Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The God Machine
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2007, 02:09 AM   #1
sarramkrop

I can't find my old thread about them , so i've thought of starting a new one about this most brilliant of bands. Seriously underrated (if only because it's not easy getting hold of their records, especially in the USA), they were peculiar , starting from their own history. Originally from Chula Vista, a suburb of San Diego, they moved to London (UK) with just about £ 100 between them and a few guitars. Here they played on the streets as buskers and were mainly homeless or accustomed to squatting, until they recorded their first album, the truly great 'Scenes From The Second Storey'.
A few years later they recorded their second album in Prague, 'One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying'. From there on they gained cult popularity until their bass player, Jimmy Fernandez, got in a coma and died in hospital. The remaining members decided that there was no reason carrying on with the band and the singer/guitarist, Robin Proper-Sheppard, went on to form Sophia. The latter are touring throughout Europe at the moment, so if you get a chance, don't miss them. Here's The God Machine's unofficial myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=186 81828

Sophia's website:
http://www.sophiamusic.net/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2007, 03:08 AM   #2
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
ah, I have one of their songs on a compilation. It's called 'the devil song' but yeah have yet to find any of their records since. Cheers for the myspace though. While we're on the subject of underated bands check this lot out. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=814 56333
totally underated, their third album is one of my favourites.

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2007, 03:34 AM   #3
sarramkrop

Thanks for the link. Pm me if you want me to send you some God Machine music.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2007, 08:54 AM   #4
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
aww i used to fuckin love The god Machine,

they were a band that one of my older brothers friends introduced me to by handing me a tape! a fuckin tape!

it was "scenes from the second storey" and i listened to the thing to death!
once it was gone it was gone and i was mad to get it again.
Old 04.21.2007, 04:31 AM   #6
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
just got my hands on the totally unavailable one last laugh in aplace of dying. fucking awesome album! it was about 10 years since i last heard it! amazing band and a heartbreaking tragic story to boot!
Old 04.21.2007, 04:49 AM   #7
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
From what I've heard they're absolutely brilliant.
Old 04.21.2007, 07:03 AM   #8
sarramkrop

I'll be pming you guys in a bit. The file is uploading on badongo now. The rest i'll do another day.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2007, 08:39 AM   #9
sarramkrop

For those i sent the the scenes file to, it also contains the intro to one of Sophia's gigs.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth