Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Yeah Yeah Yeahs/ Yes Yes Yes or No No No?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.08.2006, 08:34 PM   #21
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
as everyone's already said the first album is good. maps and pin are my favorites
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2006, 04:20 AM   #22
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I can't really understand what they wanted to achieve with the new CD.
mellow shit is not what fits with Karen's voice

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 04:48 PM   #23
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Modern Romance and Maps almost always bring me to tears.
Old 02.26.2009, 11:01 PM   #24
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
So... "It's Blitz!" is streaming on some sites. I've listened to it a couple times, and it's alright. I like most of the melodies, I just wish Nick would have utilized the guitar instead of those damn synths. But supposedly, they're releasing acoustic versions of many of the songs, so that's good for me.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 05:01 AM   #25
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
They're dreadful.

They're kinda Sonic Youth after being stripped of all good qualities. NY hipster at its worst.

She has an horrendous voice as well.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 08:53 AM   #26
al shabbray

I think their first album is one of the best and fun albums for ages when it came out. really love it and the 3 concerts I saw at that period where just excellent.
2nd album: yes I agree with everybody!
and even the concert from that tour was a let down
I still got a crush on karen o

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I can't really understand what they wanted to achieve with the new CD.
mellow shit is not what fits with Karen's voice

exactly. she can sing really beautiful like in the adidas advertising, but the second album is just too edgeless
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 09:07 AM   #27
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
first one Fever to Tell - is good in half.
I really enjoy second one Show Yr Bones.
And third one It's a Blitz! is more poppy melodies, some synths, guitar like on the other two, and it has only 3 really good songs.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 09:28 AM   #28
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
we need more bands with fashion advisors
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 10:55 AM   #29
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Their first album is one of my favourites of the last decade. Date With The Night, Y Control, Maps, Modern Romance... it's got so many great songs on. It's the soundtrack to the idea of a night-out in downtown New York that I have in my head, the excitement of the subway, walking down the darks streets, past the crackling neon, on the way to a grimey club, then the comedown of sitting in an empty cafe at 3am.

The second album is more poppy, and I haven't listened to it in ages, but I think they achieved what they wanted to do: reign-in the NY hipster-image, and make an album of good songs with strong melodies. I think it's a very likeable album, which is a difficult thing to describe or quantify, but there you go.

I like what I've heard of the new stuff. I don't understand why they couldn't have done most of those synth melodies with an effects-laden guitar though, like the sound they use on Y-Control. It doesn't bother me listening to it at home but I wonder how it will fit-in with the other songs when performed live.

I don't understand why people think their generic. Each album sounds different, and even their first one, which had them lumped together by NME with all the other 'The-' bands, is distinct: more distorted and louder yet more romantic and varied than The Strokes or whatever. I can't expect all die-hard Merzbow fans to like them, but it's exactly my kind of music anyway.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 12:41 PM   #30
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
^ I completely agree.

I think "It's Blitz!" would have sounded 10x better if they used guitars instead of synths. Also, mainstream doesn't equate with generic. Sure, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are pretty popular, but they definitely experiment with song structures and melodies.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 06:04 PM   #31
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Maps was a mindblowing song.
maybe one of top5 songs I've ever heard.

Well I wouldn't say top five I've heard, but it definitely is an amazing song.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 06:33 PM   #32
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Fever To Tell is one of my favorite albums of all times. Y Control, Maps, No No No, and Modern Romance are some phenomenal songs.
Old 02.27.2009, 07:35 PM   #33
hiland
children of satan

hiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asses
ooof! please move this thread to non-sonic sounds.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs are one of the last things i wanna read about.
hiland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2009, 06:14 AM   #34
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
yawn yawn yawn
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2009, 09:59 AM   #35
ihateyouth
children of satan

ihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's asses
Fever to Tell is good but I feel like I've heard it too much...

ihateyouth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2009, 12:00 PM   #36
washedupmachine
little trouble girl

washedupmachine has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I luv the YYY's. A great band to see live. Enjoy!
washedupmachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 05:37 AM   #37
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
I might be one of the few people who really enjoyed Show Yr Bones. I thought as far as making a pop album was concerned, it was fantastic.

It's pretty shallow kinda hip stuff, but theres a special element there somewhere I reckon.
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 06:13 AM   #38
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
perhaps, perhaps, perhaps
Old 03.01.2009, 08:10 AM   #39
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
It's pretty shallow kinda hip stuff, but theres a special element there somewhere I reckon.

Yeah that's what I got from that album.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 09:20 AM   #40
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
I might be one of the few people who really enjoyed Show Yr Bones. I thought as far as making a pop album was concerned, it was fantastic.

I agree
I even think Show Your Bones was better than Fever To Tell. The Sweets and Fancy are probably my two favorite YYYs songs
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth