Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.09.2010, 06:50 AM   #261
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Christians are not an extreme minority in Egypt: it's difficult to find estimates, but I believe the proportion of Christians in Egypt is higher than in Jordan or Syria (10-15%? mainly in Middle Egypt...). They are a minority, but a rather powerful one that - as far as I know - has historically always occupied some important positions economically or in the intellectual elite...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2010, 09:55 AM   #262
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/op...html?th&emc=th
Old 01.11.2010, 03:19 PM   #263
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o o o
Christians are not an extreme minority in Egypt: it's difficult to find estimates, but I believe the proportion of Christians in Egypt is higher than in Jordan or Syria (10-15%? mainly in Middle Egypt...). They are a minority, but a rather powerful one that - as far as I know - has historically always occupied some important positions economically or in the intellectual elite...

The CIA fact book says 9% copts, 1% protestants.. but the Copts I know here in LA tell me there are more Copts in the US/Europe than in Egypt proper, and the Coptic diaspora is approx 1-2million. Pope Shenouda III himself comes and stays at my friends house when His Holiness travels to Los Angeles area, and holds a High Mass at my local Coptic parish (copts and tewahedo are in full communion so I am a member of both my local Ethiopian parish and my local Coptic parish) however His Holiness is the one who asserts that claims of 10%. US studies have put the figures between 3.4-5% which is significantly lower and is more reflective of what the local Coptic populations in diaspora tell me..

my mistake on the Syria/Jordan. I was using outdated references in my mind, Jordan at a times been above 15% and Syria above 40% but those are not contemporary. However, the dominance of Christians in both Syria and Jordan makes them look like a more significant population, but this is because Jordan and Syria are homes to some of both the origins of Christianity and the longest continuous Christian communities in the world.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
111213 14
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth