Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page so many shitty surf bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.26.2008, 09:17 AM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
They Might Be Giants had some songs inspired by surf bands, if memory doesn't fail me.

they have songs inspired by nearly every single genre of american music

and then some

"Hearing Aid" is morrissey
Old 08.26.2008, 08:49 PM   #22
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
they have songs inspired by nearly every single genre of american music

and then some

"Hearing Aid" is morrissey
Look, bad taste is bad taste, yeah?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2008, 08:54 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
that is what I say about surf music sarramkrop.

beauty lies in the eye
Old 08.27.2008, 09:01 AM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
How can someone write off an entire GENRE?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2008, 09:16 AM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

because it bores that someone to megalithic tears?

life is LONG. the varieties of music available atre overwhelming. even if you never ever listen to anything but BEBOP, there are literally THOUSANDS of recordings to enjoy. nNOT listening to a specific genre really does not diminish anything of one's life. you will never get to hear everything ayway so you may as well be selective about what you do listen to.

I wrote off (as in oplease do not play it near me ever) these "genres"

surf music
R&B
slow jams
polka
Tejano/Ranchero
mariachi
smooth jazz
blue eyed soul

abnd it still leaves me with a near infinity of musical genres and bands and artists to explore

Rock (in all it's myriad colors)
jazz (in most of it's colors)
classical music (almost 2 thousand years of music)
Funk
Soul
avant shit
free improv
THE BLUES

just in those select genres are enough bands/artists/recoridngs to satiate me for ten lifetimes, without ever having to hear fucking SURF MUSIC
Old 08.27.2008, 09:22 AM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Uh, if you say so. I think that's quite close-minded, really, but sure!

If a band's worth listening to, they're worth listening to. I wouldn't write off a genre; I don't even pay attention to genre usually unless there's nothing but good bands in a certain genre (like American primitive guitar or surf music; no artists from those genres have ever let me down).

Also, life is short... But let's say you live 75 years; fuck, I've already heard, roughly, tens of thousands of albums in my lifetime so far (22 years)... in 50 years from now, I'll have hopefully heard 4 or 5 times that many. I'm gonna wanna branch out even more than I already do.

I just don't understand what's so particularly awful about surf music that you'd include it next to soul or R&B, stuff that most people here would despise. Surf rock bands have amazing riffs, tight playing, interesting song structures, cool melodies -- it's pure ear candy. If you're going to write off whole genres, that seems like one of the last ones (and definitely one of the least offensive ones) to write off.

But... to each their own. Ugh.

Also, surf rock is usually just fast rock music with tremolo picking and lots of staccato playing. And you clearly have no problem with rock. I don't see what the problem is here.

Old 08.27.2008, 10:06 AM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

everything you describe is EXACTLY why I do not enjoy surf rock music
boring boring boring

wait till you get older and life intrdes upon your musicl listening experience. even the most die hard among uis has to learn to be selective. that's just life. You'll see.

(I turn 35 in 2 days and let me tells ya, I am lucky not to have a family and kids when it comes to my music buying budget. that shit goes out the window when the kids appear man.)

also, you and I are from different generations. I do not download much music. I do not use soulseek nor any other file sharing thing, and only download when it is offered by the band or musician themselves.
I spend my hard earned money on music and I will not give even a tiny cent to something I don;t like. it's just personal taste.
Old 08.27.2008, 09:11 PM   #28
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
that cat is definitely not doing a kickflip.

its a heelflip. His front foot is coming towards the camera. If it was a kick flip, his foot would have to go the other way.

seriously, I know you all played tony hawk...maybe even tony hawk 2?

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2008, 09:55 PM   #29
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
everything you describe is EXACTLY why I do not enjoy surf rock music
boring boring boring

it's just personal taste.

You're putting it as nice as possible there. (Although Rob certainly didn't put it nicely when he named the topic sensationally and included the modifier "shitty.") Now I will never expect everyone, indeed anyone, to have the same tastes as my own, but I will strongly aver via empirical knowledge that I do know what makes good art good and good music good moreso than most and that, in the end, it simply comes down to aesthetics. And aesthetically, surf rock is a subgenre that, although not entirely devoid of any merit, is essentially hackneyed and unchallenging. I simply will not ever be that guy who listens to or cares about every Tom, Dick, and Harry to assume surf rock's formulaic and, yes, boring mantle. It arose from a notoriously empty-headed subculture, and these days contemporary surf rock performers clearly deal in novelty and not art.

Obviously, every passionate fan of rock should know the surf rock pioneers like Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, The Chantays and The Surfaris, so please don't put words in my mouth and start to mislabel my sentiments with spin control and nonsense and misunderstanding begat by willful malignant ignorance. The artists above and their stylistic peers made some exceedingly fun and energetic recordings that capture a moment in time and should never be forgotten. So there you go. To argue that I'm ignoring a whole genre is not even accurate. Artists like Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan and The Beatles brought poetry into popular rock music, and the highly instrumental style present in surf rock is simply no longer valid. And it is no longer valid for those that experience the world with a depth of feeling similar to my own.

Instrumental noise is not valid either unless it deals with complex emotion through its sublime tones and textures. It's all a fine line, and I certainly understand why someone may disagree. Life is a process and such is only bound to happen accordingly.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2008, 10:07 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

As usual, atari, I appreciate the detailed and thoughtful response, but... man, it's just good and interesting rock music. Good riffs and shit. Not much more to say about it than that.

Old 08.27.2008, 10:12 PM   #31
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
As usual, atari, I appreciate the detailed and thoughtful response, but... man, it's just good and interesting rock music. Good riffs and shit. Not much more to say about it than that.

You should appreciate it because it's clear that you have a limited amount of thoughts and words at your disposal at any given time. Again, I go back to the depth of feeling exposition that I alluded to earlier.

But really, it's just great that you like to steal ideas and riffs from surf rock and change it up for a more modern music. I'm being sarcastic here, but not entirely. Ha.
Old 08.27.2008, 10:15 PM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yes, indeed. It is good to know that I have found God on the sonic youth gossip board. Thank you, oh sweet master mystikal for showing me the way!

......Even when you smugly condescend to everyone who posts "not-cool humor", it amuses me. And I'm not being sarcastic when I say I do appreciate your thoughtful posts. I just, you know, don't agree with most of them.

Old 08.27.2008, 11:07 PM   #33
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yes, indeed. It is good to know that I have found God on the sonic youth gossip board. Thank you, oh sweet master mystikal for showing me the way!

......Even when you smugly condescend to everyone who posts "not-cool humor", it amuses me. And I'm not being sarcastic when I say I do appreciate your thoughtful posts. I just, you know, don't agree with most of them.

So...I get mocked and villyfied for merely stating my point of view articulately? I suppose that's the way it goes around here in dumbland.

As far as really finding some semblance of God, if you know anything about me at all you'll know I'll suggest looking to the New Testament, Kierkegaard, or Dostoyevsky. You are a Western male, you know. If you're too close-minded for Christianity than go for the I-Ching or Tao Te Ching. Moreover, put some time in for silent meditation.

Religious texts too taxing? Make some time for Einstein.
Old 08.27.2008, 11:22 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_willkillyou
that cat is definitely not doing a kickflip.

its a heelflip. His front foot is coming towards the camera. If it was a kick flip, his foot would have to go the other way.

seriously, I know you all played tony hawk...maybe even tony hawk 2?

true

I was the most unbalanced skater ever
Old 08.27.2008, 11:24 PM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh please, almost all your posts come off as condescending. Don't act shocked. I don't even care, I find it amusing; I'm certainly only mocking the parts of your posts worth mocking. I do find your posts entertaining in their smugness and I appreciate the research and knowledge that goes into them, even when you probably say a little more than is necessary to get your point across. I'm guilty of that too though so hey.

Also, you went back and edited the post I originally replied to for some reason. And I don't even know what point you're trying to make with that last statement, so explain it to my idiot mind... Are you accusing me personally of stealing ideas from surf rock or are you making some kind of broad statement?

Old 08.27.2008, 11:28 PM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Let's talk about how we feel about rockabilly too.
Old 08.27.2008, 11:34 PM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha. Rockabilly... rockabilly..

Jangley guitars are cool.

Old 08.28.2008, 04:07 AM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I wrote off (as in oplease do not play it near me ever) these "genres"

surf music
abnd it still leaves me with a near infinity of musical genres and bands and artists to explore

jazz (in most of its colors)
THE BLUES
Rock (in all its myriad colors)
Soul
Funk

I've left out 'avant shit' 'free improv' and 'classical' and re-ordered this list in order to point out that you've just provided a list of 20th-century Western popular music. I wouldn't say that's terrifically broad myself. It's expansive but not terrifically broad. Do you see?

Furthermore, isn't surf one of rock's 'myriad colours'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2008, 04:12 AM   #39
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
wait till you get older and life intrdes upon your musicl listening experience. even the most die hard among uis has to learn to be selective. that's just life. You'll see.

This is condescending bullshit. Personally, I disagree with the overwhelming majority of bands Herr Park listens to, but I genuinely admire his vim and passion for listening to as much stuff as he can get his hands on. He probably will end up finding a few genres he enjoys more than others, but that's down to personal experience, not down to certain genres being better. He's yet to dismiss any genre. More power, I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2008, 05:37 AM   #40
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

(I turn 35 in 2 days and let me tells ya, I am lucky not to have a family and kids when it comes to my music buying budget. that shit goes out the window when the kids appear man.)

i'm sorry to have to totally agree with this.
I earn acceptable wages but HOUSE + KIDS = no new CDs
slsk , advance copies i get and the odd CD from Marketplace
sad...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth