Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page L.A. 'Secret' Show?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.09.2006, 05:54 PM   #221
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffie
Were you the dude with the Snakes on a Plane shirt?
Yeah that was me.
Old 07.09.2006, 06:09 PM   #222
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
T: How is it over there on your side of the stage?
L: It's good. (or something like that) How is it over there?
T:Total destruction. (Starts playing)
That was classic. When Thurston said that his face looked like he was having a blast. I wish I had that part on video.

It was really hard to meet the band because they were constantly talking to people. So I just kind of shook their hand and said great show. Lee seemed really cool, though. He actually looked happy to hear me say that, even though I'm sure it was the 800th time he heard it that night. Kim seemed pretty distracted and didn't really say anything. Thurston just said "hey" and laughed; kind of awkward. Steve was talking to people when I saw him and I couldn't find him after that. But it was a good experience.

I actually liked Awesome Color. Even the random singer guy that I didn't even know was in the band. They were fun, and if I hadn't been anxiously awaiting SY I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. The drummer seemed like an interesting person. She looks 15. The guitarist was great. At one point he just started drinking a beer while strumming randomly, and then started using the bottle as slide. His strap fell off half way through a song and he made the best of it, which was cool. Turned it into a show. The singer was...Different. I thought he was really entertaining, but I can't really begin to describe him.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:19 PM   #223
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I actually liked Awesome Color. Even the random singer guy that I didn't even know was in the band. They were fun, and if I hadn't been anxiously awaiting SY I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. The drummer seemed like an interesting person. She looks 15. The guitarist was great. At one point he just started drinking a beer while strumming randomly, and then started using the bottle as slide. His strap fell off half way through a song and he made the best of it, which was cool. Turned it into a show. The singer was...Different. I thought he was really entertaining, but I can't really begin to describe him.
I don't think that he was officially in the band. I bought their CD, and there are only 3 people in the band, and some people that added stuff to songs. There is only one song that has additional vocals, I can't read the name because Derek (the singer) signed over that spot. Maybe he is just a friend.I got all 3 of them to sign my CD. Allison, the drummer, was super nice. She was really cool, she asked me my name, and talked to me a little about the show. Her drumming reminded me how much I wanted to buy a drum set and started learning drums, so I've been looking around for a kit. The CD is a bit repetative, but it's rockin'.
Old 07.09.2006, 06:47 PM   #224
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
When their singer [Awesome Colour's] came on I thought it was someone from the audience.
Ha, that's what I thought as well.

Quote:
Now some SY stuff. Kim is so much hotter live and her dance moves rocked.
Ditto.

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:55 PM   #225
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
When they left for the last time Thurston grabbed 2 water bottles and threw them. They both passed right by me. I didn't catch any of them but my friend got the second one. I bought him a shirt and some buttons. I told him if he gave me the bottle, he wouldn't have to pay me back for the stuff, so he gave me the water bottle. What should I do with it? I think it was Kim's. She drank a little bit out of it.
If you drink it, you'll get 'Kim' powers.

--HaydenAsche
Old 07.09.2006, 07:13 PM   #226
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I don't think that he was officially in the band. I bought their CD, and there are only 3 people in the band, and some people that added stuff to songs. There is only one song that has additional vocals, I can't read the name because Derek (the singer) signed over that spot. Maybe he is just a friend.I got all 3 of them to sign my CD. Allison, the drummer, was super nice. She was really cool, she asked me my name, and talked to me a little about the show. Her drumming reminded me how much I wanted to buy a drum set and started learning drums, so I've been looking around for a kit. The CD is a bit repetative, but it's rockin'.

Yeah he's not actually in the band. When they played sac they said it was their good friend from michigan.
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 07:15 PM   #227
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookid
If you drink it, you'll get 'Kim' powers.
Make sure it's hers though. You don't want to get Lee powers.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 07:17 PM   #228
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Make sure it's hers though. You don't want to get Lee powers.
I like Lee's hair!

And at any rate, it is much better than J Mascis' hair.
Old 07.09.2006, 10:08 PM   #229
SubSonicPumpAction
little trouble girl

SubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's asses
Vincent Gallo, Carla from Autolux, the keyboardist from the mars volta. Satan. Cody, lee's son.

s
SubSonicPumpAction is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 10:11 PM   #230
Gookid
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonicPumpAction
Vincent Gallo, Carla from Autolux, the keyboardist from the mars volta. Satan. Cody, lee's son.

s
No kidding? Where did you see Vincent Gallo?

--HaydenAsche
Old 07.09.2006, 11:00 PM   #231
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know Gallo was into sonic youth.
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 04:03 AM   #232
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
Great show, I really liked the venue apart from the heat. I wish they could have 'jammed' a bit more, but I guess Rather Ripped isn't that kind of album. I thought the sound was really good though, especially the loud drums in the mix. I guess I sort of hoped they might pull out a few surprises being a "secret show" but I like the new album so it wasn't a big deal. I left with a new (renewed) excitement for Sonic Youth.

Also, the Awesome Color drummer seemed to constantly smile as she played...reminded me a bit of the youngest Hanson, not in a bad way.

P.S. Wasn't it something like "In 1982 at Al's Bar?" May have heard it wrong myself, but...
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 05:19 AM   #233
Robo J.
empty page

Robo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blots
Great show, I really liked the venue apart from the heat. I wish they could have 'jammed' a bit more, but I guess Rather Ripped isn't that kind of album.

My same thought at the start, but I remembered that the show was being brodcasted live on the radio, and they had to be done at midnight. For example, their set was originally going to include "Neutral," but they ran short on time.

At least we got to hear "Eric's Trip" y'know?

I bet you if they weren't brodcasting it on the radio, they would've done a little more "experimenting"

oh well...it's fuckin' Sonic Youth!
Robo J. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 09:41 AM   #234
Gookid
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blots
P.S. Wasn't it something like "In 1982 at Al's Bar?" May have heard it wrong myself, but...

"Hey, it's nice to be back downtown again. I think the last time we were here was in 1982 at Al's Bar. That's right. We just went over and saw Ed Colvers' uh photography exhibition at the brewery, which is on Main Street."

--HaydenAsche
Old 07.10.2006, 11:25 AM   #235
anazgnos
empty page

anazgnos has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
No kidding? Where did you see Vincent Gallo?

I saw him in the crowd. My friend saw him when he came up to Thurston & Watt to say hello during AC (who were standing right in front of us), and then went back to his date, who, for a time, we were certain was PJ Harvey...turned out to be someone who just looked a lot like her from the back.
Also spotted: Eric Erlandson from Hole. He's at pretty much every show in LA, though.
anazgnos is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 01:28 PM   #236
littleradio
empty page

littleradio has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
http://www.littleradio.com/wp-conten...57594193867068
littleradio is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 02:01 PM   #237
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Was Vincent Gallo trying to prostitute himself out or sell people his sperm? Thats the only reason I can think of why he would be there.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 02:18 PM   #238
Gookid
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine
Was Vincent Gallo trying to prostitute himself out or sell people his sperm? Thats the only reason I can think of why he would be there.
Or perhaps he's got deep connections with the New York Art scene of old, and likes Sonic Youth?

--HaydenAsche
Old 07.10.2006, 02:23 PM   #239
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Or perhaps he's got deep connections with the New York Art scene of old, and likes Sonic Youth?
Its possible...but I doubt it.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 02:36 PM   #240
Gookid
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine
Its possible...but I doubt it.

You're kidding me, right?

--HaydenAsche
91011 12 13 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth