Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.28.2009, 11:12 PM   #61
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
My father was raised Catholic, my mother was raised Lutheran.

My parents pretty much raised me to be Christian, but not in line with any church. I have a rather negative outlook on churches because they all seemed to be preaching a distorted Christ. I've always thought of Christ as tolerant, loving, and ultimately forgiving, but in every church I've seen lack of tolerance, hatred, judging, and damnation. But I think that might not just be the church, I think that might just be fucking humankind in general.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 11:15 PM   #62
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr
apparently, there are some 'christians' who think that catholics aren't christians. How fucked up is that?

George fucking bush is the worst christian on the planet
True that!
Also, I like the fact that many religions are truly Christian (i.e. believe in God). I like it because apparently many Catholics think they are first on God's list because they believe in God "the most."
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 11:19 PM   #63
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
good bumper sticker: Hate is not a family value.
Old 12.28.2009, 11:25 PM   #64
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
And what is unclear, vague, or ambiguous about 'thou shalt not kill'
Old 12.29.2009, 02:19 AM   #65
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr
And what is unclear, vague, or ambiguous about 'thou shalt not kill'
Everything. Taken to its most extreme, its impossible and contradictory.

What is the life that can be killed?
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 02:21 AM   #66
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
At the risk of saying anything... I'm a swimming world of NO but also 'but...' with regards that.
No risk at all because, shying some context, I have no idea what you mean.

Hope you don't mind.
Old 12.29.2009, 02:28 AM   #67
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsygrrl
many Catholics think they are first on God's list because they believe in God "the most."
What Catholics do you know? The Catholic condition that I grew up with was the complete polar opposite. Catholic guilt, and all.

Then again, a lot of traditional Catholicism has been tainted by that even more repulsive born-again trash.
Old 12.29.2009, 02:36 AM   #68
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
every sperm is sacred

Quote:
ahh, the psychology of sexuality stiffled by catholics..

I want to make it clear, though, that I absolutely oppose this assumption that the source of this apparent army of the faithless from Catholicism is necessarily originates in its oppressive sexuality. That may be a comfortable idea for the remaining faithful to consider the lot to be carnal hedonists but they're wrong.

If anything, I've met lapsed Catholics that are more spiritually awake than your most fundamentalist believers of any faith.
Old 12.29.2009, 02:47 AM   #69
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Same here; raised Catholic. I excommunicated myself years ago, but the damage was already done. Buddhism sounds peaceful and genuine. The Jewish faith sounds pretty cool also.
I say no to Jehovah's Witness, Holy Rollers, or those who speak in tongues, tho.
Turning atheist for me wasn't anything to do with oppressive views of catholicism or the church, it just seemed like
the most natural way of thinking when I've adopted Marxism . I can't really claim to have had particularly bad experiences with any religious people of any faith either.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 03:02 AM   #70
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Roman Catholic, although all my family is perfectly atheist.
I don't even remember now how I turned up to have a faith.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 03:13 AM   #71
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I don't even remember now how I turned up to have a faith.

I remember. You were strapped for cash and started a thread in which you sold your soul to the highest bidder. In the last few seconds of the auction the Vatican managed to outbid me by 20 cents.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 03:16 AM   #72
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Wonder what would have happened if you had won?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 03:31 AM   #73
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I'm just a soul broker. You know, trying to make a small profit here and there.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 07:48 AM   #74
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
No risk at all because, shying some context, I have no idea what you mean.

Hope you don't mind.

Fair. It's all to do with the impossibility of escaping the epistemic, and what the notion of 'orthodoxy' means in that context. I tend to think of theism as the prima facie of epistemics, but I've no intention of arguing about it on a messageboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 08:02 AM   #75
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I just don't understand how someone thinks unified christianity would improve the world in any sense. Wasn't it a bit worse and more intolerant before?

I can't stop thinking that religion should be a private thing. I don't see the point of preaching it to someone who's not really asking for it. (I am not talking about anyone here).

If you really wanna improve the world, stop mixing religious bias with politics and laws, that's gonna be work for generations anyway.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 08:05 AM   #76
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
My father was raised Catholic, my mother was raised Lutheran.

My parents pretty much raised me to be Christian, but not in line with any church. I have a rather negative outlook on churches because they all seemed to be preaching a distorted Christ. I've always thought of Christ as tolerant, loving, and ultimately forgiving, but in every church I've seen lack of tolerance, hatred, judging, and damnation. But I think that might not just be the church, I think that might just be fucking humankind in general.

Humans love to belong.

Old 12.29.2009, 10:42 AM   #77
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
inhumans hate to belong
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 10:55 AM   #78
knox
invito al cielo

good logic. not necessarily true tho.

Old 12.29.2009, 10:59 AM   #79
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
True that!
Also, I like the fact that many religions are truly Christian (i.e. believe in God). I like it because apparently many Catholics think they are first on God's list because they believe in God "the most."

"christian" does NOT mean you believe in god.

It means you believe, SPECIFICALLY, that Jesus Christ was the one and only incarnate Son of God, that he was God made man here on Earth, and that his "sacrifice" redeemed all humans from all sins from the beginning of time to the end of time.

very different than believeing in "GOD"
Old 12.29.2009, 11:06 AM   #80
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
my mother is Lutheran.

I'm a monotheistic pagan.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
inhumans hate to belong

tell that to Dr. Frankenstein's monster; or, say, the lion, the tinman and that little dog.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth