Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What's wrong with my Record Player?!?!?!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.27.2006, 12:15 AM   #21
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
if you have any collector stuff dont play it on that without a good stylus. 7" that run at 33 rpm are goodness more song small record
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 04:48 AM   #22
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila
Hey i have another question! what speed are the big vinly records? are those 33s? then there are the little tiny records...what speed are those?
Aww, Laila, you've made my day! That is the cutest thing I've heard anyone say in ages! (and I mean that in the nicest possible way)

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 07:22 AM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Why do girls always by stereo equipment that looks nice with the decor but is actually a heap of shit that, if not fucked on buying, will break within a year of moderate use?

In answer to your question Laila - send it back, get a better one, spend some money on a new one or by one second hand. That is a piece of shit.

On a less invective-spattered note, if your connections to speakers are all fine- and again, don't buy cheap cables, not really worth it; I've got the most expensive cables I could find, and the difference is astonishing - and you have got a slip-matt [Ha. Happy Hardcore anyone?] - that is, a little bit of rubber or fabric which sits on the turntable (the bit where you put the records) and everything else is as it should be, then:

1. It could be the weighting on the arm that's causing the skipping - try taping a small coin to the top of the needle - I use 2pence peices, but I'm sure a 'dime' or a 'quarter' or whatever will do.

2. Obvious answer, but still - try wiping the needle with a (dry) clothes or your finger.

3. Check where the arm is relative to the record - the best way to do this is to compare it with another record player. A lot of record players (but not all, especially cheap ones) you can adjust the alignment of the arm so that it runs perpendicular to the groove of the record. Idealy, the arm, when resting, should run parallel to the straight edge to its right. That is, looking from above, imagining it to be 2-dminensional, you have a box, and the arm should run parallel with the right edge of that box. This is not something you would immediately notice, but will cause skipping otherwise.

4. Check that the needle is connected to the tone-arm - occasionally, and probably in transit in your case, the needle will come away slightly from the cartridge (which is the bit that send the sound along the arm to the speakers) which will mean that sound is coming out but not properly, and usually muffled. It sounds like this is the case with yours. If the needle is detachable (and you really have bought the worlds biggest heap of shit if its not), then gently pull at the edges of it (not the needle itself, the red casing to which which the needle is attached) and gently push it back on until it 'clicks' back in place. I must emphasise, do this gently because you don't want to fuck up the needle/ arm/ cartridge. I remember seriously boning a record player once with my brutish, teenage hands, a mistake you make once in your life.

Apologies if my opening statement seems like I'm slagging you off, I don't mean it as such, but you have bought a piece of shit, and I would, before anything else, recommend getting something that is not a piece of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 07:50 AM   #24
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
okay thanx glice. My record player is fine now....i don't know what was wrong with it. i just fooled with the needle a little with my finger and now it's fine. and i don't think i'm going to return it cause unlike alot of people on the board, i'm not like a hardcore music collector or anything. i just bought this for rare use and cause it looked really cute. and plus i only have like two vinlys that are even worth playing anyways. thanx everyone!!

oh yeah and about that mat. yeah i think that rubbery thing that i always see on other tables is not on mine!! hmm... how the hell do i get one of those?

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 07:55 AM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Almost any decent record store will have some, or know how to get one. Just ask around for a slip mat. Or have a look online, I'm sure they're as easy as piss to get. I've just googled, there're about 15 gizillion places to get them on-line.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.27.2006, 08:02 AM   #26
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
yeah but i hate putting shit from online on my credit card. hahah i'm one of those paranoid people. anyways if i do decide to buy one, are they all the same size? or are they different sizes?

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Old 04.27.2006, 08:12 AM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

You very rarely get 7" ones, they're mostly 12" size (ie the size of the turntable). Don't worry about getting an expesive one, unless there's one with a particular design that you like. Any one should do the job.

Quote:
Old 04.27.2006, 07:29 PM   #28
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila
i get so much static and muffled sound on my record player that i bought today! it's brand new and i don't know what the hell is wrong with it. could it be the records? i don't think it is cause it really muffled on all the records i play and i don't know what's wrong. i read something online about needing some sort of "mat" for the unit...what the hell is that? and could that be what's wrong with it? cause i don't have any mat. my player didn't come with one.

The mat is to prevent the record from slipping. Sounds to me like your needle is broke or your speaker is blown though.

BTW, I have a leetac player too, if you didn't throw the box out, it has a few extra needles.

Glice, the Leetac player isn't all that bad. For casual listening, it is a nicy portable unit (as portable as a record player can be)
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 10:13 AM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
The mat is to prevent the record from slipping. Sounds to me like your needle is broke or your speaker is blown though.

BTW, I have a leetac player too, if you didn't throw the box out, it has a few extra needles.

Glice, the Leetac player isn't all that bad. For casual listening, it is a nicy portable unit (as portable as a record player can be)

You may well be right; however, the sheer look of it embodies everything I hate about bad record players - That is, it looks like it would fit in nicely and subtly with the decor. I want my record players to sound PHAT and I want them to be as ugly as the day, and I want them to be entirely inconvenient. Otherwise, you might as well just get a humidor and no cigars.

Quote:
Old 04.28.2006, 10:40 AM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
sometimes the large 12" singles are set for 45rpms. sometimes, indie rock 7" singles are set for 33rpm, to pack in more songs.

laila's got VINYL!

I will now have a new person to fight with at the used record bins at all the Houston area half price books!
Old 04.28.2006, 10:55 AM   #31
Laila
the end of the ugly

haha yeah that's where i get my vinly too!!
or traders village but they are way over priced!

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Old 04.28.2006, 11:24 AM   #32
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I know what you mean Glice.

The tray load CD player is what sucks on it though. I really hate tray loaders, no skip protection.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2007, 06:53 PM   #33
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
One of her most underrated threads.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2007, 03:16 PM   #34
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I'll give it an 8.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2007, 03:50 AM   #35
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I miss Laila. She doesn't even visit her own chat page any more by the looks of it.

I hope she's okay.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2007, 02:07 PM   #36
mixtapegrrl
empty page

mixtapegrrl is a splendid one to beholdmixtapegrrl is a splendid one to beholdmixtapegrrl is a splendid one to beholdmixtapegrrl is a splendid one to beholdmixtapegrrl is a splendid one to beholdmixtapegrrl is a splendid one to beholdmixtapegrrl is a splendid one to beholdmixtapegrrl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Why do girls always by stereo equipment that looks nice with the decor but is actually a heap of shit that, if not fucked on buying, will break within a year of moderate use?

In answer to your question Laila - send it back, get a better one, spend some money on a new one or by one second hand. That is a piece of shit.

On a less invective-spattered note, if your connections to speakers are all fine- and again, don't buy cheap cables, not really worth it; I've got the most expensive cables I could find, and the difference is astonishing - and you have got a slip-matt [Ha. Happy Hardcore anyone?] - that is, a little bit of rubber or fabric which sits on the turntable (the bit where you put the records) and everything else is as it should be, then:

1. It could be the weighting on the arm that's causing the skipping - try taping a small coin to the top of the needle - I use 2pence peices, but I'm sure a 'dime' or a 'quarter' or whatever will do.

2. Obvious answer, but still - try wiping the needle with a (dry) clothes or your finger.

3. Check where the arm is relative to the record - the best way to do this is to compare it with another record player. A lot of record players (but not all, especially cheap ones) you can adjust the alignment of the arm so that it runs perpendicular to the groove of the record. Idealy, the arm, when resting, should run parallel to the straight edge to its right. That is, looking from above, imagining it to be 2-dminensional, you have a box, and the arm should run parallel with the right edge of that box. This is not something you would immediately notice, but will cause skipping otherwise.

4. Check that the needle is connected to the tone-arm - occasionally, and probably in transit in your case, the needle will come away slightly from the cartridge (which is the bit that send the sound along the arm to the speakers) which will mean that sound is coming out but not properly, and usually muffled. It sounds like this is the case with yours. If the needle is detachable (and you really have bought the worlds biggest heap of shit if its not), then gently pull at the edges of it (not the needle itself, the red casing to which which the needle is attached) and gently push it back on until it 'clicks' back in place. I must emphasise, do this gently because you don't want to fuck up the needle/ arm/ cartridge. I remember seriously boning a record player once with my brutish, teenage hands, a mistake you make once in your life.

Apologies if my opening statement seems like I'm slagging you off, I don't mean it as such, but you have bought a piece of shit, and I would, before anything else, recommend getting something that is not a piece of shit.

i have that exact same record player, and it SUCKS. i feel bad saying that because it was a gift, but it's poor quality. i had this great old one that my US History II teacher gave to me a few years back when i graduated high school and it was so good, but it got worn out over time and i don't know where i could go to get it repaired.
Old 01.18.2007, 02:26 PM   #37
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
She reccommended it to me when I was looking for one, but I was really hesitant to buy it because it looks a little tacky, especially because of the built-in CD player, and it doesn't support external speakers. I ended up picking up one of these.

I miss laila too! I even wondered if the poster laile was her
Old 01.18.2007, 06:16 PM   #38
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
yes what ever happened to that young lady, possibly some of the racist taunts she got by some fuckwit on the board i guess
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2007, 06:17 PM   #39
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Three fuckwits on the board, for that matter, the bastards. She was one of the good ones.

The forum like Big Brother now.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth