Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Velvet Cacoon...Best newer Band?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2007, 05:55 PM   #1
XenakisMaster
empty page

XenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant future
The great Band, Velvet Cacoon......such masters.
I just heard them; both albums, "Genevieve" and "NorthSuite"...beauty comparable to the best Sonic Youth has to offer the mighty Universe. Great music for my Tired old Symphony ears.

I had the blessing to meet Sonic Youth at a concert I played (!!!)... at Cooper Union.The music composer, Iannis Xenakis was there and we played some of his music. Kraanerg was the piece by Xenakis. DJ Spooky ran the effects and the volume for the tape that played along with our orchestra. One of the epic experiences of my life. We made a CD too, on Asphodel records, title Kraanerg.

I saw Sonic Youth for my first time in San Diego 2005 Sept or so. I have had their albums for 15 years and always wanted to see them...quite the show...

peace out,
Matthew Scheffelman
Horn Professor, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
Principal Horn, Colorado Springs Philharmonic
space cowboy
XenakisMaster is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2007, 07:01 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
haha uh.

yeah they're okay.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2007, 07:02 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder what's going on with them now since that guy came out and admitted they put other peoples shit out as thier own destroying all credibility ever

Old 03.25.2007, 07:07 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha oh. they actually didn't release anything they actually did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_Cacoon

Old 03.25.2007, 07:47 PM   #5
XenakisMaster
empty page

XenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant futureXenakisMaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
haha oh. they actually didn't release anything they actually did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_Cacoon

Well the two albums i have are them..playing their music "NorthSuite" by Velvet Cacoon is brilliant....they did use some other artists stuff for some other demos...but it was choped screwed distorted beyond reason anyways...but who cares i think they liked the bit of suspect...everyone steals from everyone else, Beethoven stole from Mozart, Brahms stole from Bach, hell, Mozart Stole from Bach.. and admited it...

anyways Velvet Cacoon is a really great band, on Par with Sonic Youth with the same spirit as Sonic Youth...their seed is very cool and I like that they are actually doing some orginal music.
Old 03.25.2007, 09:01 PM   #6
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I wonder what's going on with them now since that guy came out and admitted they put other peoples shit out as thier own destroying all credibility ever

that's nutty. nuttier than milli vanilli.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2007, 09:04 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
who painted xenakis red? is he a fiction?

i haven't bothered to read the links. just someone tell me :P
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
they have new album out now, i haven't heard it yet though.

that band have a history of spreading misinformation about themselves so i would take everything you hear about them with a pinch of salt
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2007, 04:40 PM   #9
XenakisMaster
empty page

Xenakis died in 1999, or 2001 or somthing I forget.. a beautiful man and great composer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
who painted xenakis red? is he a fiction?

i haven't bothered to read the links. just someone tell me :P
Old 03.27.2007, 04:41 PM   #10
XenakisMaster
empty page

I like the suspect with Velvet Caccon, but before I read anything I listened to their music....great........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
they have new album out now, i haven't heard it yet though.

that band have a history of spreading misinformation about themselves so i would take everything you hear about them with a pinch of salt
Old 03.28.2007, 04:02 PM   #11
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenakisMaster
Well the two albums i have are them..playing their music "NorthSuite" by Velvet Cacoon is brilliant....they did use some other artists stuff for some other demos...but it was choped screwed distorted beyond reason anyways...but who cares i think they liked the bit of suspect...everyone steals from everyone else, Beethoven stole from Mozart, Brahms stole from Bach, hell, Mozart Stole from Bach.. and admited it...

anyways Velvet Cacoon is a really great band, on Par with Sonic Youth with the same spirit as Sonic Youth...their seed is very cool and I like that they are actually doing some orginal music.

Everyone steals from everyone else???

eh i don't know about that, most are influenced and borrow certain aspects in that sense... not necessarily steal which is a sensitive word in this case, granted its documented that Velvet Cacoon "stole" from other artists, that is much different than being influenced. I think that is a significant difference, Sonic Youth is influenced amongst many other things by Glenn Branca, Velvet Underground, and many in the NYC No-Wave movement (Mars, DNA...etc) they did not "steal" (though some may try to argue this) like what is accused of Velvet Cacoon, therefore in my mind they are not on "par" w/ Sonic Youth, but more ona level of such acts like Milli Vanilli.

from Wikipedia:
Further controversy surrounds this band in the form of plagiarism accusations. The song "Chesapeake Tide" is also credited to Miranda Lehman aka Korouva and appears on her album "Shipwrecks & Russian Roulette" under the name "Tide"; similarly, the song Velvet Cacoon calls "Candlelit Constellations" is credited to Korouva under the name "Wheat Fields", as well VC have also used photographs and drawings from the same source without permission. It seems that the "highly elusive" Velvet Cacoon demo "How the last day came and stayed then faded into simulated rain" was almost completely plagiarized from Korouva's "Shipwrecks & Russian Roulette", which has been sold through the website 16sparrows since February of 2005, before the release of the Velvet Cacoon Demo and were posted in her Livejournal, in working form, long before any Velvet Cacoon release. Korouva's album has 10 tracks, while VC's demo has 9, though two tracks that can be found in Korouva's Myspace are not in VC's demo. When Confronted with these accusations, Velvet Cacoon deleted their official Myspace music page which contained stolen tracks and artwork from Miranda.
Velvet Cacoon's "Dizzy from Eternity" demo is in fact My Violent Ego's "Clicks & Hisses".
Josh's message taken from their google e-group: "And on the subject of Velvet Cacoon, the band is a total fraud. Nothing about it holds any importance. The "How the Last Day" demo isn't even us. It's Miranda Lehman from Portland. (check the Wiki site). "Dizzy" isn't us. It's "My Violent Ego". Nothing is us. "Northsuite" was recorded in 3 hours and sold to a fake label who paid us enough for rent and substances. That's why its so terrible. We're utter bastards. We have no respect for anything. Now we're beginning the campaign to show just what we've done. We are walking examples of what far too many drugs will do. They make you crave havoc. They make you want to turn the world upside down while laughing like a maniac.

If the above is "true" (i have to question this because some of what is on Wikipedia is NOT legit) then this band Velvet Cacoon is LAME!

i'm sorry but i'm just sick of statements like listen to this band because "they are on par" with Sonic Youth or some other band with a history. what they hell does one band being on par with another really mean anyway? does it mean since we like SY we should like Velvet Cacoon? or is it that they sound like SY? or is it that they steal their music for their own or are heavily influenced? i hate statements like this without any other backup or descriptive elements to describe a band we need to listen to... very interesting coming from someone who is a supposed Professor.

I'm sorry but i'm calling you out here as a fake... maybe i'm wrong but you're whole line of posts is just too ridiculus and bogus for anyone with a mind.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2007, 04:04 PM   #12
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
that's nutty. nuttier than milli vanilli.
milli vanilli is releasing a greatest hits album on april 3rd

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2007, 08:56 PM   #13
XenakisMaster
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
Everyone steals from everyone else???

eh i don't know about that, most are influenced and borrow certain aspects in that sense... not necessarily steal which is a sensitive word in this case, therefore in my mind they are not on "par" w/ Sonic Youth, but more on a level of such acts like Milli Vanilli.

i'm sorry but i'm just sick of statements like listen to this band because "they are on par" with Sonic Youth or some other band with a history. what they hell does one band being on par with another really mean anyway? does it mean since we like SY we should like Velvet Cacoon? . very interesting coming from someone who is a supposed Professor.

I'm sorry but i'm calling you out here as a fake... maybe i'm wrong but you're whole line of posts is just too ridiculus and bogus for anyone with a mind.

Everyone steals, begs, borrows, inlfuenced, whatever you want to call it.
And that was exactly my point....disagree to argue ? There is no sensitive issue here unless you personally have some proof other than a internet site, which I believe is bogus and just for exposure . Funny I thought, after hearing them.

I really dont care about Velvet Cacoon's history, or their lack of respect for their own work, beyond the rumors (however twisted, notice they say "credited to" insted of stolen) strange responses by the band members, it all makes no difference because they have music on a recording, they made SOMETHING that is truly their own. They have two maybe three albums that are not stolen from anyone. They have one tune, about 17minutes long...very beautiful...

Yes, I thought because their music is so similar in spirit to Sonic Youth, others might like them. I rarely hear a band I like, as hundreds of bands a year pass through my CD player, most really suck ass and I can only stand about 10 seconds or I scroll through the album, before it is sent away. Ya my ears are corrupt, I have had SY in my ears for 15+ years, grew up in the SF bay, lived and listened in NYC, Europe, South America, ect.....I love and play, Jazz, punk, death metal, rock, besides every other music in the world except modern Contry Western and most forms of Comercial Pop (over produced, consumer driven teeny-bop frenzy propaganda) .

You are wrong about me being a fake (well, now that you mention it, I question myself all the time)......google my name (yes, I have a career in music). Just because I like some strange music and hear a direct connection to Sonic Youth in it, I am not a Professor? That is funny. You can buy the Xenakis Album at Asphodel's website and see my name on it.(french horn player).

You guys have a hard on for Milli Vanilli eh ? Such crap productions.You guys MUST be Paula Abdul fans...eh? hehe...

Matthew Scheffelman
horn
Old 03.28.2007, 09:10 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenakisMaster
Xenakis died in 1999, or 2001 or somthing I forget.. a beautiful man and great composer.

oh yeah sure by "xenakis" i meant you not him-- it was just shorthand. you have these little red buttons on you that mean that someone (?) hates you, so at first i thought you were not "real"-- i mean an impersonator really-- and then that band's nae sounded like a fiction... you know, like borges's books. but then i googled your "references" so to speak & all checks out!

anyway..

about xenakis, i've been very fond of his work (& his legend too) since i discovered him in grad school, a few years ago. i used to check his records out of various libraries & have a copy of "la legende d'eer" (sorry, no accents on this keyboard).

anyway, that's all... i'm still watching this thread a bit perplexed.
Old 03.28.2007, 09:35 PM   #15
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, it's weird that people have been so hostile in this thread, velvet cacoon are a good band with some excellent songs. they're a lot more melancholic and sombre than SY though.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2007, 10:18 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah, i dont get it--- what did he do wrong??

this board is weird
Old 03.29.2007, 12:14 AM   #17
XenakisMaster
empty page

I agree they are more melancholic and sombre than SY...but I like that change of pace....i play lots of opera and broadway musicials...I need something rude, with the destruction of nature thrown in for good measure.Like when SY "go off" for 20 min in their live shows....I love that. I did not want it to stop when I saw them live.....such musicial beauty.......

thanks, hope all is well,
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
yeah, it's weird that people have been so hostile in this thread, velvet cacoon are a good band with some excellent songs. they're a lot more melancholic and sombre than SY though.
Old 03.29.2007, 12:39 AM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

well let's put this gentleman on the green... it's a shame that he should be pockmarked if he's trying to share good music.

if this is a vast hoax, so be it-- at least it's an entertaining hoax.

ok i found something

http://www.audiolunchbox.com/album?a=71461

---
man i have a powerful whammy! behold my mighty wand! took him from from -2 to +9 squares! im gonna rent myself!

---

hm i like, i like the music! i'll bookmark & check back tomorrow, with bigger speakers!
Old 03.29.2007, 02:15 AM   #19
XenakisMaster
empty page

Ya, is not Xenakis amazing? His history is eevon more intresting.
He came to NYC to coach us on his music , we took him to the Knitting Factory downtown NYC and had a concert of his music....very sweet,we recorded it live and released it on Mode Records...

Then he (Iannis) invited us to Paris to play at Radio France. That was My crowning achivement in New York after my Carnegie Hall debut AND (#1) meeting Sonic Youth at MY own performance at Cooper Union. Funny how things work out...eh? Shit, I am just a skate punk kid from the Bay Area of SF. I never finished any school, I have played music around the world, just bought my first house (closing tomorrow, sweet), offspring on the way in sept.. AND I am a professor, playing great music...heheehehee. living the dream.....

Now, for you NEW YORK people, go check out "NEWBAND"... they play music that is based on Harry Partch's vison of music and scale. Harry Partch invented a scale system that destroy's our "tempered" scale of 12 tones.

blessings,
matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh yeah sure by "xenakis" i meant you not him-- it was just shorthand. you have these little red buttons on you that mean that someone (?) hates you, so at first i thought you were not "real"-- i mean an impersonator really-- and then that band's nae sounded like a fiction... you know, like borges's books. but then i googled your "references" so to speak & all checks out!

anyway..

about xenakis, i've been very fond of his work (& his legend too) since i discovered him in grad school, a few years ago. i used to check his records out of various libraries & have a copy of "la legende d'eer" (sorry, no accents on this keyboard).

anyway, that's all... i'm still watching this thread a bit perplexed.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth