Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 10 electronica artists...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.16.2008, 12:08 PM   #41
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Max Matthews

New name on me - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:09 PM   #42
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Yasunao Tone

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 07.16.2008, 12:16 PM   #43
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
boards of canada
fennesz
kode9
ltj bukem
chris clark
tim hecker
deaf center
loscil
burial
carbon based lifeforms
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:16 PM   #44
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
New name on me - any good?

Max Matthews created MUSIC I, the first music software ever, which in turn allowed synthesis of electronic sounds on computers instead of the available synthesizers-like technology at that time (around 1956, if I am not wrong). Pretty much the first instrument simulator software ever. Try finding his article 'The Digital Computer as a Music Instrument' if you can, 'cause it's well worth your time regardless of your approach to music making.

Obviously he is a genius.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:22 PM   #45
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Max Matthews created MUSIC I, the first music software ever, which in turn allowed synthesis of electronic sounds on computers instead of the available synthesizers-like technology at that time (around 1956, if I am not wrong). Pretty much the first instrument simulator software ever. Try finding his article 'The Digital Computer as a Music Instrument' if you can, 'cause it's well worth your time regardless of your approach to music making.

Obviously he is a genius.

he did a version of A Bicycle Built For Two that is pretty incredible, and only about 20 seconds long if i remember corectly.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:25 PM   #46
Glice
invito al cielo

Cool, I shall hunt that down at some point. I'm quite a fan of the earlier (academic) stuff, which is why the alleged 'high-brow' 'electronica' comes across to me as pleasant enough but a bit soporific.

Anyway.

Quote:
Old 07.16.2008, 12:25 PM   #47
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
he did a version of A Bicycle Built For Two that is pretty incredible, and only about 20 seconds long if i remember corectly.

And you can find some of his music on the early electronic music gurus compilations. I'll upload some of these if anyone is interested.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:26 PM   #48
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i dunno batreleaser you pretty much got it honestly.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:27 PM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
glad you didn't list venetian snares by the way. 100% overrated hack. though i like a couple of his albums...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:30 PM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
And you can find some of his music on the early electronic music gurus compilations. I'll upload some of this if anyone is interested.

I listened to half of one of them, couldn't really be bothered. I got the sense from listening to the songs that I'd much rather have whole pieces rather than shorter versions.

Quote:
Old 07.16.2008, 12:32 PM   #51
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
And you can find some of his music on the early electronic music gurus compilations. I'll upload some of this if anyone is interested.

Have you ever checked out the label Creel Pone?

http://www.orkstorm.com/creelpone/
Old 07.16.2008, 12:36 PM   #52
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I listened to half of one of them, couldn't really be bothered. I got the sense from listening to the songs that I'd much rather have whole pieces rather than shorter versions.

Hunting down a lot of this stuff is either impossible or dries up your funds. I listen pretty much to any early electronic music all the time and never find it tiring because what a lot of what these people did was quite amazing considering that not only thye were the players but a lot of the time also the inventors or developers of these machines.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:36 PM   #53
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Have you ever checked out the label Creel Pone?

http://www.orkstorm.com/creelpone/

Yes.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 12:52 PM   #54
sarramkrop

This thread can't be complate without a mention for Donald Buchla, one of the most important inventors of synthesizers and electronic music software.

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 01:08 PM   #55
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hunting down a lot of this stuff is either impossible or dries up your funds. I listen pretty much to any early electronic music all the time and never find it tiring because what a lot of what these people did was quite amazing considering that not only thye were the players but a lot of the time also the inventors or developers of these machines.

Yeah, seen.

I have a theory that the best musicians do what they do in spite of their instrument's limitations (actually, the truth of the matter is that there's no such thing as the 'perfect instrument', they're all flawed somehow). With the first 20-30 years of electronic instruments people either made the best of a bad lot (early hip-hop/ tapeloopers/ your TGs and Cabs) or invented an instrument to articulate their thoughts (your Buchlas and the like) or explored but didn't transpose new ideas to new instruments (Oliveros/ Cage/ Stockhausen etc). When you get to the realm of standardised instruments (the moog/ 'commercial' synthesisers) people tend to stick to set formats, which can be wonderful (techno, HHC, DnB) or fiddle about with inappropriate structures (I'm thinking of dire indie with synths).

Quote:
Old 07.16.2008, 02:58 PM   #56
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i havnt seen kid606 mentioned, hes had some great records.

i didnt wanna mention composers like stockuahsen, thats like listing the best point guards in history of the nba, then going, "michael jordan".

i think a lot of people would be surprised that im into electronic hip hop beats too, like te first dj shadow album.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 04:17 PM   #57
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Two classics mid-90s records:

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 05:31 PM   #58
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

i don't really count dj shadow as electronic (at least his earlier stuff) as there are no electronic sounds, i know samplers count are technically electronic, but then so are guitar pedals. otherwise i'd have mentioned endtroducing.
Old 07.17.2008, 03:11 AM   #59
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

pop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's asses
Future Sound of London
Bola
Carl Craig
Autechre
Burial
Move D
Kirk Degiorgio a.k.a. As One
The Orb
LCD Soundsystem
Underworld
Old 07.17.2008, 03:25 AM   #60
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i havnt seen kid606 mentioned, hes had some great records.

Kid 606 has a few good tracks and that's about it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth