Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Mark Ibold On Bass? That kicks ass
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.14.2006, 11:12 PM   #1
joeyg
empty page

joeyg has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I don't know about anyone esle but when I saw Mark playing bass on Jimmy Kimmel Live I lost my mind. THen seeing at the 08/11 show was a blast. Sy couldnt have picked a better person to play with them. If anyone remembers Pavement and has seen them live u know how good this guy is for that type of music. I hope they keep playing w/ him for a while.
joeyg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 11:19 PM   #2
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
yeh. Mark fits like some kind of hand warming apparel. Doesn't sound like Sonic's gonna revert back to the quatro for road life no time soon. Ibold, get used to it.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2006, 06:20 PM   #3
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
yeah? hopefully i'll see him and sy live in europe this year.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 06:21 AM   #4
habibtheantiamericanbitch
bad moon rising

habibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard sucka
he's pretty average and doesn't really add anything. saw pavement live once (lolla'95) and wasn't too impressed. but then, i never was a fan of this mediocre outfit. i could think of a better choice on bass- MIKE MUTHAFUKKIN WATTPOWER!!! i'll take the quartet anyday, if no Jim......

anyone remember the days when Kim actually played????
habibtheantiamericanbitch is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I think he does a good job.
Old 08.16.2006, 08:26 AM   #6
making the drama scene
bad moon rising

making the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by habibtheantiamericanbitch
he's pretty average and doesn't really add anything. saw pavement live once (lolla'95) and wasn't too impressed. but then, i never was a fan of this mediocre outfit. i could think of a better choice on bass- MIKE MUTHAFUKKIN WATTPOWER!!! i'll take the quartet anyday, if no Jim......

anyone remember the days when Kim actually played????

he's not a member of sy....he plays what he is told to...he can't just add anything and play the bass as if he's the one everbody comes to the show for unless they don't play as "Mark Ibold and the Sonic Youth"
he's giving his best and i'm sure kim has her reasons why she does not play the bass all the time....so, he's doing her a favor playing her parts

at least that's what i think...aah...actually i don't know
making the drama scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 09:14 AM   #7
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
yeh. Mark fits like some kind of hand warming apparel.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 09:19 AM   #8
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Kim should just pick up the guiatar on some of the songs. Two basses playing the same thing is stupid and useless. Jim knew how to add intertwining lines in SY.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 11:39 AM   #9
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Ibold will have that Rourke supercharged role next SY album/tour.....minus the production and stuff. And learning Japanese...(What the hell was that all about?) I wanna hear some of Jims solo stuff.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 11:43 AM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
idiots. Kim plays bass on 1/3 of the songs on tour. she plays guitar on another 1/3 and when she sings solo Mark plays her bass lines, so she can rock with us to her vicious and delicious rock n roll noise.

worship the youth. they will never let you down like that jesus fuck and that Mohammed ballsac.
Old 08.16.2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Ono Soul
little trouble girl

Ono Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's asses
I read in a recent interview with Kim that she's developed a pretty bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome. She said something to the effect that "the style of punk rock bass she plays just wasn't meant to be sustained for 25 years". Makes sense when you think about it.... After reading that, I was surprised to see her play as much bass as she did when I saw them recently.
Ono Soul is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 12:39 PM   #12
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono Soul
I read in a recent interview with Kim that she's developed a pretty bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome. She said something to the effect that "the style of punk rock bass she plays just wasn't meant to be sustained for 25 years". Makes sense when you think about it.... After reading that, I was surprised to see her play as much bass as she did when I saw them recently.

yikes, is this true? haven't heard about it anywhere else... though i wouldn't dis-count this as avant improv guitarist Derek Bailey had carpal tunnel syndrome.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 01:44 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it is totally true. playing bass until age 53 is very damaging to the wrists and fingers.
Old 08.16.2006, 04:37 PM   #14
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Yea, Mark does a damn fine job. I like when Kim and Mark play bass at the same time.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 05:24 PM   #15
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
I saw him at the SY show in Milwaukee.

He was good, but he didn't add too much. It still would have been an incredible show without him.
Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 05:26 PM   #16
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus fucking Christ!

Mark Ibold has been playing bass for them for HOW LONG?
Old 08.16.2006, 05:34 PM   #17
habibtheantiamericanbitch
bad moon rising

habibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard sucka
not that they need my approval, but if for kim's medical reasons, that's cool. me, i just thought they did fantastic as a 4-piece and kim would be a full part of the noise freakouts. now she's either tickling a barely audible guitar or spinning profusely like stevie nicks (sans tamborine)...... guess i figure if yr gonna have a guest in the band he/she should offer something more than the mere baseline. dunno, i'm talking outta my ass and bitching about something that really isn't even a problem!!!
habibtheantiamericanbitch is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth