Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page we want Jim!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.18.2007, 09:34 PM   #21
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
When I first heard that Jim was becoming a full-time member, I was a bit disturbed. Not because of my feelings about Jim, but because I was skeptical of any fifth member joining the band. That said, I believe Jim brought a new dimension to the band, but it's hard to say. I don't know how the songs were written, so how would they have been different had he not been there? Who knows? How would the production have been without his input? What I do know is that both records with Jim on board were noty only excellent, but different than anything that preceded them.

Now that it's done, I am kind of happy to see the band back in their "classic" lineup.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2007, 11:03 PM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but that midget fuck did not write songs, he did not write lyrics, he did as he was told.!

oh ha ha, i do not know if i agree with you or not on that post, you make very very good points, but besides all that, i laughed really hard when i read this line, and im still coughing.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2007, 11:14 PM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Jim, gastr del sol, love the freakouts and the crazy covers with the japanese midget old dude, remember that one

shit, this is like some crazy xiu xiu shit!

that song about the leather\daddy and his butthole is crazy!
Old 01.18.2007, 11:14 PM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
man i ma intoxicated on the new stufffff
Old 01.18.2007, 11:32 PM   #25
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
jim was part of the songwriting process during the murray street and
sonic nurse sessions and was a great addition to the youth. his bassline
on "plastic sun" alone justified his inclusion.
jennthebenn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 01:34 AM   #26
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Yes, I want Jim. I paid him upfront to clean my house each week until the end of March. He did it once in December and I haven't seen him since. If you find him, tell him the dust on my radiators is terrible.

Man, I gave Jim a plate of Corn Muffins to paint my chicken coop. And he NEVER DID IT!!! PAINT MY CHICKEN COOP!!!!!

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 01:40 AM   #27
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
jim was superfluous! a neat experiment that ran it's course!

asking for jim back in sonic youth is like asking van halen to go get that poodle head fuck from Extreme because he was just sooo great!

he is the dipshit on the right!

please don't compare Jim O'Rourke to that douchebag. Jim is a great songwriter. The two SY albums he worked on were great. So what if he didn't completewly transform SY's sound. He was just a friend who jumped in the band for a few years. I thought he added a lot of nice element to the SY sound. He was an interesting addition to the band. It's not the end of the world since SY and Jim parted ways. Although Rather Ripped wan't nearly as good as Murray Street or Sonic Nurse. Jim is really talented. Sonic Youth will continue and we will love them. But for now, SY has the great loveable Mark Ibold of Pavement-fame to work with!

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 03:13 AM   #28
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Jim Rocks!!!
Old 01.19.2007, 06:45 AM   #29
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I saw Jim play with sonic youth on two separate tours. He played extra guitar, very much in the background to lee and thurston, and when kim sang up front, jim would play the bass parts of the songs. My references were to the recorded output of sonic youth. not jim improvising on stage.

Dunno, in my opinion his guitar work on album is great.. his contribution to Rain on Tin both live and on record is amazing, just to mention an example... but i understand what you meant ( you did not diss jim or his talent ).
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 10:39 AM   #30
connie kreski
little trouble girl

connie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
...Jim O' Rourke brought a way to texture noise to the music of SY that is undeniable regardless of this or that...

not sure if he really teached sy something about texture noise... or
maybe i've got to listen to CIS and the early years one more time. i
can see the avant-garde stuff/electronica and german muzik but...

connie kreski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 05:08 PM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
please don't compare Jim O'Rourke to that douchebag. Jim is a great songwriter. The two SY albums he worked on were great. So what if he didn't completewly transform SY's sound. He was just a friend who jumped in the band for a few years. I thought he added a lot of nice element to the SY sound. He was an interesting addition to the band. It's not the end of the world since SY and Jim parted ways. Although Rather Ripped wan't nearly as good as Murray Street or Sonic Nurse. Jim is really talented. Sonic Youth will continue and we will love them. But for now, SY has the great loveable Mark Ibold of Pavement-fame to work with!

true, that comparison was a low blow.

I like sonic nurse best, then rather ripped, then murray street.

sonic nurse (which was gonna be called sonic life) is a fucking amazing album
Old 01.20.2007, 09:56 AM   #32
Neverstop
empty page

Neverstop ain't too shabby
I enjoyed Jim being in SY but I'm not going to whine about his moving onto Japan to do movies I would welcome anyone SY sees fit to add to the bank.
I enjoyed watching Jim live and I've enjoyed seeing Mark on this last tour SY ROCKS !!
Old 01.20.2007, 04:54 PM   #33
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Best Jim moments:

bassline to Disconnection Notice --> sooo simple but soooo good, perfect compliment to guitars

Karenology freak out --> 'loop cat' section is Jim at his finest.

Plastic sun bassline - stated

I don't know much about what he's doing on Sonic Nurse...
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2007, 01:01 AM   #34
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
Best Jim moments:

bassline to Disconnection Notice --> sooo simple but soooo good, perfect compliment to guitars

Karenology freak out --> 'loop cat' section is Jim at his finest.

Plastic sun bassline - stated

I don't know much about what he's doing on Sonic Nurse...

I like all that stuff, but his best SY moments were on SYR 3: Invito Al Cielo (though arguably they were two sepperate entities working together at that point.) His contributions to SYR 4 were amazing too. And he was was a major part of why I love NYC Ghosts & Flowers (arguably an SYR album with vocals that they somehow snuck past Geffen but not the pop music critics of the world who cried foul.) He definitely offered tons to the group as a full on collaborator, switching around on three instruments (lets not forget his awesome synth touches) live, and the member of the band who spent the most time working on mixes at Echo Canyon for every record he was on (as the echo cam continually used to show.) Honestly, I wonder if the loss of their home studio had something to do with his decision to depart - I don't think he worked with them anywhere else on recordings.

That said, I'm fine with him moving on and the "classic" line-up getting back to work. I even like Rather Ripped o.k., though I hope they remember the sonic part of their roots a bit more on their next outing. They probably will, as they tend to follow their more "accessible" records with ones that are bit noisier.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2007, 04:46 AM   #35
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
wasn't he just sleeping on the couch all the time?
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2007, 09:21 AM   #36
Markrutconn
empty page

Markrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's assesMarkrutconn kicks all y'all's asses
Jim was fine I suppose but I prefer “classic” Sonic Youth. Murray Street is my least favorite Sonic Youth album.
Markrutconn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2007, 09:27 AM   #37
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Moronic

That picture has officially made Jim jump from high in the 'Men who I think are attractive' list to 'men who I would seriously consider bumming, in spite of my being entirely straight' list. In this he joins the ranks of Prince, Timberlake and Blixa Bargeld. Good work Jim!

I like SY with Jim. I like SY without him. He brought some things. He took some of those things away. Life goes on, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2007, 10:04 AM   #38
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Confucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's asses
Jim is a babe. I wouldn't need to be bereft of limbs or in a persistent vegetative state if he wanted me for half a threeway, that's for sure.
Old 01.21.2007, 12:54 PM   #39
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Thomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucious is sex
Jim is a babe. I wouldn't need to be bereft of limbs or in a persistent vegetative state if he wanted me for half a threeway, that's for sure.
Ditto.

Thomas Moronic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2007, 05:59 PM   #40
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
That picture has officially made Jim jump from high in the 'Men who I think are attractive' list to 'men who I would seriously consider bumming, in spite of my being entirely straight' list. In this he joins the ranks of Prince, Timberlake and Blixa Bargeld. Good work Jim!

I like SY with Jim. I like SY without him. He brought some things. He took some of those things away. Life goes on, I guess.

I'd only do him if he wore the bunny suit.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth