Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page How often do you feel completely uninterested in music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2014, 12:21 PM   #21
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Definitely like rob said, its not listening to or playing music that is for the young, its chasing the new, because when you're young EVERYTHING is new and EVERYTHING new is practically Divine.

To me that's a cliche. I reckon I've listened to more musicians in tune with my idea of good music in my mid-to-late 30s than when I was 16 or something. I understand that some people lose interest in stuff as they grow older but it irks me when opinions like yours and Rob's seem to be met with general consensus. Besides, they seem to stem from a wider acknowledgement that the old ''don't get'' the young when it comes to music, when it's also true that the young ''don't get'' the old and often only seem to emulate them, which is useless as far as I am concerned.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 12:28 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
You misunderstand. I didn't say the young know more about music than the old, or that they are more experienced. Quite the opposite, its that the experience and indeed musical wisdom of the older tempers our rush to dive into everything new.

Chasing new music is for the young, but they are chasing precisely because of the insecurities and excitement of what they DON'T know.

In this regard, I think music in your 30s is much like dating. In your teens you are just fucking horny and crazy. You go after every opportunity. When you are in your 30s you know what you want and you know who you are..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 12:34 PM   #23
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Chasing new music is for the young,.
Just admit it, you didn't read my post with calm. Your quick reply is suggesting this. Perhaps a sign that the older you get, the more you value impatience as something that comes with it.
Old 06.26.2014, 12:40 PM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Admit what, that I totally agreed with you? Did you read my reply "with calm"??

Old 06.26.2014, 12:40 PM   #25
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Meme time.

Old 06.26.2014, 12:42 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I agreed with you that the experience of being "older" means we approach music with a more tempered approach. We know what we want. We know what we are looking for, even in something new. Its not about young or old misunderstanding each other, its about the older just knowing themselves better.

Old 06.26.2014, 12:42 PM   #27
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 06.26.2014, 12:43 PM   #28
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 06.26.2014, 12:43 PM   #29
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 06.26.2014, 12:44 PM   #30
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Really and honestly, please explain where we disagreed? I'm not trying to be "muleheaded" like !@#$%! always accuses, but I sincerely thought we shared similar sentiments here, where am I off base? I ain't trying to say that "you're wrong" especially when I totally thought I was saying, "You're right."

????

Old 06.26.2014, 12:44 PM   #31
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 06.26.2014, 12:47 PM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 06.26.2014, 12:49 PM   #33
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 06.26.2014, 01:01 PM   #34
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery

and black people cant come up with anything new for us to steal. why is hip hop still happening?

Funny. And true. Just about everything recorded by a black person before 1980 was good or goddamn great. Kinda patchy, to say the least, since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Maybe musical appreciation is like any muscle, overuse, creates fatigue.

My last big project was to study Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas. It's something I'll probably never be one with entirely, but I've heard several performances and paid a lot of attention to smart pros and professors discussing them.

Glorious stuff. But jesus fuck I need a break. Like, a lot of silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what gets tiresome is chasing the "new"

Oh, well, "new" music. I haven't cared about chasing the new for about a decade now. I'm sure I'm missing out on great stuff. But I don't care.

But for music in general, it's been awhile since I've strapped on a pair of headphones, rolled some cigs and a joint or two, and blissed out for a few hours. I miss it. I don't know. Perhaps western harmony can only do so much. Even with classical music, I was starting to get tired of that genre's cliches.

It's weird. I'd never say I DON'T like music. But mostly, I sure don't act like it.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 01:09 PM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I'm not really interested if music is for the young or old. I am curious to know how someone feels when you lose interest in something you've been holding as special for a long time and suddenly you realise all that has changed.

It is a sign that oneself has changed. The Beatles stay the Beatles, but as one listens to more and more, one changes and what was energizing and life-affirming just becomes rote.
Old 06.26.2014, 01:18 PM   #36
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm not really interested if music is for the young or old. I am curious to know how someone feels when you lose interest in something you've been holding as special for a long time and suddenly you realise all that has changed.

I shrug and say "Boy, the younger me was kind of an idiot."

Doesn't everyone?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 01:25 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
To me that's a cliche. I reckon I've listened to more musicians in tune with my idea of good music in my mid-to-late 30s than when I was 16 or something. I understand that some people lose interest in stuff as they grow older but it irks me when opinions like yours and Rob's seem to be met with general consensus. Besides, they seem to stem from a wider acknowledgement that the old ''don't get'' the young when it comes to music, when it's also true that the young ''don't get'' the old and often only seem to emulate them, which is useless as far as I am concerned.

I do not think it is about the audiences. It is about the music as appreciated by someone with more experienced ears, and mind.

someone who in their 50's finds that he likes reggae music will likely be equally as adamant about it as someone who finds it when they are 16. It is just that as a youth, you are surrounded by people that are also seeking and also experiencing everything as new, whereas as an oldster (I am 41), you may find yourself the sole person in your group of humans that is interested in what you are seeking. It comes from both a specialization/focus of one's taste, and from the weight of life dragging one and others away from the pursuits which used to seem meaningful and crucial but now seem to be distractions from what is truly important (family, work, sicknesses, atheism... )
Old 06.26.2014, 01:27 PM   #38
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

To be sure, I don't think ANYONE discovers reggae in this 40s or 50s.. With reggae you either find it long before then, or you never do..

After all, most people stumble ass backwards into reggae in some pot smoking haze and don't know half of what they are getting into

Old 06.26.2014, 01:30 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

hahah, maybe a bad example.

I had a painting teacher in college who used to come around to my studio to check my work and talk,a nd I always had music playing and one day I had a mix of King Tubby, Marley, and Lee Perry dub on my little boombox, and he hung to listen,. telling me that Reggae music was the only music that he still loved from the time he was a young man. (He was British).

It still moved him, and he loved listening to it, but he was just as lost on "new" reggae as most 50 year olds, and he had no fucking clue what dub was! He liked it though....

His accent was amazing, "That is quite a lot of reverb on that...."
Old 06.26.2014, 01:33 PM   #40
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

you guys are funny.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth