Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.26.2006, 10:56 PM   #21
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I also like the exchangeable cards in the jewel case...Sometimes I use the green card with Kim and the yellow star at the end of her guitar neck.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 10:57 PM   #22
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Master-Dik isn't part of the original LP. It is a CD Bonus Track.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 10:57 PM   #23
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Ehm, jet set... I dunno, it's seems to carry a more stale atmosphere than most other things sy's done. Kinda like they didn't really want to make an album when they made jet set. But it has it's moments, it's just from a rough spot.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 11:01 PM   #24
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know--I think maybe people are mistaking the lack of typical Sonic youth "intensity" for apathy, when really it was something else entirely. I sense a very definite atmosphere and feeling from the record.

It's good to know that Master-Dik wasn't part of the original Sister record...it should never have even been included on the CD...It belongs on the Ciccone record.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 12:04 AM   #25
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i love ejt & ns it is a great album and is different to everything sy have done
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 12:33 AM   #26
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
it's something i might pop in tonight.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 12:40 AM   #27
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Its seems to be that people who diss EJSTNS dislike the fact that its easy to listen to, just like "Dirty" is easy to listen to. Maybe they think the fact that its easy to listen to then thier other albums people have issues with it. I really don't know. Its a little more laid back, even a bit bluesy. I love the album still.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 12:51 AM   #28
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Its seems to be that people who diss EJSTNS dislike the fact that its easy to listen to, just like "Dirty" is easy to listen to. Maybe they think the fact that its easy to listen to then thier other albums people have issues with it. I really don't know. Its a little more laid back, even a bit bluesy. I love the album still.

I agree maybe it is some sort of indie cred thing, both albums are great, i would only bag them if i thought i was writing way better music than them and that aint gonna happen.....
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 01:47 AM   #29
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
I see that this album gets dissed quite a bit. But I've always loved the whole thing. I think it's a classic.

Absolutely man. It's really a unique, odd, intense album. It's ranked low on my list of favorite Sonic Youth records, but that's just cause I have to be in the right mood to listen to it. When it clicks it clicks and sounds like some of their best shit. I actually think it was one of my favorites for a long long time, back before I had all their records. I still like it better than Washing Machine, which I really really need to be in the mood to listen to. EJST+NS has very interesting Lee guitar parts, something I don't think gets enough recognition. I have no idea why some people think its like their peak of commercial recording. What because Butch Vig produced it? Because Bull in the Heather got some play? Don't get it.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 02:31 AM   #30
Sn@ke
bad moon rising

Sn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's asses
Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star is great!.I don't know how people don't like it, I like it better than Dirty.

Sn@ke

Sn@ke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 03:12 AM   #31
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I remember when it came out I was in danger of not liking them as much if they didn't deliver something a bit more interesting after the intense polish of Dirty... I came home with the record a little nervous... put it on.... sat down and let it wash over me... boy was I relieved, they really fucked with the format on this one... you didn't know what was going to happen next as far as song structure goes, and I applaud them for that... also that marvelous sound collage gift at the end of Sweet Shine on the CD version.
Also they used the great Jack Brewer quote 'Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised' on the sleeve, which says it all I think.

So you could say that this album restored my faith in them.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 03:18 AM   #32
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
haven´t listened to EJSTNS in a long time

It has some really nice tunes on it but it´s not a perfect album as a whole, in my opinion.
not in my sy top ten
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 04:38 AM   #33
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
awww, i love it. to me Dirty and Goo was their mainstream/more commercial stuff and Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star is them taking the piss out of themselves for doing that and the whole commercial mainstream industry as a whole. its like them going "okay we went comerical, now lets take the laugh at ourselves"
plus, im screamingskull, so you know i love that album anyway.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 05:24 AM   #34
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Jet Set to me is a transition album. It's got its fair share of good songs (especially the first 5 IIRC) but it seems direction-less. It sometimes feels like leftover songs...like Radiohead's "Amnesiac".
I do, however, like it better than NYCG&F.
Old 04.27.2006, 07:54 AM   #35
TheyLiveByNight
little trouble girl

TheyLiveByNight has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I've always loved this album. Finding it on cassette in my sister's room all these years ago is the reason I love Sonic Youth to this day. Okay, so there's no Lee songs, but it has some of the best Kim songs.
TheyLiveByNight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 08:18 AM   #36
the big quasar
stalker

the big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's assesthe big quasar kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
I like Skink and Doctor's Orders and Tokyo Eye and Winner's Blues.

I'm with you 100% It's a strong album.

the big quasar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 08:28 AM   #37
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i fuckin love EJSTANS, its the one record i used to get my best mate onto Sonic Youth, its a classic album, actually gives me an idea for a signature.... starfield rd? sweet shine? so many great tunes on it why do people have a problem with it?
Old 04.27.2006, 08:42 AM   #38
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
love that album to bits.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 09:35 AM   #39
making the drama scene
bad moon rising

making the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know ejst&ns until last summer, when a friend of mine introduced it to me....and I was enjoying it that much, that I went to a record store the next day and bought it, because I liked it that much (hasn't changed yet)

By the way I started smoking again this evening, listening to the album
making the drama scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 10:16 AM   #40
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
The reason I rank EJSTNS so low on SY's albums is because it is very inconsistent. I end up skipping about half of the tracks. The first 4 tracks are great... but it really sags in the middle. Not to mention that Thurston's lyrics are pretty awful. Kim's songs, for the most part, are really good. But a lot of them sound the same. Also, there are no Lee tracks on the album to balance everything out. Screaming Skull is one of the worst SY tracks ever. Waist and In the Mind of the Bourgeois Reader are both really lame. Tokyo Eye is repetitive and boring. I think Winner's Blues, Bull in the Heather, Starfield Road, and Sweet Shine are all great tracks, but the rest of the albums just isn't very good. I'm also not a big fan of the production... they are trying too hard to sound noisy and I don't like all of the digital effects they use.
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth