Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pavement ripped off the Fall
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.21.2006, 04:25 AM   #21
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i'm saying nothing till Hip Priest makes his sermon..
Old 04.21.2006, 06:04 AM   #22
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Listen to New Face In Hell by The Fall and then Conduit For Sale! by Pavement. Then you will now why Mark talks shit about them

totally right. malkmus has fully admitted that he ripped off the fall donkeys years ago he also said that "its not like i or anyone else got rich from simply ripping off mark e smith"

no big deal, mark e hates anything that resembles his influence, he is an odd being, an unique creature and one who should be applauded and why not rip him off, everyone is guilty of ripping off someone, even id say sy have ripped off the fall in the past, they have said that they were one of the bands that they formed sy to be like, shit mark is even in the teenage riot homage to heroes video!.......... dont get the pavement/mbv/slowdive connection tho!
Old 04.21.2006, 06:08 AM   #23
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses

look malkmus even ripped off his image... they couldve been separated at birth!!!!!!!!
Old 04.21.2006, 06:18 AM   #24
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i think malky looks like that geeky dude, Murray in Malibu CA,
Old 04.21.2006, 06:21 AM   #25
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah mark e smith is always a difficult customer, and is frequently saying disagreeable things about one person or another. i think he said SY was music for students, he called nick cave a typical work shy australian (to his face i belive) he's punched out his band members before.... pavement were very good, but you can't seriously compare them to the fall.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 06:24 AM   #26
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

pavement were great in their prime, the first 3 albums are classics but the fall are the fall. always the same, always different, always there and always the fall. probably the 4th most important band in rock n roll history!
Old 04.21.2006, 07:19 AM   #27
connie kreski
little trouble girl

connie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant future
yeah, there's a lot of similar things that can be heard on grotesque that helped pavement to
built their songs... malkmus admit it i think on the slow century dvd. he says "...(showing
slanted & enchanted in the record store) this is for fall's fans..."

even the way MES pronouces/shouts his cryptic lyrics (pay the rate) has been ripped off, the
catchy riffs, the drums sometimes (hip priest vs our singer) from hex enduction hour...

yeah, pavement is a fucking rip-off and IT WAS A DAMN GOOD IDEA TO RIP THE FALL!!!
it could have been worst.

connie kreski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 09:23 AM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I can't stand Pavement. I'm surprised that there are people who like both the Fall and Pavement. Malkmus' voice is super-annoying (to me), the first album is rampantly derivative, the further albums just a bit lame and not worth they hype. I'm surprised this is even a debate, but then, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them listen to the Fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 09:30 AM   #29
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not crazy about the Fall..and i really tried to like them. They have a few good tracks here and there, but considering their output, i think they r overhyped as legends b/c they were around during a crucial time period for underground music.

Mark E Smith is almost completely non-musical to me compared to Malkmus.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 10:02 AM   #30
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechex
I'm not crazy about the Fall..and i really tried to like them. They have a few good tracks here and there, but considering their output, i think they r overhyped as legends b/c they were around during a crucial time period for underground music.

Mark E Smith is almost completely non-musical to me compared to Malkmus.

Interesting. I think they're one of the few people who aren't overhyped... they've been together since the late 70's and, if you're into them, have done at least 20 very, very good LP's, and not very many dodgy ones. Their second most recent is widely regarded as one of their better ones, and the general quality of their output is, to most Fall fans minds, unsurpassed.

Malkmus is an all right musician, but the difference between the Fall and most bands is that it isn't really about one musician being great, it's quite the opposite - it's about a group, playing a song, with little to no indulgence from any of the members, and a lyricist who stands over and above most lyricists I can think of.

Sillly of me to debate it, you don't like it, I do... meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 10:04 AM   #31
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
I heard that Mark E. Smith hate everybody

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 12:09 PM   #32
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe b/c i'm a musician, i feel it's boring musically. I'm not trying to be a snob or anything. But some of the tunes regarded as classics are three unoriginal chords strung together and MArk E throwing some words in here and there.

Thery're more about style. But i'm a huge pavement fan. Malkmus i think picked up his style early on but that was about it.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 12:19 PM   #33
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
Fuck that, tell me anything off of Wowee Zowee or crooked rain sounds like the fall, Mark is just mad cause he has birtish teeth and is not successful.
Finn from the sopranos looks like malkmus

http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 12:36 PM   #34
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPfrey05
Mark is just mad cause he has birtish teeth and is not successful.

priceless!!

Jesus, Malky does look like that finn guy.
Old 04.21.2006, 12:51 PM   #35
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

look malkmus even ripped off his image... they couldve been separated at birth!!!!!!!!

There is a certain similarity (well, sort of!):

THe problem is that The Fall have such an identifiable and original sound; very few people sound anything like them, so when someone does sound like them, the claims of rip-off are inevitable.

The Fall's massive influence on Pavement is undeniable, absolutely clear in song style, structure, lyrics, artwork and vocal delivery. Having said that, I think that basically Pavement took The Fall's concept and made it very American. I also think there's a difference in that Malkmus's words are written ads lyrics, whereas MES's were originally intended as poetry (ie without musical accompaniment) - I think that shows through to an extent.

It's inevitable that we are influenced by what we like, and it happens across all art forms - I think whether that influence constitutes 'homage' or 'rip-off' depends upon how you feel about the two subjects.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 01:02 PM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I just do not see it past slanted and enchanted

once they became a BAND, a full band, they developed their own idiosyncratic pavement sound, and it sounds nothing like the fall. nothing on crooked rain, wowee zowee, brighten the corners, or watery domestic sounds like the fall.

"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Old 04.21.2006, 01:08 PM   #37
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I just do not see it past slanted and enchanted

once they became a BAND, a full band, they developed their own idiosyncratic pavement sound, and it sounds nothing like the fall. nothing on crooked rain, wowee zowee, brighten the corners, or watery domestic sounds like the fall.

"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I agree that by 'Wowee Zowee' or so the musical influence had become much more diluted. Like I said though, that kind of lyrical composition and delivery are very distinctively MES. It just so happens that that kind of lyrical composition and delivery have never become widespread.

I'm not a Pavement fan (I like Wowee ZOwee though), but I can see that MAlkmus progressed things. MES was right to notice the similarity at the start though.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 01:12 PM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
quite frankly though, the single most "ripped off" British band of the last 30 years was and is and will continue to be WIRE.
the undeground owes them a good reach around.

can someone list the top 3 FALL albums that FALL novices should get. the ones that sound the most distinctively FALL-like?
Old 04.21.2006, 01:31 PM   #39
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
really? Wire got heavily ripped off? by who? Wire is the shit though. i only have Pink Flag. i really want missing chairs. Send was really good too, especially for a bunch of old guys.
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 01:50 PM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

If you listent o PINK FLAG you can hear the germs of what was to become pretty much every indie underground scene in the 80's and 90's. You can hear the post punk, the guitar tones. you can hear the musical ideas which would spring forth in later bands. it is wonderful. that is how art works.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth