original album of the year was for 2010, because since 2013 it's been MBDTF.

(Think it was actually My Father Will Guide me up a Rope to the Sky)

And in 2013 I fussed over shit a lot. Flaming Lips! No, Black Bug! No, Fuck Buttons! Nope, it's Yeezus after all. But it's not like I stop listening to these albums. In 2015 I listened to Amygdala by DJ Koze more than any new record. It was originally st #5 for 2013, I think. Now, I have to admit that there's a good chance it has inched into the top spot, but I will have to revisit Yeezus again to be certain.

It's a way to occupy my extremely scattered mind. If nobody wants to hear about it, or I hear that others are irritated by it, I won't talk about it here anymore. But in a thread made specifically for top 10 lists, I feel like it's appropriate.
Old 01.03.2016, 08:13 AM   #69
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Off the top of my head:

75 Dollar Bill
Bardo Pond
Sarah Mary Chadwick
Elklink
High on Fire
Marianne Nowottny
Bill Orcutt & Jacob Felix Heule
Selvhenter
Spires that in the Sunset Rise
Kurt Vile
White Magic
Wolf Eyes
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2016, 12:43 PM   #70
Severian
invito al cielo

Everybody's kinda forgetting about Lightning Bolt, huh?
Old 01.03.2016, 03:34 PM   #71
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
in no specific order -

meg baird - dont weigh down the light (drag city)
Hagerty-Toth Band - Qalgebra (threelobed records)
mv/ee - alpine tenement (feeding tube records)
mv/ee - alpine frequency (COM)
mv/ee - alphae lyrae (COM)
matt valentine - midden mounds (COM)
tom carter- Long Time Underground (threelobed)
nathan bowles- nansemond (paradise of bachelors)
chuck johnson - blood moon boulder (scissor tail editions)
white out with nels cline - accidental sky (northern spy records)

I just got the new *Parallelogram* threelobed set which has 10 artists, each with a side on 5 12"ers -
only 3 lobed could give us a bardo pond/yo la tengo split 12".
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2016, 04:07 PM   #72
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Everybody's kinda forgetting about Lightning Bolt, huh?

Nope
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2016, 04:42 PM   #73
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
in no specific order -

mv/ee - alpine frequency (COM)
Great record. Sightings's album was great too.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2016, 06:53 PM   #74
Severian
invito al cielo

I liked Amusers and Puzzlers a lot.
Old 01.04.2016, 02:49 AM   #75
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
1. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness
2. Maria Schneider Orchestra - The Thompson Fields
3. Arvo Part - Musica Selecta A Sequence by Manfred Eicher
4. Jim O’Rourke - Simple Songs
5. Built to Spill - Untethered Moon
6. Gnod - Infinity Machines
7. Wolf Eyes -I Am A Problem: Mind In Pieces
8. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
9. Akira Sakata & Jim O'Rourke with Chikamorachi & Merzbow - Flying Basket
10. Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2016, 04:23 AM   #76
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
top 10, no order:
s. araw trio xi -- gazebo effect
helm -- olympic mess
haino/o'rourke/ambarchi -- tea time for those determined to completely exhaust every bit of this body they've been given
elklink - farm stories
levantis -- romantic psychology 1
tallesen -- inca
mark fell & gabor lazar -- the neurobiology of moral decision making
russell street bombings -- russell street bombings
fourth world magazine vol. ii -- pinhead in fantasia
flying saucer attack -- instrumentals 2015

others:
jason lescalleet & kevin drumm
visionist
choi joonyong, kevin drumm & hong chulki
akira sakata & jim o'rourke with chikamorachi + merzbow
seijaku
robin fox
haino/brötzmann/o'rourke
robert aiki aubrey lowe x ariel kalma
ashtray navigations
teklife
drainolith
blank realm
crys cole
tom carter
f ingers
jim o'rourke
food court
german army
dan melchior
father
heather leigh
ilpo vaisanen
dj roc
errorsmith x mark fell
fis
drew mcdowall
elysia crampton
jme
lolina
jam city
helen
mesh
james ferraro
john t. gast
graham lambkin & michael pisaro
rp boo
hour house
richard youngs
jg biberkopf
lst
oobe
dj clent
julia holter
ahnnu
viet cong
kelela
russell haswell
sk kakraba
aki onda, loren connors & alan licht
kode9
lil ugly mane
mika vainio & franck vigroux
black zone myth chant
wolf eyes
/f
myth
nhk
oren ambarchi & jim o'rourke
rabit
marcus schmickler & john tilbury
slug christ
theo burt

going to assume I've missed some stuff. honestly though ae_live takes a characteristically enormous dump on top of everything.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2016, 10:46 AM   #77
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
top 10, no order:
s. araw trio xi -- gazebo effect
helm -- olympic mess
haino/o'rourke/ambarchi -- tea time for those determined to completely exhaust every bit of this body they've been given
elklink - farm stories
levantis -- romantic psychology 1
tallesen -- inca
mark fell & gabor lazar -- the neurobiology of moral decision making
russell street bombings -- russell street bombings
fourth world magazine vol. ii -- pinhead in fantasia
flying saucer attack -- instrumentals 2015

others:
kode9
viet cong
rp boo
jim o'rourke
ae_live takes a characteristically enormous dump on top of everything.

Hey, I like your style

Did you happen to listen to Jlin's Dark Energy? I'm guessing you did, since you seem to be up on her labelmates and others in the footwork spectrum, but does the fact that you didn't mention her mean you didn't like the album? Just curious. For me it was better even than Rp boo's album, which is saying a lot.

Also, I notice you've included Levantis - Romantic Psychology vol. 1. Excellent choice, and one that has been on surprisingly few year end lists. I wonder if people realize that it's Actress.
Old 01.04.2016, 10:39 PM   #78
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
yeah did hear the jlin record, really just did not stick with me in the slightest. her tracks seemed overly skeletal and to be honest totally drained of any sense of joy. whereas rp boo's tracks are so minimal as to be somewhat formulaic, there's always a sense of forward momentum or some sort of melodic heft to what he's doing, not necessarily within an individual track but over the course of the record itself. what jlin's doing structurally with footwork is absolutely stunning and she deserves all the attention she's getting for it as the teklife guys dredge deeper into their sound (and in some instances have become arguably static), but her palette grates with me for some reason.

as for the levantis lp, I think a lot of people do know it's cunningham, but there was little (if any) promotion for it coming out on a sublabel designed for the purpose of low key releases. and I suppose in some respects it's a pretty minor record in relation to what's come before it under the actress moniker, what with the two longest tracks being versions of the same piece and the rest of the record being comprised of vignettes. it's a very strangely structured record and I would love to hear these tracks fleshed out but as it is it's a fantastic little record. suppose a great deal of his fanbase was alienated by ghettoville as well which could explain the lack of attention it received.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2016, 05:17 PM   #79
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
sorry for such a long list..hard to choose and I def. left out plenty. also included some ep's and 12" and reissues. wish to have everything in physical form.

Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising (reissue)
Jacob Kirkergaard - 5 pieces
Balazs Pandi, Mats Gustafsson, Merzbow, Thurston Moore - Cuts Of Guilt. Cuts Deeper.
Charlemagne Palestine - Ssingggg Sschlllingg Sshpppingg
Charlemagne Palestine - Bell Studies
Beatriz Ferreyra - GRM Works
Powell - Sylvester Stallone/Smut
Low Jack - Imaginary Boogie
William S. Burroughs - Nothing Here Now But The Recordings (reissue)
Restraint - A Time With No Hands
Ninos Du Brasil - Aromobates NDB
Plastic Palace People (Heemann, O'Rourke)- From The Host Of Late-comers
Aine O'Dwyer - Music For Church Cleaners Vol. I and II
Lawrence English - Viento
Trevor Wishart - Red Bird
Sabisha Friedberg With Peter Edwards - The Hant Variance
Mark Dwinell - Golden Ratio
Jim Haynes - Scarlet
DV Damas - Wet Vision
Dual Action - Back In
John T. Gast - Excerpts
John Wiese - Deviate From Ballance
Vatican Shadow - Death Is Unity With God
Rose - Having Never Written A Note For Percussion
Aine O'Dwyer - Music For Church Cleaners Vol. I And II
Connie Converse - How Sad, How Lovely (reissue)
Broken English Club - Scars (EP)
Nick Klein - Failed Devotee (EP)
Ames Sanglantes -Chindia Tower Impalements
Exploring Jezebel - On A Business Trip To London
Hecker, Leckey - Hecker Leckey Sound Voice Chimera
Fadimoutou Wallet Inamoud - Sahel Sounds
Biosphere/Deathprod - Stator
U.S. Girls - Damn That Valley
Michael Redolfi - Pacific Tubular Waves / Immersion (reissue)
Akkord - HTH035
Ennio Morricone - Veruschka OST
Beatriz Ferreyra - GRM Works
Sun Ra - Planets Of Life Or Death: Amiens '73
Pearson Sound - S/T
Metallica - No Life Til Leather (reissue of their demo tape '82)
Yannick Dauby - tsi̍t lâu tsuí (Penghu Experimental Sound Studio Vol.1)
Sergei Tcherepnin - Quasar Lanterns
Surgeon - SRX (reissue)
Rezzett - Goodness
Green Gums - Black Tongue (EP)
Lifted - 1
Ruscigan - Viaggio Nel Domani (reissue)
DJ Spider & Marshallito - Contest For Supremacy (EP)
Death And Vanilla - To Where The Wild Things Are...
Prurient - Frozen Niagara Falls
Thomas Brikmann - What You Hear (Is What You Hear)
Alberich - Vampyric Screams
Martin Gore - MG
Person Of Interest - S/t
The Masters Musicians Of Jajouka - Into The Ahl Srif
Nick Forte - Primordial Forms
Smackos - The Age Of Candy Candy
M.E.S.H. - Piteous Gate
Flying Saucer Attack - Instrumentals 2015
Loop - Array 1
Blawan - Hanging Out The Birds
Drew McDowall - Collapse
The Bug - Zim Zim Zim
Francisco Lopez - La Selva
Regis - Manbite
Russel Haswell - A Sure As Night Follows Day
King Midas Sound/Fennesz - Edition 1
Hour House - Chiltern
Mick Travis - Face Disappears After Interrogation
Diat - Positive Energy
Anthony Child - Electronic Recordings From Maui Jungle Vol. 1
King Kong - Tanzania
Steven Stapleton & Christoph Heemann - Painting With Priests
Caught On Tape Duo - Full Bleed

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2016, 05:26 PM   #80
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
meg baird - dont weigh down the light (drag city)

white out with nels cline - accidental sky (northern spy records)

All right, finally some sense into this thread!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth