Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool: new album, out now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.11.2016, 05:21 PM   #81
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
a pool, in the shape of a moon. and everything that it entails, however problematic

Yeah, but "moon" isn't a shape. The moon is an imperfect sphere. The title basically translates to "spherical pool." I think the title may mean nothing and just be one of those "hey, fuck it, it sounds cool" things.

Although... I suppose it could be a global warming reference. The world is well on its way to looking like a giant sphere of water. Plus, this is a subject that's close to the band's heart. The choice to use the word "pool" might suggest that people are supposed to use or inhabit the titular phenomenon, which would certainly be the case if the poles melted.

Actually, I think that is probably what the title is a reference to. Radiohead love apocalyptic imagery, and they have a history of being politically vocal.

That's my take anyway. That or the "fuck it it sounds cool" thing.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 05:22 PM   #82
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Most importantly, I feel like I can grow an emotional attachment to this album, which wasn't the case with "The King of Limbs"..
See i eventually grew an attachment to TKOL but i definitely took me time. I agree with you on this one, ive made an instant connection with this record. I was walking to the metro after work with it on in the spring sunshine and admittedly felt very rapturous. Now, i actually love TKOL now, and was just feeling pretty good listening to it on monday morning as my consolation prize for having to wait on Amazon. But again it took a long time to develop that connection. What is very different for me with A Moon Shaped Pool is the connection has been instantaneous

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 05:22 PM   #83
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
And to be sure i wouldn't even call it a particularly good record. I just feel like i really like it regardless

Old 05.11.2016, 06:50 PM   #84
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's a pretty goo record. I have to admit, I do a bit of track skipping on this one. There are a couple songs I'm not quite feeling. But most of them clicked right away.

Still not sure about "True Love Waits."

I read Pitchfork's little ode to it ("True Love Waits has finally found a home," or some such nonsense), and they were pretty hard on the I Might be Wrong version, which I don't think is particularly fair. I'm not sure how I feel about having the "official" take be so far removed from the song as I've known it for all these years. Definitely an odd choice. It's not like they're lacking in unreleased songs.

I hated it when Arcade Fire put No Cars Go on Neon Bible. It sounded like shit compared to the '03 version. Times like this I really have to wonder, fucking WHY?
Old 05.11.2016, 10:42 PM   #85
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Can you be a little more specific about what exactly you find embarrassing here? I mean, there's a lot of shit flying around in this thread. There's me, trying to get people to talk about the new Radiohead album, and talking instead mostly about old Radiohead albums. There's SFAD's Amazon woes. There's Genteel and slavo's typical bullshit, pepper typing drunk and SFAD creaming over the album after finally hearing it.

I'm gonna need a little more detail from you bro.

Yeah that's fair. Sure I was harsh but fuck it. This is a Sonic Youth fan forum right? If you hate AMSP that's fine, but some of things I'm reading here....holy fuck....Thom needs to quit the band? This is boring as fuck grandpa music? I could go on and on but there sure is a lot of insanity in this thread. I would hate for a newcomer to SY music to stumble on this thread. I've been here a lot of years and honestly there is a new low in this thread, and I'm not saying you have to love RH.

Anyway, fuck it. One random thought:

Someone said TKOL songs all sounded the same. Now, TKOL is not my fav RH, but my main problem with it is how the songs sound like they are from 2 entirely different EPs!!
Old 05.11.2016, 11:04 PM   #86
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Yeah that's fair. Sure I was harsh but fuck it. This is a Sonic Youth fan forum right? If you hate AMSP that's fine, but some of things I'm reading here....holy fuck....Thom needs to quit the band? This is boring as fuck grandpa music? I could go on and on but there sure is a lot of insanity in this thread. I would hate for a newcomer to SY music to stumble on this thread. I've been here a lot of years and honestly there is a new low in this thread, and I'm not saying you have to love RH.

Someone said TKOL songs all sounded the same. Now, TKOL is not my fav RH, but my main problem with it is how the songs sound like they are from 2 entirely different EPs!!
What the hell are you going on about?

Old 05.11.2016, 11:05 PM   #87
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Also.. new low? Exactly how many years you been here cuz we certainly have had some epic low points here on Days Of Our Sonic Lives

Old 05.12.2016, 12:05 AM   #88
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
is ed sheeran in this band? i saw the video for daydreaming, they have some aging tramp wandering around for no reason, it's utterly shit. is it supposed to be like a comment on the alienated yet fragile state of contemporary man as he is reduced to a silent spectator under the regime of digital capitalism? i don't know what radiohead where trying to say with this, maybe trying to make themselves look like authentic arty proles rather than the upper class oxford snobs they are. sneering alterna rock posh kids from oxford, the post modern equivalent of 19th century borgeious 'let them eat cake' snobs. do you know how thom yorke is actually pronounced? it's pronounced "th-om yor-ke'" (the e has an umlaut but my keyboard can't do it).

also you have to hate these fucking cunts for the jizzspolsion the press had when they released some crappy late era album as a pay what you want stream. like they were the first to do that. sorry. nothing this band have done has been any good since "origin of symmetry".

this "burn the witch" song, supposed to be some radical comment on the mob mentality, that's great coming from a bunch of lords in their shire mansions which is what radiohead are. th-om yorke was just a late 90's fashion model that got big because of that trend where they used semi-deformed and retarded people in high end brand name advertisizing campaigns because it was so 'avant'. look at how he has let himself go these days, he looks like he should be begging money for cider out of a sleeping bag. also, in this burn the witch video they burn a lot of wood - i thought th-ome was going to save us all by nagging us about our carbon footprint and not having any logos at his gigs? do you think th-omes' maid thinks he's a tortured genius when she's dusting his grimy cider stained sheets? please tell me how that face and that haircut don't have "just stabbed my community practice nurse with a plastic fork and now i'm off to rob the off licence before they catch me" written all over it.

in conclusion i will pay whatever i chose which is zero to not have to have any of this bands stuff on my hard drive, taking up precious bits which could be better put to use emitting c02. i give this 2 gifs of morose thome yorke banging a single midi keyboard note over and over and making a million pounds then sending his assistant out to buy warp records entire catalogue to find new ideas now that they've used up all the pixies riffs out of 10.

So... are we supposed to actually point out all the bullshit nonsense in this little temper tantrum, or should we assume you already know you're talking out of your asshole? I think you know, but maybe I'm giving you too much credit.

I would like to know why you spend time watching their videos in full if you hate the band so much. Don't you have things in your life that are more important? Perhaps a part time job? Maybe for an urban mobile retailer that sells do-rags and XXL white t-shirts?

Maybe a family? Friends? A support group of some sort?
Old 05.12.2016, 12:07 AM   #89
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj

NOBODY SAID THOM SHOULD QUIT THE BAND, GODDAMMIT. Except SFAD, who was jokingly accusing me of saying that (which I was not).

But dead battery's posts and the grandpa music shit are just total asswind.
Old 05.12.2016, 02:05 AM   #90
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses

Tom as The Scream...

I have only their first one and Kid A album. I was never a big fan of theirs, but enjoyed some of their stuff. thought i will check out their new stuff on youtube (esp. since this thread, haha), but it is impossible at the moment.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2016, 12:06 PM   #91
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
So why exactly do you guys think Thom should quit Radiohead?

...just kidding. The grandpa music comment really did make me chuckle when I read it though. What I wouldn't give to see any band title an album "Grandpa Music" now.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2016, 12:15 PM   #92
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok, I'm going to say this: people (not here, but elsewhere) are writing way too much about Radiohead and it's getting on my goddamn nerves.

I want to hear Radiohead news as much as anyone, but this isn't news. It's filler... it's overfiller... overkill... unnecessary and a total goddamn turnoff.

I think it speaks to the state of popular culture that certain artists just get covered and covered and covered when a new album drops. Kanye West and Radiohead more than any others, really. But the news coverage is absolutely fucking exhausting. There's no attempt to be tasteful, no attempt to stick to what the public needs to know. It turns into click-bait. New Kanye album? Well, Kanye West is one of the most Googled names in the world, so surely if we fill our website with daily updates on every facet of his public and personal life, we're sure to have a spike in readership that will make our parent company (let's say, for no reason in particular, CONDÉ NAST) happy.

Radiohead drops a new album? Well, we have barely said a word about them in five years, but they're Radiohead so a new album means a bunch of nerds will be habitually checking our website for tidbits every goddamn second for a while, so let's absolutely DROWN our readers in bullshit features about Radiohead and politics, Radiohead and technology, Radiohead fandom, Radiohead anal beads and Radiohead bumfuckery to milk this data cash cow for all it's worth until... y'know... Kanye or Betoncé does something else.

It speaks to the state of pop culture because pop culture is more fractured, fragmented and divided than it's ever been, and yet these artists are presented as though they somehow unite EVERYONE in the way the Beatles (or, to a lesser extent, Michael Jackson) did. Well, they fucking DON'T.

This board is evidence enough of that fact. I'm estimating that about 80% of the users here are well over the age of 30, meaning we all remember when Radiohead became "started" -- we all remember "Creep," and we remember the Bends, and we certainly remember OK Computer and the media frenzy surrounding it, and everything since. Add in the fact that this is a Sonic Youth board, and you can probably safely assume that just about EVERYONE here either is or has been a Radiohead fan at one time or another, probably between the years of 1995 and 2003 for the most part. Not only that, but we were all getting down to Sonic fucking Youth during those years, so it's probably not a stretch to assume that Radiohead is one of the "biggest" non-Nirvana bands we habe ever been into.

So we've all been there, seen it, done it, bought the t-shirt.

And yet, look at where we collectively stand on Radiohead now. Fucking everywhere and nowhere. There are a couple absolute die-yards, but mostly we're split. There are old timer fans who think the band dropped off a bit at some point, but still consider them a great band (like SFAD, louder, myself and a bunch of other folks who don't waste as much time here as the three of us). Then there are the golden era fans who think the band has sucked for 15 years. Then there are the dead batteries and evolloves who may or may not still like them, but certainly would rather talk shit than fawn over them at this point. And then there's the folks who just think they're awful, even though I'm positive that even they carried a torch for the band in '97.

Radiohead is/are not the Beatles.
Kanye West? Not the Beatles.

We have no Beatles. But Pitchfork wants to present this image of Radiohead somehow uniting two (or three?!) generations of music fans unlike any other band.

It's nonsense, and I'm sick of it. I work in the media. I have to write new content every goddamn day for one newspaper or another. If I wrote about the same goddamn thing and tried to slap it onto the homepage or front page every day for a week, I would be told to take my bullshit copy and shove it up my ass, and asked to go find something REAL to write about toot sweet or else.

I'm not saying anything negative about Radiohead here. Certainly not saying anything negative about Kanye, or Beyoncé. But I am saying the global entertainment media machine has turned into a shit factory. It's not even in the same category as news anymore. Pitchfork turns into a higher profile, no character limit version of a fan Twitter for the days and weeks surrounding a major release by a major artist, just like Entertainment Weekly wrote about nothing but The Force Awakens for three goddamn months.

It's despicable, and it actually makes it harder to enjoy the music. Who cares about decoding the deeper meaning behind the politics of a music video?! That just makes the band less appealing. Makes me want to take a hammer to my skull. It's just a song!!!! It's just a video!!! It's just an album! It's just a band!!! You're KILLING it by analyzing every little goddamn detail. Fucking executing it.

We have no Beatles. Nothing and nobody unites the world anymore. I wish everyone would stop wishing it was the '60s and wishing we were all happy. We're not, and nobody needs three Radiohead history lessons in one week.
Old 05.12.2016, 12:48 PM   #93
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ok, I'm going to say this: people (not here, but elsewhere) are writing way too much about Radiohead and it's getting on my goddamn nerves.

You are quite the comedian, Severian.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2016, 01:26 PM   #94
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Its why i stopped reading music "journalism".. i just let music speak for itself and this record speaks to me

Old 05.12.2016, 01:27 PM   #95
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
So why exactly do you guys think Thom should quit Radiohead?

...just kidding. The grandpa music comment really did make me chuckle when I read it though. What I wouldn't give to see any band title an album "Grandpa Music" now.
I love starting rumors. Read through the thread again it may just surprise you

Old 05.12.2016, 01:31 PM   #96
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Also Michael Jackson united people more than Beatles. Go to any party anywhere in the world right now. Spin a Beatles track. Might garner some mild interest but otherwise likely to bore the crowd. Spin ANY MJ track?? INSTANT PARTY BOOST.

Michael Jackson might be the most unifying artist in human history.

Old 05.12.2016, 02:07 PM   #97
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I've yet to listen to it. I heard the first single. It's not bad. Much better than 90% of In Rainbows.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2016, 02:29 PM   #98
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
'Decks Dark' is an early favorite. The bass guitar at the end..

I like that song too because the riff at the end reminds me a bit of Roxy Music.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2016, 02:38 PM   #99
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Opinions, opinions..
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2016, 02:44 PM   #100
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I love starting rumors. Read through the thread again it may just surprise you

No need to read through it all again. I totally get it actually. It's been one of the more amusing elements of this whole thread, hence why I had to poke some fun at it myself. I just want to belong...

On a more serious update, I have totally come around to True Love Waits now. Was very odd to hear it in this form for awhile, but the initial shock has worn thin and I really like listening to this tune. Nice closer for the album.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth