Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page RnR Hall Of Fame Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.15.2009, 03:31 PM   #21
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
KISS are terrible, but RHCP at least has one of the best guitarists ever (Frusciante) in its ranks.
Yeah, who did all his best stuff when he wasn't even in the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Rage Against the Machine are the shittest band ever by the way.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 03:57 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm kind of surprised by this. I know you're into a lot of things that I can't abide, and I really hate to say this but... are you being ironic?

Nope, just american.

the first 5 RHCP (Red Hot Chili peppers, Freakey Styley, Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mother's Milk, and Blood Sugar Sex magic) are great man! have some goddamn fun! I know the brits do not like the funk, and what funk they do like is watered down fey shit , but man, back in day day, when the early RHCP, the early jane's Addiction, early Faith No More, all those acts rocked it out man.

I know they were and are ridiculous, that anthony kiedis is probably the single worst rock lyricist ever, but man did they have fun and get the kids (including me) amped up. they brought P-Funk's absurdity and hallucinogenic qualities to the funk-rock (a much maligned yet deserving of such malignancy subgenre, for sure). indie/alternative rock these days is severely missing a sense of humor.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Subway to Venus (live on Night Music)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pgYrRQvDnU
Old 12.15.2009, 03:58 PM   #23
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
This whole Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame shebang is turning out to be an unmitigated catastrophe.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 04:02 PM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
yes it is.

the best part used to be the all star jams at the inductions, but those are few and far between.

the anniversary concert was allright. hearing ray Davies sing with metallica as his backing band was cool. and hearing Ozzy do paranoid with metalica was FUCKING AWESOME
Old 12.15.2009, 04:22 PM   #25
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
RHCP were a little interesting in 1980s. Yeah, they did get you amped Rob but is my generation going to experience what you felt in the 80s? Hell no. They are forever imprinted in my mind as a completely shit band who were sorta fun in the 80s and had a junkie guitarist who made some of the best music ever. Whatever.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 04:23 PM   #26
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
I can't believe that Ringo isn't in there as an individual like the rest of moptops.......Glice your use of adjectives is priceless..hahaa

like Rob at one time I listened to RHCP. today I'd rather vomit. Looking at the rest of the place Donna Summers got screwed.
Old 12.15.2009, 04:27 PM   #27
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Nope, just american.

the first 5 RHCP (Red Hot Chili peppers, Freakey Styley, Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mother's Milk, and Blood Sugar Sex magic) are great man! have some goddamn fun! I know the brits do not like the funk, and what funk they do like is watered down fey shit , but man, back in day day, when the early RHCP, the early jane's Addiction, early Faith No More, all those acts rocked it out man.

I know they were and are ridiculous, that anthony kiedis is probably the single worst rock lyricist ever, but man did they have fun and get the kids (including me) amped up. they brought P-Funk's absurdity and hallucinogenic qualities to the funk-rock (a much maligned yet deserving of such malignancy subgenre, for sure). indie/alternative rock these days is severely missing a sense of humor.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Subway to Venus (live on Night Music)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pgYrRQvDnU

I'm not going to make a a sweeping general comment about the Chillis, only having heard little bits from their pre-Blood albums, but just two comments. A) I don't appreciate you saying that the Brits can't appreciate funk on the grounds that 80s/90s funk metal never hit big here, especially considering that real funk is still much loved here, and we produced THIS and B) At the very least, the Chillis' cover of Subterranean Homesick Blues (which I believe is early?) makes me more genuinely ANGRY than pretty much any other piece of recorded music.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 04:33 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

no one on sonic youth forum can take a joke anymore.

I was not talking about funk-metal, from the 90's

the chili pepps were doing their thing in 84-85, so was faith no more, early jane's addiction etc.
Old 12.15.2009, 04:34 PM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
RHCP were a little interesting in 1980s. Yeah, they did get you amped Rob but is my generation going to experience what you felt in the 80s? Hell no. They are forever imprinted in my mind as a completely shit band who were sorta fun in the 80s and had a junkie guitarist who made some of the best music ever. Whatever.

they had TWO junkie guiitarists.

Hillel Slovak was fucking AWESOME
Old 12.15.2009, 05:04 PM   #30
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
The very idea of a "rock&roll hall of fame" sounds like an oxymoron. Also, it makes me want to vomit, like some kind of pompous, grandiloquent institution, you know. Hey.
(but then again I find that "rock&roll" philosophy ridiculous in the first place, and same thing for hall of fames.)
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 05:29 PM   #31
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Nope, just american.

The Brits, the nation who noticed, respected, and gave a home to every brilliant dance movement that America didn't want, really don't get the funk. America, meanwhile, will accept an ameliorated version of its own brilliance so long as it's made by white people, poorly.

I think you're confusing 'sense of humour' with 'convulsive tumour'. Easily done, as they do rhyme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 05:30 PM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Rage Against the Machine are the shittest band ever by the way.
You make a fair an agreeable point, good sire.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.15.2009, 06:00 PM   #33
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
i'll confess to quite liking that one song by the RHCP about a scooter.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 06:58 PM   #34
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
i'll confess to quite liking that one song by the RHCP about a scooter.
Cunt.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2009, 09:06 PM   #35
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I love some reggae, but yeah, Jimmy Cliff's vocals always turned me off. I'd take Burning Spear or Peter Tosh any day of the week.

The Stooges should just be inducted alone....either way, it's just a tourist attraction.

It's funny that "casual" music fans will come up to me (you too prob.) and think I would give a shit about this stuff. Oh well, at least it's fun when people look at you as a music dude and want to talk to you about it.
Old 12.15.2009, 09:33 PM   #36
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
no one on sonic youth forum can take a joke anymore.

Well I don't know about anyone else, but in my case blame any sarcasm I miss on my being really fucking tired, crotchety, and pushed with deadlines right now. Accept for that Dylan cover. Just fuck that shit entirely, at any time of day or level wakefulness.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth